nu2this
NOT
Premium
join:2005-04-07
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Re: wget command in terminal to download files via ssh?

I have two computers on my desk here at office.

I went to what's my ip address and got my public ip.
opened CyberDuck on other computer
chose SFTP ssh file transfer protocol
server (public ip address) port 22
username (of computer)
password (of computer)

not able to connect
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

No, that's the public IP of your WORK connection. If you're connecting to home, you need to get the public IP of your home connection.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
reply to nu2this

i have tried ftp-ssl , ftp , ssh
i get network timed out and connection refused

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by nu2this:

i have tried ftp-ssl , ftp , ssh
i get network timed out and connection refused

Are you at work or at home when trying to ssh? Did you get the IP of your home connection?

home(HOME_external_ip)-----[internet]-----(WORK_external_ip)work

If you're AT work on "work computer", then you need to find out "HOME_external_ip" and then:

ssh usernameonhomecomputer@HOME_external_ip

It should work if you have properly forwarded port 22 on the home connection's router.
--

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

i do not have the public IP of home connection. I am trying to do this using two different office computers (using public IP of one of these computers here in the office)
--
Why are you so surprised to see sinners in church? Are you shocked to see sick people in a hospital too?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by nu2this:

i do not have the public IP of home connection. I am trying to do this using two different office computers (using public IP of one of these computers here in the office)

That will not work. It takes special NAT rules to be able to access an external IP address from behind NAT. Simply, it's not going to work.

You will need to get he public IP of the home machine and port forward 22 there in order to ssh from work to home. If you want to ssh from home to work, then you need to port forward 22 there as well and need to know the external IP for whichever place you're connecting TO.

A dynamic dns service liked dyndns.org can help with this so you can configure your routers to update your dynamic hostname when they change IPs, so that you can connect via a host name instead of having to look up the IP address if it changes when DHCP leases are renewed (rare).
--

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL

ok... thanks... i'll take this info that I have and try it later when I get home.

much appreciated!

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

said by nu2this:

That will not work. It takes special NAT rules to be able to access an external IP address from behind NAT. Simply, it's not going to work.

That's not exactly true. Many consumer or entry-level business grade routers support NAT loopback by default. In my experience, the chances of it working are greater than the chances of it not working. That being said, unless you know your router supports it or has an option to specifically turn it on, you'll never know if your port forwarding is failing or the router is blocking it.

OP: If you have an iPhone, you can download Prompt, iSSH, or a free SSH client (if there are any) and try using your 3G connection. Or just wait until you get home
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

My knowledge of SOHO routers is dated. I know that in the past it was not very likely to work on most. If that's changed, I stand corrected.
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nu2this

#1 Check what the networking info is on your computer.

As how to do that on a Mac, see

»osxdaily.com/2010/08/08/lan-ip-address-mac/

#2 Going to the Default Gateway (called router on the Mac) should take you to the Cisco Linksys e2500.

#3 If not, report back that fact and then you will be told what to do next.

#4 In the router go to Status -> Router Status

#5 In there, one of the IP Address should be the same IP Address that you see at this site at Tools -> Your IP address, IP whois

#6 If not, report back that fact and then you will be told what to do next.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

Click for full size

nu2this
NOT
Premium
Hallandale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aefstoggaflm

see pic posted. I believe that this is the page that I need to be at (if i understand you correctly) But I am not sure what to do (if I am in the right place) How would i put in my public IP Address on this page?

Thanks!
--

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to nu2this

Continued back at »Cisco Linksys e2500 port forwarding per my mistake / your request...
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.