Premium
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Comcast
reply to CharlesH1

Re: No Thanks, No Way

This is why I went with a URC remote, at least the Digital R50, as it didn't require downloads from a remote sever to program.

What if the server goes down, then no one can configure their remotes and they'd be useless until it comes back (and, what if it never did - although that's a little unlikely).

Sure, I can't add newly-released devices to the remote (without training it), but I can at least go with the local database, which happened to include all my devices - and besides having to plug the remote into a computer, would you have to do that to charge it too?

Seems like a waste if you did, because no one would be able to use the remote until then (especially if you have the computer far away from the TV).

BoteMan

join:2002-11-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by XANAVirus:

...What if the server goes down, then no one can configure their remotes and they'd be useless until it comes back (and, what if it never did - although that's a little unlikely).

I have an Acoustic Research ARIR200 Infinite Radio that streams a bunch of music and scanner streams off the Internet. I used to be able to store up to 6 preset stations via their online web portal. Said web portal went belly up a few months ago and they have no intention of seeking a replacement, so the presets currently in the radio are stuck in there forever and ever.

So it's not unlikely. In fact, relying on ANY "cloud" service for an extended period is akin to living on borrowed time, flaky business models and the Next Big Thing being what they are.
--
»www.trackstreamer.com
Streaming police & fire public safety online scanners

travanx

join:2002-01-15
Altadena, CA
I have a Harmony Link remote and if Logitech's cloud ever goes down this device is useless. The nice thing when it does work is that harmony tech support is pretty fast in adding whatever features that may be missing into your account. For instance they setup my zone2 to work for my receiver. But of course the problem is if the cloud goes away I have a useless device.

I don't think the average user would care or even know if their router was connected into the cloud. Look at all of the routers out there installed by companies that still have WEP setup for wireless.

I also bet if people had any idea what QOS is and if it was a benefit to them, they might actually use it. But that's probably where people start to learn about other firmwares to try to fix their issues.