kudos:1
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology
reply to Lazy Senior

Re: [IA] Pace HD DVR

said by Lazy Senior:

said by Anonymous:

But again not something that I have to deal with.

FWIW Directv does not provide HDMI cables for their equipment. They will give you composite cables for hookup even on their HD boxes. However the Tech will tell you upfront that if you do not use HDMI you will not get a HD picture/DD5.1 audio. He may also try to sell you a HDMI cable for $50 "under the Table".
This makes the Tech a nice profit because you can buy them for under $10 at Amazon...

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it. The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs, as many as necessary. They are issued to techs in large quantities to ensure they never run out.

If a tech is trying to profit from these cables, it should be reported.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by DJ:

Wrong, very wrong. DirecTV requires HDMI connection when the customer has the conection for it.

The HDMI cables are provided free for all techs

I have had 2 or 3 different HD DTV installs in the last 8 years. I have never been offered a free HDMI cable. My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

DJ
Premium
join:2001-06-13
Opelika, AL
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

said by Lazy Senior:

My last install 12 months ago I was told by the installer that both HD DVR's (HR24 and HR34) did not come with HDMI cables. I watched the Tech open both (brand new sealed) boxes and there was no HDMI cable included. However the Tech just happened to have some in the truck...

I had my own HDMI cables which the tech used. It might be wrong but it is happening..

Correct, the receivers are not packaged with HDMI, neither do they include component or composite cables. Not even a remote control! All of those items are supplied separately so the techs can use them only as needed. A few years ago DirecTV realized the vast amount of new cables and remotes being thrown away because they weren't needed on every job. Thus the reason why everything is packaged separately.

It's not a scam by any means. However if a tech is profiting off something we're supposed to be offering for free, it needs to be reported.

kelley3249

join:2012-07-03
Dubuque, IA
reply to SportsJunkie

I turned in my DVR and other boxes today and cancelled my TV service today. I am keeping internet and phone with them. Do they decrease my speeds since I don't have all three services?

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to Anonymous

Damn it Time for a box swap), (Yes I have a silver one that has it's paint peeling off of it)

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to kelley3249

VIP was 15 Mbit down and new prime hsd is also 15. But your service will be capped.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by Anonymous:

VIP was 15 Mbit down and new prime hsd is also 15. But your service will be capped.

The service will only be capped if the subscriber is not grandfathered in prior to cap implementation on 8/1/2012.

kelley3249

join:2012-07-03
Dubuque, IA

I have been an internet customer since 2005. I would guess that grandfather's me in then....?? Not that I would come close to hitting any sort of cap limit!

Anonymous
Premium
IA

You had HSD VIP and now you changed it to HSD Prime. So now you have capped service.
--

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by Anonymous:

You had HSD VIP and now you changed it to HSD Prime. So now you have capped service.

Not according to Chad. He has stated more than once in the forum that a change to TV service does not affect HSD grandfathered status.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

OK let me explain

The system will only allow currently available tiers to be entered. All of the tiers currently available are capped. When you have all 3 services you have HSD VIP tier. HSD VIP is only available to customers who have all 3 services. If one service is removed your HSD VIP tier will no longer be available to you. Another HSD tier will have to be entered and you guessed it it's going to be capped.

Eventually all HSD customers will end up on capped tiers because any future speed upgrades will not apply to you until you switch to one of the current tiers. Awesome right?
--