RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

2 edits

How do find the IP address of my Asus RT-N66U Router?

Hello:

Today I connected a new RT-N66U wireless router to my Sagemcom F@st 2864 box.
As I don't really know what I am doing, I 'fiddled' around a bit but got it working, ie, I can connect wirelessy to the Asus.
*BUT* now when I goto 192.168.1.1 in the browser, I get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.1"
So, I have the following questions:
1) How do I find at which IP address my Asus is living?
2) If I press the 'reset' button on the Sagemcom, will I lose all my Internet & TV settings & passwords?

(I'm thinking about resetting the Sagemcom because I can't remember which settings I fiddled with other than disabling the wireless.)

Edit: I think that my Sagemcom says that the Asus is 192.168.2.11 but when I enter that into a browser I still get the "Oop's" message.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

maximeqc

join:2003-03-06
Quebec, QC

Open a command prompt and type this : ipconfig

The gateway IP address should be your Asus router if it's the one giving out DHCP leases.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
reply to RobThompson

are you going from one of the 4 Yellow LAN ports of the Sagemcom to the WAN port of the asus?

the ip is 192.168.1.1, I have the same router.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
reply to RobThompson

My only question is after you've figured out and cured this issue flash that router with Tomato Toastman or Shibby builds.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to RobThompson

Thanks people!

Tomorrow I will start over.

First I will 'reset' the RT-N66U and then start over again.

I don't think that I'll 'reset' the Sagemcom because I am afraid of losing passwords etc originally set up by the Bell guy.

I think is was Benjamin Franklin who once said: "If you want to have a happy life, don't screw up the Internet & the Fibe TV for your wife!" Or, maybe it was Jimmy Hoffa...
--
Rob.

yleclerc

join:2009-03-15
Montreal, QC

Your Asus RT-N66U router would prably work well with the default settings. You would access the router via the 192.168.1.1 address, or the default gateway address shown with CMD --> IPCONFIG

Also, you can then access the Bell unit via 192.168.2.1.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to RobThompson

Well, I did the 'reset' and re-installed it - it is working just fine.

Not knowing 'how to quit when you're ahead', I'm going to complicate my life by trying to throw a Tomato at it, I hope it sticks!

Thanks again for your help.

Rob.
--
Rob.

RMerlin

join:2009-10-09
Montreal, QC
reply to neuromancer1

said by neuromancer1:

My only question is after you've figured out and cured this issue flash that router with Tomato Toastman or Shibby builds.

Or Asuswrt-Merlin

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to RobThompson

said by RobThompson:

Well, I did the 'reset' and re-installed it - it is working just fine.

Not knowing 'how to quit when you're ahead', I'm going to complicate my life by trying to throw a Tomato at it, I hope it sticks!

Thanks again for your help.

Rob.

Tomato isn't that complicated the flashing process on Asus routers is next to impossible to screw up. You cannot really brick them. I always followed Teddy's flashing guide and have no problems. The guide works for Toastman and Shibby's builds for me.

»tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-rt-n16