how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itsme74

join:2013-01-06
Wilson, NC
reply to itsme74

Re: Drafty, cold air vents in ceiling. HELP!

chimney area

looking down chimney area
MATTMAG: As far as the return vents, when I turn the heat on the plastic doesn't move. But remember, it's the A/C/heat vents that has the cold air falling out and those vents are located between the floors. I even pull the vent covers off to make sure the leak wasn't just coming around the sides and it was but when sealed that off you could still feel air blowing from inside the vents.

The soffit area is clear. It's the only place I didn't try to insulate in the attic b/c the chimney is coming through that space. In the pics above you can see the chimney go all the way down where it connects to the fireplace and on the right side you see the dryer vent hose which comes out on the side of the house. In the outside pic I took, if you look real close you can just see the edge of the dryer vent cap on the far left parallel to the security light.

And I don't know why, but it keeps turning the pics counter-clockwise. Hope the pics help. And by the way, I know I need to replace that plastic dryer vent hose. In fact, I replaced it halfway with the metal one but can't get across to the other side to complete it and haven't found anyone that wants to try it either.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

OK, this is getting a bit confusing. Above you said

" Underneath the silver "box" is a 14x14 vent in the ceiling of the hall way upstairs. That duct runs and connects to another 14x14 vent in the ceiling of the living room. There was cold air falling out of both vents."

That made it sound like the air was coming out of those vents. I'd still be checking then to see if there is a fresh air intake to the HVAC somewhere.

As far as the "soffit area is clear", the soffit runs the entire length of the roof, if it was done properly. There should be light visible from the attic all along that distance, not just the one area. If it actually is just the one area, that may explain why they added the the fan vent, as it would be insufficient.

At least the dryer is vented outside--that's good, but the droop in that line is a time-bomb. Keep up your efforts to get that corrected.

itsme74

Wilson, NC

Right. In my original post I complained that there was cold air falling out of the A/C/heat vents when the heat is not on and still is the complaint. I posted later about the silver box and the 14x14 vents to give additional information. Sorry if I am confusing you. I'm just trying to figure out where the air is coming from. And I still think that the fireplace is connected to problem somehow even though I have it sealed off with plastic. Like I said in the original post, when I open the front door the plastic sucks in and then when I close the front door the plastic blows out or away from the fireplace. I can't think of any other places where air could be getting in to cause a draft from the vents and a sealed off fireplace. Does that make sense??

itsme74

Wilson, NC

vent inside the house

vent outside the house
Click for full size
different view of same vent
I think I found the problem. I don't know why I never noticed this before. See pics above. I think this gray vent on the outside connects to the ducts inside the house. I posted pics to show but the vent in the house (kitchen) is directly behind the vent outside. And it looks like the vent outside isn't flush with the wall. And this is where I feel most of the air coming in and it's a lot colder in the kitchen. I hope this is it. I think it is. Regardless, I want to thank you guys for your time and help. I will still post what I find out from the energy audit tomorrow.

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

I believe that is a range hood vent by looking at it?

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by mattmag:

I believe that is a range hood vent by looking at it?

Bathroom exhaust vent or dryer? One of the pictures posted had a white round plastic flex duct in it.