uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

[FL] Cable internet only? $$$

I'm thinking of keeping my cable internet because of the speed/cost compared to DSL in my area, and dropping the TV and going with DirecTV instead because it seems cheaper.

Right now I am paying roughly $55 for the internet and $100 for TV and it's a pretty basic package. It looks like comparable DSL in my area would be more money, but DirecTV in my area looks like it would be about the same channels if not more, for less money.

So my question is ... can I keep the cable internet and have satellite TV? Would this be cost effective and yield the best for the least? Would Cox charge me more for the internet if I dropped them for TV?

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
I have Dish for TV and Cox for internet. No concerns, just make sure your cable modem is on its own wiring 100% to avoid problems.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
reply to Sentinel
I switched from Cox to DIRECTV for TV last March. Currently I pay $52 for Cox HSI Preferred tier in the OKC market along with another $34+ change for telephone. Keep in mind the more you bundle the more you save so if you start dropping services you will see an increase in your Cox HSI charge.

I currently pay $62 a month for DIRECTV service with the Ultimate package. I also have some monthly discounts because I signed up through AAA, auto pay, etc...etc...

To answer your other question yes you can have DIRECTV and Cox HSI at the same time. The DIRECTV installer installed my system, ie. a HR24 HDDVR and a H25 HD receiver, as a whole home system meaning I can watch recorded TV shows an both the HR24 (living room) and the H25 (family room). The installer simply used my existing cabling to each TV from the central wiring cabinet. He did run a new home run coax from the DIRECTV antenna to the new DIRECTV splitter in the central wiring cabinet. The other coax connections are still active from the home run out to the Cox demark box (or whatever you call it).

The Cox HSI modem will be separate from the DIRECTV cabling. The two signals can not ride on the same coax.

I'll post pictures of my DIRECTV installation if I can find them...

If your a member of AAA you get discount signing up through them...

»www.aaa.com/directv

If your not PM me and I will give you my account number. That way we can both get $10 off the monthly bill for 10 months...

»www.directv.com/DTVAPP/referral/···gram.jsp

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
South Padre Island, TX
Click for full size
Antenna detail
Click for full size
Antenna detail
Click for full size
Outside cabling
Click for full size
Outside cabling
Here are photos of my DIRECTV installation for your information...

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
South Padre Island, TX
Click for full size
SWM powered splitter
Click for full size
Wireless CCK with Power Inserter
Click for full size
HR24 HD DVR
Click for full size
H25 HD receiver
More photos...

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
South Padre Island, TX
reply to Sentinel
Lastly here is a link to a nice document that describes how the DIRECTV system works with multiple receivers/DVRs and the SWiM (Single Wire Multi-Switch) to distribute the signals from the antenna.

»forums.directv.com/pe/Repository···20-%20In

Please note I had a DIRECTV employee installer versus a third-party contractor installer. He was on time, explained everything in the process to my satisfaction, answered any questions I had and did a supurb job IMHO...

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Sentinel
I do recommend the HR34 over the 24. 5 tuners is just down right awesome plus the space. I have the 34 and 24, my system can record up to 7 HD channels at one time.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
How's the rain fade issue with DTV?

-Rob

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to SoonerAl
Wow. Thanks a ton. Very much appreciated.
Looks like I may end up doing that because I think I am paying too much for too little.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to Rob_
said by Rob_:

How's the rain fade issue with DTV?

-Rob

About the same as the neighbor's kid jumping up and down on the trampoline causing the satellite TV to go out.

I pay $52 a month for a 5 tuner DVR, a 2 tuner DVR, and 2-HD receivers that can watch/record anything from the other DVR's. Plus tons of on-demand stuff, Pandora, Youtube, etc. It really is a nice setup. I'm very picky with my tech and DirecTV's equipment is hands down the best right now. Love it. I NEVER hear anyone yelling about can they skip some recording or someone complaining something got skipped. The HR34 holds tons of programming and we record a lot of stuff with 5 tuners to go around. Even with recording nothing but HD stuff, it still holds about a month of programming for us. The native option is very cool, not sure if Cox has this, but when you flip to ESPN, you actually watch it in 720p as it was meant. Not 1080i with half the frames ripped out. Flip to 1080i source and its 1080i. Some of the PPV's are 1080p but I don't buy/watch PPVs.

If I had to say one negative thing about their equipment, it would be if you hook up an E-Sata drive to the box it takes over and disables the internal disk instead of adding to it. But I don't really see the need as we already have too much programming to watch.

Cox would have to change a TON of stuff with their offering to get me to switch. They've already tried a few times.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
I dropped Cox TV almost 2 years ago after they raised the price again and DirecTV was running a special. All I can say is, I feel its been a great move. Still have Cox for HSI and telephone.

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
I love their ads they have about direct tv charging extra fees, so does Cox..

I might switch over, but rain fade IS an issue here, and it gets annoying when we try to watch something, poof.

-Rob

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
South Padre Island, TX
From an Oklahoma view rain fade also is not an issue. Occasionally during a heavy thunderstorm but that is an exception and not the rule. With that said I also have an OTA antenna up in the attic I can use if I ever get into a situation where I lose the sat signal for an extended period of time particularly during a severe weather event. Of course I had that same antenna while I had Cox TV for the very same reason and others.

With the HR24 HD DVR (2-tuners) we can record up to 100 hours of HD TV. Since its only my wife and I that is more than enough for our usage particularly since we can watch recorded shows or live TV on the family room HD TV if we had a scheduling conflict. It simply comes down to your family usage, etc...etc...

Bottom line is I am glad we switched to DIRECTV for TV and use Cox HSI for both internet and home landline telephone service. That combination works well for us.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to Rob_
said by Rob_:

I might switch over, but rain fade IS an issue here, and it gets annoying when we try to watch something, poof.

-Rob

Louisiana here so the same amount if not more storms. You're falling into the propaganda from the cable co's if you keep talking about and worried about rainfade. Cable is out way more than my satellite TV. Not to mention satellite TV works great during hurricane events where cable TV is out for extended periods of time. Not sure if you ever get hurricanes in your part of Florida

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
TV is not that important to me that I can't be without it for short periods of time. That's why I'm looking to save some money by getting the cheapest I can and still have some decent channels. I wish we could just pay for the channels we want but that ain't here yet

Satellite looks like I get more channels but none that really matter (to me) but it is hard to see what it really ends up costing in the end after the promo runs out.

Right now I pay roughly $65 for TV + $10 for DVR service +$10 for STB + $10 in taxes for a total bill of around $95 a month.

It is hard to tell what comparable DirecTV would cost total including taxes, on their web site.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
said by Sentinel:

TV is not that important to me that I can't be without it for short periods of time. That's why I'm looking to save some money by getting the cheapest I can and still have some decent channels. I wish we could just pay for the channels we want but that ain't here yet

Satellite looks like I get more channels but none that really matter (to me) but it is hard to see what it really ends up costing in the end after the promo runs out.

Right now I pay roughly $65 for TV + $10 for DVR service +$10 for STB + $10 in taxes for a total bill of around $95 a month.

It is hard to tell what comparable DirecTV would cost total including taxes, on their web site.

The taxes will depend on your state but there isn't much and no crazy other hidden fees like franchise fees.

Last time I was looking at the site it was very easy to see, as it broke it down by month or year or something like that. Maybe they changed it. Call them. I would also recommend the referral as previously mentioned. I'm sure any one of us in the thread here would give you the info

Yet is not the word on the only pay for what you want, it should be "I wish we would could pay for only the channels we want like in the past".

If you are looking for more info on satellitetv I recommend taking a stop over at Satelliteguys.us as they have lots of members and good information.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK
Satelliteguys is a great site for SAT TV. Also, you have referral offers here for DirecTV (D* in Satellite guys terms), if you want one for Dish (E*), let me know.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Sentinel
I've had maybe 3 or 4 times where I lost HD due to rain for short intervals (funny enough the TV went out right before the rain arrived), but the SD channels continued to work. I had one time where I lost everything, but that was only for a minute, because then the power went out for an hour

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
According to their website (Cox), I can upgrade to Whole Home DVR and get all the premiums for $133.00 a month. Even offering a 6 month special. $133.00+14.00 = $147.00

My current TV bill is about $116.65 I don't mind paying the $147.00 if that includes the main box and two boxes and all movie channels. Direct TV is (probably) the same price when you add the fees and crap.

Please note, the $116.65 includes NO movie channels, just two boxes and one DVR. I feel I'm being billed wrong.

-Rob

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel
I think most if not all cox areas charge the same HSI price if you have one or more services.

digiblur
Premium
Louisiana
reply to Rob_
said by Rob_:

-Rob

Here's a good example, we've had a monsoon of rain in the past 48+ hours of almost non stop rain. No issues with my TV or DVRd programming during this. It does happen occasionally though when it is pouring down so hard you can't see the neighbor's house but that only lasts a minute or two at most. If you have rain that hard for an extended period, you have more problems and won't have to worry about the TV.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to Rob_
said by Rob_:

-Rob

The whole cable/sat industry is in the sh*tter. Not entirely their fault - the content providers are equally at fault by pushing the per subscriber rates to absurd levels.

Across the board, all providers are slowly declining in viewership.

An interesting trend is that the younger subscribers face a stiff price barrier to entry (low income,) and are finding better value by getting their content from the internet (to include social media like youtube.) I suspect that this is why their subscriber counts are dropping, and will probably continue to do so until the content providers radically change their business model.