share rss forum feed

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

reply to slckusr

Re: Alex Jones Detained By TSA

This does beg the question how is it in a free society people would be prepared to tolerate secret lists for secret reasons with no trial and no recourse?

Freedom is not just about the rights of citizens its about protecting institutions from human nature (power = corruption).

It is not surprising TSA would leverage its power to harass dissenters. The only surprise is that its tolerated.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by dslcreature:

This does beg the question how is it in a free society people would be prepared to tolerate secret lists for secret reasons with no trial and no recourse?

Freedom is not just about the rights of citizens its about protecting institutions from human nature (power = corruption).

It is not surprising TSA would leverage its power to harass dissenters. The only surprise is that its tolerated.

That is the difference between theory (and a feeling for what is "right") and how the real world works. J. Edgar Hoover had his own private enemies list (which he used in his role of FBI director), and also his own private list of where a great many skeletons were buried (and who put them there). It was the latter list that kept anyone from seriously complaining about the former list as long as he lived.

Even at the local level, it would be a very unusual local PD or Sheriff's office that did not maintain an "unofficial" enemies list that was utilized when it was felt that the need was present.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
Expand your moderator at work

dslcreature
Premium
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA
reply to NetFixer

Re: Alex Jones Detained By TSA

In the real world you can keep a list of people you dislike but you don't get to punch them in the face without facing legal consequences.

Nixon can hate Jack Anderson all he wants. Does not mean he gets to execute him.

Examples of corruption and illegal activities of past leaders does not legitimize their behavior any more than robbery legitimizes stealing.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by dslcreature:

In the real world you can keep a list of people you dislike but you don't get to punch them in the face without facing legal consequences.

Nixon can hate Jack Anderson all he wants. Does not mean he gets to execute him.

Examples of corruption and illegal activities of past leaders does not legitimize their behavior any more than robbery legitimizes stealing.

You are attempting to attribute words that I did not use in my previous post to me. Nowhere in my previous post did I make any reference to whether the use of a private enemies (or hit) list by politically powerful people/organizations was legitimate (or not). There is a huge difference between simply recognizing that something exists, and making a judgement about its "legitimacy". Eventually, history is the judge of an action's legitimacy (and that often of course, depends somewhat upon who is writing the history).

My rather obvious point was that such lists were/are kept by politically powerful people/organizations, and that should come as no surprise to anyone with a basic knowledge of history or current events.

And yes, the people/organizations who keep/kept such lists sometimes do/did indeed have individuals on said lists executed with impunity. Whether such an action is/was "legitimate" or not has no direct relationship to whether that action is/was taken or not. Such activity has happened in the past, and it continues to happen today (in the real world).
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I don't know who Alex Jones is, and don't really care, but this part of the article caught my eye.

I don't believe that first statement. You've routinely posted links to infowars.com, Alex Jones's site.

»Video Shows TSA's Bizarre New Security Policy

»DHS Prepares for Civil Unrest...

»Re: Beware the spy in the sky (last link in your post)

»Re: Groups Concerned Over Arming Of Domestic Drones

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by fatness:

I don't believe that first statement.

LOL. Call me a liar and see if I care

I post lots of links. Doesn't mean I frequent those sites and agree/disgree with them. I usually get them from somewhere else (news sites etc).
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

I wouldn't call you a liar. It might just mean that you repost links without checking into their origin or credibility.

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by dave:

I wouldn't call you a liar. It might just mean that you repost links without checking into their origin or credibility.

Isn't that pretty much the normal procedure for this forum?
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to dave

said by dave:

I wouldn't call you a liar.

You didn't. Pretty sure fatness See Profile did but whatever.
--

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

2 recommendations

said by StuartMW:

said by dave:

Like J. Edgar, fatness See Profile can pretty much do whatever he likes.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

said by dave:

If I'd thought I had done so, I would have said "I didn't...". But I in fact stated my intention (for the immediate future, at least) of not doing so.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by dave:

But I in fact stated my intention (for the immediate future, at least) of not doing so.

Awww, just go ahead. You'll feel much better

You can also call me a tin-foil hatter, a racist, and anything else you think applies.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Does fatness wear dresses?

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by Bob4:

said by NetFixer:

Does fatness wear dresses?

Don't ask...don't tell.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by NetFixer:

Don't ask...don't tell.

Wasn't that repealed?
--

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by StuartMW:

said by NetFixer:

Don't ask...don't tell.

Wasn't that repealed?

Asking or telling ya, wearing dresses, nah.