how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hyelton

join:2008-02-29
Rutherfordton, NC

Trace Root Odd IP

Okay so what is with this when doing a Trace root...

1. 192.168.1.1 - Okay Thats my Router
2. 10.6.112.1 VERY low ping 5ms
3.192.168.50.5 - Local IP??? 9ms ping. This is NOT part of my network I even get this when directly connected to the modem.
4. Then it goes out.

claydean

join:2003-04-22
Ankeny, IA

That would be a device within your ISP's internal network

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC

Oh okay, I just thought it was odd that it would be like that.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
reply to hyelton

As the world runs out of real public IPv4 addresses, more and more of your ISP's addresses are going to be private IPv4 addresses until they (and you) get with IPv6
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC

But I have a regular IP. My regular IP then goes to that private IP

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

said by hyelton:

But I have a regular IP. My regular IP then goes to that private IP

Your ISP is using Private IPs for more and more of their equipment, as they run out of public IPs their commercial customers need.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_ne···loyments
--

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC

I`m pretty sure they dont have any commercial Customers lol. I`m the ONLY one here to get there NEW 24 meg connection, I was there beta test, There is only 5,000 ish people that live in my county and its a small cable company Northland Cable.

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

Greenwood, MS
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

This hints they do have commercial customers

»www.yournorthland.com/business/

And that those customer get static IP Addresses.

--

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to hyelton

said by hyelton:

I`m pretty sure they dont have any commercial Customers lol. I`m the ONLY one here to get there NEW 24 meg connection, I was there beta test, There is only 5,000 ish people that live in my county and its a small cable company Northland Cable.

they actualy have closer to 20k internet customers and serve several countys based on some googling

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to hyelton

Those IPs are for a device that's carrying your traffic, not the link itself. For example, the 10.6.112.1 IP is the bundle IP address of the CMTS (cable modem termination system), not the WAN port on the CMTS.
Your public IP address is being carried (bridged/tunneled/whatever you want to call it) by the cable modem to the CMTS, and then the CMTS hands it off to another router for transport to the public internet.
This is different from NAT, in that your public IP is never translated, it's just encapsulated for a section of transport across the network.

hyelton

Rutherfordton, NC
reply to zed260

Well they ONLY in Rutherford County/Lake Lure in Entire North Carolina..., Which is a very SMALL population, Yes i know they cover other states but this is the ONLY place they cover here in NC.