Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

donteatpork

join:2013-01-07

Paypal demands SSN and photo ID. my solution

Click for full size
Click for full size
Paypal one day decided they needed my SSN and Photo ID. After much grief and getting nowhere, I quit my paypal and ebay accounts and started new ones, but without the ability to "sell". Now, when I go thru paypal I do a direct charge to my visa card. Pretty easy. I won't say in words how angry I am at Paypal for intruding and causing such a headache.. Paypal, who is not a bank or a licensed financial institution(so I have read). NEVER give out your social security number!!!
My two cents....If anyone wants to collect data from you, make sure its false data. IRS ok, anyone else, go straight to hell. BTW, after I dumped my original accounts, I now receive these nice letters from PAYPAL asking me where I am, and that everything is ok and my account has been "fixed". Thanks paypal for the hassle!! So, I'm without the ability to sell on Ebay, that's fine. Craigslist seems to work for my purposes for now. But, I have a hunch, if I started a new ebay account (with sell capability), I'll bet it accepts me without a social security number. Which makes clear, all they want to do is collect more data about you. They don't need it.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

The problem is idiots who support the "you're a terrorist if you stand up and force your elected officials to vote against elimination of personal privacy" idiocy. Paypal the way you're using it is considered a depository institution, and by law *MUST* obtain and verify your SSN and identity. If you don't like it, then organize your family, friends, and neighbors, and gang-up on your Congressperson and Senators for them to repeal PATRIOT and all the other invasive laws that have been going in since *before* 9/11. Simply bitching about it on the Internet accomplishes NOTHING.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to donteatpork
Keep in mind it could also be to protect themselves from fraud.

Edit : Honestly, what do you think they will do with those information? They won't start looking at everyone's background. They don't care at all about this. All they want to do be able to find you if you are a frauder, and your money.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to donteatpork

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to donteatpork
Time to change the furnace filter