how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to elray

Re: Now let's see how the hypocrites explain this...

Really? So they are only trying to stop congestion between them and companies like level 3 that has much more bandwidth then they do? I assume they are doing this at Level 3's request right? So when I am using net traffic that never leaves AT&T's network, that doesnt count too?

said by elray:

When Netflix, et al, co-market their services with local caching at AT&T, Verizon, and the CableCos, they too, can enjoy cap-free assured delivery.

We are going with the traversing public internet argument again huh? I think really what you are saying by your very dense statement here is that it is OK to violate net neutrality and to only deliver traffic for "free" that you have extorted money from the company for.

How about we flip this and say when AT&T, Verizon and the CableCos decide to start paying Netflix to put caching services on their networks to assist them in reducing their transit cost (if they have any) and to provide a superior service to their ISP consumers?

What consumers of AT&T, Verizon and the CableCos want falls on them to provide as the ISP. It does not fall on the object of those consumers desire to make sure the ISP will provide them the intertube. That is not the internet, which those ISP's are a part of and are the service they are selling. If they want to break off and create their own portal with their own walled garden so be it. But be sure they speak with AOL before doing so to see how that will go.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
What Netflix ought to do is drop AT&T ESPN3 style. Have AT&T, no Netflix for you and AT&T customer will cancel right and left. Google should do the same. Facebook should do the same. No content provider should tolerate AT&T extortion attempts when it is AT&T's customers who have already paid for and are requesting the content be delivered.

Without content, AT&T subscribers don't need AT&T's service.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

Really? So they are only trying to stop congestion between them and companies like level 3 that has much more bandwidth then they do? I assume they are doing this at Level 3's request right? So when I am using net traffic that never leaves AT&T's network, that doesnt count too?

said by elray:

When Netflix, et al, co-market their services with local caching at AT&T, Verizon, and the CableCos, they too, can enjoy cap-free assured delivery.

We are going with the traversing public internet argument again huh? I think really what you are saying by your very dense statement here is that it is OK to violate net neutrality and to only deliver traffic for "free" that you have extorted money from the company for.

Network neutrality applies to public internet traffic only.
Period.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
The entire internet is public, stop trying to make this more confusing to fit your desire to create pay tolls.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Meanwhile it is all completely irrelevant since AT&T's subscribers ALREADY PAY FOR DELIVERY OF THE CONTENT. The cost of delivery of an additional GB of content is virtually ZERO.

The ONLY reason they cap and charge overages is to defend their video revenues. It isn't a coincidence that AT&T wasn't interested in capping until they became a video services provider.

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net

1 edit
said by skeechan:

The ONLY reason they cap and charge overages is to defend their video revenues. It isn't a coincidence that AT&T wasn't interested in capping until they became a video services provider.

I will repeat, there are no bandwidth caps or overage fees being applied to U-verse internet.

Skippy25

Hazelwood, MO
reply to skeechan
Not sure why I cant respond to you directly Fan, but yes currently they do not meter because they can't get their crap straight to do it correctly and accurately.

However, once they figure that out they will enforce the caps that they have inserted into their TOS.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Click for full size
Clock is ticking fanboys
AT&T fanboys can deny it until they're blue in the face. If they aren't getting it now, it is only a matter of time. They are already hitting DSL users with the overages. AT&T states in their FAQ that the users not getting slammed now are only off the hook because they haven't figured out how to meter them yet....YET. They'll get the meter fixed and AT&T U-Verse subs will have their fat overage bills soon enough.

The fact is the caps and overage penalties are AT&T policy.