join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Blackbird

Re: Alex Jones Detained By TSA

said by Blackbird:

Hunting for that airport...

Looking for love airports in all the wrong places?
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to jaykaykay

He's not quite 40 years old? Man, he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to Ian

quote:
If airport security asks you to remove your shoes, do so.

Do you know why they have you remove your shoes? The real reason?

From what I recently read, the metal detectors stop about 5 inches from the floor. The reason why is because men's shoes and some women's shoe have a steel shank in the arch for arch support.

So instead of extending the metal detectors range, we now have to remove our footware. As an extension of that, thanks to the sneaker bomber, they get sent through the xray machine.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by burner50:

Just the airport screeners.

As someone pointed out above the TSA does more than just screen at airports.

I live 35 miles from the nearest airport but uniformed DHS/TSA agents have been seen in town. I know of nothing that would require TSA like security around here. What were they up to? Someone I know asked them and they gave a non-committal answer.

I don't know everything they do, but they also work in freight rail yards.

Every once in awhile, I'll see a few suburbans with a full tactical team inside... all with TSA Credentials. I don't mind having TSA around... but I don't deal with body scanners, pat downs, etc...

I work in a high threat urban area, and on more than one occasion, they have accompanied me when I spot a load of some particularly nasty stuff at a customer facility. They seem more interested in making sure that my positive handoff paperwork is correct than anything.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

traveldewd

@64.253.179.x
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by burner50:

Just the airport screeners.

As someone pointed out above the TSA does more than just screen at airports.

I live 35 miles from the nearest airport but uniformed DHS/TSA agents have been seen in town. I know of nothing that would require TSA like security around here. What were they up to? Someone I know asked them and they gave a non-committal answer.

I'm confused, were they DHS or TSA? DHS has its own "agents" outside of TSA.

As to TSA, it is the Transportation Security Agency which covers all modes of transportation, not just airports. Of course you also don't know they might just like the coffee in town.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to StuartMW

Alex Jones is a freaking loony nutcase. I don't blame the government for putting him a on watch list. Here are just a few examples of conspiracy theories Jones has promoted:

• The Oklahoma City Bombing was "carried out by intelligence agencies" with "Bill Clinton's involvement."

The government is using products like juice boxes to "encourage homosexuality with chemicals so that people don't have children."

• The U.S. government was behind the 9/11 attacks. Jones describes himself as being on "the front lines of the growing global information war from ground zero to the occult playgrounds of the power-mad elite. Jones predicted the attacks on September 11th, 2001 and is considered one of the very first founding fathers of the 9-11 Truth Movement."

• The government has set up FEMA concentration camps in America, and "the military-industrial complex is transforming our once free nation into a giant prison camp."

• President Obama is transforming the United States into "something that resembles Nazi Germany, with forced National Service, domestic civilian spies, warrantless wiretaps, the destruction of the Second Amendment, FEMA camps and Martial Law."

• The BP oil spill "could have been manufactured."

Jones has also pushed numerous conspiracy theories about weather control, mass sterilization, and the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster. In June 2012, Jones' Infowars.com promoted the myth that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was using drones to spy on Midwestern ranchers. Finally, the radio host has declared that Obama's birth certificate is a fraud.

Expand your moderator at work

traveldewd

@64.253.179.x
reply to Snakeoil

said by Snakeoil:

quote:
If airport security asks you to remove your shoes, do so.

Do you know why they have you remove your shoes? The real reason?

From what I recently read, the metal detectors stop about 5 inches from the floor. The reason why is because men's shoes and some women's shoe have a steel shank in the arch for arch support.

So instead of extending the metal detectors range, we now have to remove our footware. As an extension of that, thanks to the sneaker bomber, they get sent through the xray machine.

That would be a misinterpretation of the NIJ's standard test procedure which starts with a test object at ankle height.

Commonsense would dictate if this were correct then we would have been removing our shoes prior to 9/11 since WTDMs have been in place at airports for quite some time.

So if the metal detectors didn't detect metal in shoes prior to the shoe bomber, how where they inspected.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

You know there are times that I wished posting sites had the following feature the applied to all members.

Whenever a member clicks to access a thread for the first time the only thing that would come up would be the OP, nothing else in the thread. The poster then would have to click an affirmation they had read the OP. That would then trigger total and unrestricted access to everything posted in that thread.

The TSA sucks. In more ways than one. Requests for information under the federal FOIA allows for exemption that can be loosely interpreted or applied by the agency from which the information is being requested.

I never heard of Alex Jones until today on another website forum where a well known crazy poster there of the opposite ideological perspective was making fun of Jones and some problem Jones had when appearing on the Piers Morgan show.

One political loon poster complaining making fun of another political loon "poster" and talking head.

Meanwhile the TSA is a perfect example of the saying, "I'm from the government and I am here to help you."

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Ian

I first read of this on DI yesterday and i cant believe Alex DID ANYTHING THEY WANTED!!!!! (Alex is supposed to be setting an example of how NOT TO BE A PAWN for them)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

So what's new here?

Those in power (and those who want to be in power) have kept enemy lists since the first Neanderthal proclaimed himself to be the leader of his clan because he got in the last punch and was the "last man standing" after the last "my stick is the biggest" fight.

In 1776 our founding fathers declared that this is not proper and this was reinforced in 1789 with the Bill of Rights. So while this doesn't go back to caveman times, it still is pretty established that this is not appropriate, correct or acceptable.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to Anon

said by Austinloop:

I do not use that word to their faces. You are still wrong. Thru the years I have found that TSA agents/screeners are definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer and enjoy using their authority over people in a random, silly assed fashion. For example the documented searching of young children and grandmothers. Given these things, why you think I have any respect for them. I only give respect to the twits so that I can go on about my business and not have to put up with their groping.

I am by no means a TSA fanboi; one of the nicest benefits of my retirement has been that I don't have to put up with their theatrical security act several times a week (and sometimes it was several times a day) when I was providing network support to several airlines.

However, in some cases they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Standing rules that prohibit profiling means that everyone must at least appear to receive the same treatment (even infants, toddlers, and grandmothers). Also, even without the profiling prohibition, infants, toddlers, and grandmothers can be used to smuggle all kinds of contraband (potentially dangerous and/or just illegal), so should they really be exempt?.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

slckusr
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Greenville, SC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to StuartMW

One of my friends is on the watchlist(she gets pulled to the special room and stripped every flight), and my mother cant fly at all(something about greenpeace when she was younger.) I havent flown since the organization took control, so im not sure of my standing.

Its ok though im happy with my car.

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable

Has your friend or mother ever petitioned the government to have their name(s) removed from that list and if so what was the governments response to them or do they just not care and deal with being inconvenienced?
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to slckusr

This does beg the question how is it in a free society people would be prepared to tolerate secret lists for secret reasons with no trial and no recourse?

Freedom is not just about the rights of citizens its about protecting institutions from human nature (power = corruption).

It is not surprising TSA would leverage its power to harass dissenters. The only surprise is that its tolerated.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by dslcreature:

This does beg the question how is it in a free society people would be prepared to tolerate secret lists for secret reasons with no trial and no recourse?

Freedom is not just about the rights of citizens its about protecting institutions from human nature (power = corruption).

It is not surprising TSA would leverage its power to harass dissenters. The only surprise is that its tolerated.

That is the difference between theory (and a feeling for what is "right") and how the real world works. J. Edgar Hoover had his own private enemies list (which he used in his role of FBI director), and also his own private list of where a great many skeletons were buried (and who put them there). It was the latter list that kept anyone from seriously complaining about the former list as long as he lived.

Even at the local level, it would be a very unusual local PD or Sheriff's office that did not maintain an "unofficial" enemies list that was utilized when it was felt that the need was present.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA
reply to NetFixer

In the real world you can keep a list of people you dislike but you don't get to punch them in the face without facing legal consequences.

Nixon can hate Jack Anderson all he wants. Does not mean he gets to execute him.

Examples of corruption and illegal activities of past leaders does not legitimize their behavior any more than robbery legitimizes stealing.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by dslcreature:

In the real world you can keep a list of people you dislike but you don't get to punch them in the face without facing legal consequences.

Nixon can hate Jack Anderson all he wants. Does not mean he gets to execute him.

Examples of corruption and illegal activities of past leaders does not legitimize their behavior any more than robbery legitimizes stealing.

You are attempting to attribute words that I did not use in my previous post to me. Nowhere in my previous post did I make any reference to whether the use of a private enemies (or hit) list by politically powerful people/organizations was legitimate (or not). There is a huge difference between simply recognizing that something exists, and making a judgement about its "legitimacy". Eventually, history is the judge of an action's legitimacy (and that often of course, depends somewhat upon who is writing the history).

My rather obvious point was that such lists were/are kept by politically powerful people/organizations, and that should come as no surprise to anyone with a basic knowledge of history or current events.

And yes, the people/organizations who keep/kept such lists sometimes do/did indeed have individuals on said lists executed with impunity. Whether such an action is/was "legitimate" or not has no direct relationship to whether that action is/was taken or not. Such activity has happened in the past, and it continues to happen today (in the real world).
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I don't know who Alex Jones is, and don't really care, but this part of the article caught my eye.

I don't believe that first statement. You've routinely posted links to infowars.com, Alex Jones's site.

»Video Shows TSA's Bizarre New Security Policy

»DHS Prepares for Civil Unrest...

»Re: Beware the spy in the sky (last link in your post)

»Re: Groups Concerned Over Arming Of Domestic Drones

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by fatness:

I don't believe that first statement.

LOL. Call me a liar and see if I care

I post lots of links. Doesn't mean I frequent those sites and agree/disgree with them. I usually get them from somewhere else (news sites etc).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!