how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dtitzer

join:2006-11-08
Glen Burnie, MD

Dropping phone service from FiOS bundle

Is this a big deal? I'm not getting all that much from it, don't make too many calls, and do more on my mobile phone anyway. Wondering what to do with my home phone number, too. Don't really want to forward it to a mobile, so I'm willing to hear suggestions.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
its usually cheaper to keep the phone then not have it

dtitzer

Glen Burnie, MD
I wondered about that. More likely, the "double play" without phone is almost the same price as the "triple play" with it.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
can save 5-10 bucks, I dropped from triple to double play about 4 months ago, you can do it online, simple and easy

vshun1

@fanniemae.com
reply to nyrrule27
Definitely drop you will save like $15 in so called "taxes" and fees at least.

mekump

join:2007-09-11
Nottingham, MD
reply to guppy_fish
My 2 year contract just ended and I too am interested in dropping my landline. Don't really use it anymore. I don't see where you can go from a triple play bundle to a double play bundle online. If this can be done online can someone provide a link? Has anyone done this? If so, what were your savings?
tia,
Mike

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ
reply to vshun1
said by vshun1 :

Definitely drop you will save like $15 in so called "taxes" and fees at least.

Depends. All the new packages are Digital Voice now, and DV is not subject to all the taxes and fees that traditional copper landline had. With copper I was paying around $10/month in taxes/fees. With DV I think it's about $3/month.

rpjoe
Premium
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ
reply to dtitzer
i can't find the option to drop DV anywhere. every time i click on the double play selection it brings me to existing services. the only things i can change are channel tiers and internet speeds.
--
~ FiOS ~ * UltimateHD * QIP7232-2 * 35/35rev.G * iPhone 5 64GB W *

dtitzer

Glen Burnie, MD
My wife handled this over the phone, on the landline, and they disconnected the call when they put in the order to drop the landline. Doh!

Tip: Drop DV from your mobile phone.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
reply to dtitzer
I did mine online, just go to upgrade your package and deselect the phone option, now I had FDV, so maybe if someone is still on freedom essentials that might be a hold up?

rpjoe
Premium
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ
are you under contract? i cant deselect DV.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

1 edit
A side effect to not having a phone number is a Verizon billing nightmare. Sometimes (As in my case) it completely breaks all website features on your account and locks you out of having "full access" since their system is broke on sending people pins that do not have phone numbers.

Funny the old system that was in place from like 2008 and website they had us on worked fine without a phone number though, but they seem to refuse to fix this problem on the new my verizon website that they rolled out last year. I had a ticket open with them for almost 6 months that nobody could ever figure out, so I ended up just bundling a phone that I don't even plug in or use for around the same price just to get a pin number and fix the billing nightmare. (Yeah, I pay to fix their problem, a common Verizon issue, which IMO is why they have no motivation to fix these things when these bugs just seem to generate more revenue for Verizon)

Even the snail mail option didn't work because some unknown error was prohibiting the actual snail mail to print out to be mailed out on Verizon's side.

dtitzer

Glen Burnie, MD
reply to rpjoe
No, we didn't commit to a contract. We were considering shopping around

dtitzer

Glen Burnie, MD
reply to McBane
Hmmm. We're on paperless billing. Thanks for the heads-up just the same.

mekump

join:2007-09-11
Nottingham, MD
I just checked my bill and see that I am paying approximately $5 a month in taxes for DV. Not sure what kind of savings I can get by downgrading from triple play to double play. Might not be worth it, especially if I run into problems like McBane describes above.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I've been through all this and I had to battle for almost 6 months to get a straight answer on what effect dropping from triple to double non-contracted would be. In my case it would have RAISED my rate to change to a double. Instead the only thing I could do to save money was to drop down from Ultimate triple to Prime double which I hated to do but the bill had risen so quickly it was way out of my reach (fixed income). Most all of the TV I watched was on Ultimate so it really sucks they priced it so high.
--
#7 and climbing again... 3-0 in Big East. Scott Shafer named Syracuse's head football coach. He was our defensive coordinator for the last 4 years and I look forward to even better things next year!

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to dtitzer
McBane, I didn't have a problem here in Plano downgrading from Extreme TP to Prime DP a year or two ago. I'm able to access the site, etc. without any problems. I don't have any of their equipment other than a CC (they did give me a free version I router within the past year just from walking into the Collin Creek FiOS store and asking).

brownd

join:2007-01-05
Fanwood, NJ
reply to dtitzer
I just called to downgrade from triple play to double play but I am still in contract and I have to pay the ETF. I couldn't get a clear answer as to what happens after that. Since I broke the contract, am I then out of contract and pay month to month? I'd really like to keep the internet and drop the TV too. Not sure how to do this and not extend my contract. I'm OK to pay the ETF to get out of the crazy Fios prices for my landline and wait the 10 months I have left before I drop TV too.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
I just called again to ask about porting my number out from Verizon. I asked about the triple play to double play change and my contract and I got a completely different answer from yesterday. According to Verizon now, I can port my number out, not pay and ETF and go onto the double play package without extending my contract. This is what I would like to do but that's not what I was told yesterday. :-(

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
There is no ETF going from triple to double, never was. I did the change a few months ago, welcome to CSR roulette

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
Yes indeed, welome to roulette. Thanks.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
FYI, your contract WILL be a new 2 year one unless you going to the higher cost month to month, there is no such thing with Verizon as modifying a contract, its always a new one for any service changes ( you can change premium content that's it , like add HBO )

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
Thanks. That was not obvious to me during either call with Verizon.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
So, I ported my number over to Ooma and automatically I dropped to the double play package and my contract has not been extended. Seems fair to me.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
reply to dtitzer
Now, since my triple to double downgrade went so well with no contract extension, how about removing the TV portion now? What will happen? I really want to get onto the $29.99 Directv package, maybe not so good as Fios but for the price, very difficult to beat.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
You will be charged EFT of 20 dollars for every month left on your contract

On DTV, 29.99 requires two year contract, and the rates for months 13-24 make up for the discounts. I had DTV, the real price with DVR and basic package ends up being close to 80 month.

DTV its not lower cost than FIOS for 24 months when you also factor in your internet costs will almost be the same cost as with the TV package, maybe 20 less on internet only.

brownd

Fanwood, NJ
reply to brownd
And today it all went downhill. Seemingly, after someone requests to stop a service (phone in my case), Verizon stop all services 2 weeks later. In the meantime they are supposed to contact me and make sure that's what I want. A long conversation later, TV and internet are restored but I am still having problems getting to some web pages and am getting redirected to the "service suspended" page.