how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

skester

join:2011-10-25
Marietta, GA

U-verse more reliable than DSL?

I have had At&t DSL for a little over a year, installed with a Cat-5 home run line with a Wilcom DSL splitter at the network box. Unfortunately we have put up with fairly frequent outages that appears to be due to noise on the line prior to it entering the NID. It is intermittent, but sometimes the modem looses DSL lock for hours. Most of the time it is fine with speeds over 5Mbs.

My question is is there a reason to believe I would have better stability with U-verse? Or would it be just as likely to go out?

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
U-Verse is a form of DSL, VDSL to be exact. If you are having problems getting sync now then more than likely you will have problems with U-Verse. If there is noise in the line then AT&T needs to address that plant issue. I wouldn't spend any more money until the issue with DSL gets resolved.

skester

Marietta, GA
Not the answer I was hoping for, but the one I expected. Thanks for the reply.

skester

Marietta, GA
reply to skester
Would the length of the run on the copper lines be any different between U-verse and what I assume is the ADSL I have now? Or would the DSL and U-verse 'last mile' signals both start at the same point?

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
Both signals travel across the same copper. Your VDSL signal comes from the VRAD where the fiber connects to the copper. The same signal comes to your house via single or bonded pair. That's why I suggest you have AT&T resolve the noise issue before you spend any more money on any new service.