uniqs

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Montreal Q?

While I was in the Southshore,I noticed that every driveway had these 2 poles with plow phone numbers on them.

My sister tells me that it's because they need them to see the width of the driveway when plowing...........my Q is does everyone use these companies in Montreal and why don't they shovel their own driveways?

Probably the most idiotic thing I've ever seen.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Plough companies use them in commercial lots here, they mark the curbs with them. They are no more than rods.

Montreal gets a lot of snow, makes sense lots of people would use a service.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
I havent seen them here yet this year
Last year some were around, they are dual purpose : marker and free advertising disguised as markers
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

Then you should get out more.

I see those here and there around here. I guess some people can't be bothered and prefer to pay to have it done. Lots of reasons why one may take that option, really.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by MichelR:

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Then you should get out more.

I see those here and there around here. I guess some people can't be bothered and prefer to pay to have it done. Lots of reasons why one may take that option, really.

Like not being healthy enough or young enough to shovel their own driveway. Easier to hire someone to do it for you.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Because it's cheap, we get a lot of snow and it's not worth our time to wake up 2 hours before work to shovel the snow every morning.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Most people in suburbia use these services. Montreal gets on average 86 inches of snow a year. Assume a small driveway at 10x20 feet (most are several times larger). That's 1,433 cubic feet of snow per year, or about 4 tons. In practice, a driveway is going to be a lot larger (you can normally fit at least two cars into a single-width driveway, for example). And in practice, you're going to get a lot more snow than that due to drift from the surrounding lawn, ploughs, etc.

On top of that, there's the convenience factor. When you're getting home from work in the evening, do you want to go inside and eat dinner, or do you want to spend an hour shovelling your driveway so that you can park your car?

Bender2000
Bite My Shiny Metal Ass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-06
J7W 8E4

Bender2000 to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
and there's a whole other subset that use "Tempos" (named after the brandname of snow shelter).
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
in my neck of the woods the plow companies use large farm style tractors with a forward facing snow blower on the back, they for the meagre sum of 400$ a season will get rid of the packed snowbank at the end of your driveway from the previous nights snow before you go to work and then come back during the day to do the rest of your driveway. My neighbor in the last storm had them plow his driveway out 5 times in 24 hours, pretty good deal i think. that being said, i have my own snowblower and do my own driveway.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

1 recommendation

Kardinal to ZZZZZZZ

Mod

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

my Q is does everyone use these companies in Montreal and why don't they shovel their own driveways?

No, having a plowing company for your driveway isn't the idiotic part of the post. As mentioned, there are health and age reasons, among others, for people to have a company to come and do their driveway. My parents are in their late 70s and consider the ~$400 they spend each winter on snowclearing to be a convenience and a good way to minimize health risks of shoveling a 3 car driveway and the mound at the end (they live on a street wide enough for parking on both sides and it's always cleared well as it's a fairly main street through the area).

How many 15+ cm snowfalls do you shovel each winter in Kelowna?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

to ZZZZZZZ
Just call Mr Plow

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Ih7lQ3dc

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
5 so far this year.

But I do realize there are seniors that need it .........my parents for one.

It just seemed strange to me that almost everyone had them,along with those tempos,everywhere too..............things you never see out here.

Everytime I go back,there is something different ,that didn't seem to affect us when growing up there.

My memories of the old Mtl are getting corrupted.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by ZZZZZZZ:

It just seemed strange to me that almost everyone had them,along with those tempos,everywhere too..............things you never see out here.

Don't get me started on the temporary garages.....what an eyesore. I've never figured out why someone would fill their garage with junk, park a vehicle worth $20k+ outside and then spend money on a temporary garage for it there. They aren't unique to Montreal, but far, far common on the Quebec side of the river than the Ontario side.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

I asked my relatives the same Q..........their garages are full of crap and they park outside in -15 temp,weird people. lol

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
Heh, we have those temporary winter car shelters here in Fort Erie. Never seen them used anywhere else until I moved here, haha.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Tempos are illegal in my home town of Pointe-Claire because of the eyesore factor.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I grew up in Laval and everyone either had snow removal service or a Tempo as our driveways were too big to shovel.
sibisties
join:2012-06-04
Canada

sibisties to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

I asked my relatives the same Q..........their garages are full of crap and they park outside in -15 temp,weird people. lol

Our garage is empty here but there's room only for one car. On the other hand the Tempo covers our 4 cars parked in the driveway.

BTW with a Tempo you never have to scrape frosted windows in the morning.

jhfkjh677
@184.151.114.x

jhfkjh677 to ZZZZZZZ

Anon

to ZZZZZZZ
Using a heated garage in winter for a car is the wrost thing you can do! Rust happens when temperature is hot enough to make the snow melt. If you let the car heat up every day, I bet you your car will be covered in rust on the 4 fenders in 3 years max.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

said by jhfkjh677 :

Using a heated garage in winter for a car is the wrost thing you can do! Rust happens when temperature is hot enough to make the snow melt. If you let the car heat up every day, I bet you your car will be covered in rust on the 4 fenders in 3 years max.

ill agree on that, just like with storing a car, in winter its fine to leave a stored car outside,but my winter beater being parked outside in summer rots from the humidity

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
N of 49th

Kardinal to ZZZZZZZ

Mod

to ZZZZZZZ
I'll disagree. My car is 10+ years old, lives in a heated garage, and has only rust along the inside edge of the rear wheel wells where the body panel ends (ie/ on the inside of the well, not the body edge). Rustproofing has come a long way, and I haven't had a rust problem yet. I've also not had the weather wear-and-tear on the car being outside all year (cold/moisture/sunlight fading/etc).

That said, I keep my car clean so it's not sitting covered in slush and salt because I believe in taking care of it.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

The problem with heated garages that lead to rust occurs when the garage owner/operator doesn't heat the garage enough.
I remember reading that the worst way to heat a garage is to have temps of 1-10 degrees, as the vehicle will be constantly wet.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

The humidity and salt on the roads in Mtl. probably has more to do with vehicles rusting than them being in a garage.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

Absolutely, salt & moisture is the enemy. Keep your garage cold enough so that the salt cannot activate the snow/ice resting on your car, or warm enough so that your car dries out.