how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

moca_lost

@verizon.net

moca: from ethernet to coax

Hi,

I want to add one more tv in my house but the room does not have any coax. This room does have ethernet though. Can I use a moca bridge to go from ethernet to coax to stb. All posts I see go from coax to ethernet and I want to do opposite.

Current setup, ONT to gigabit router, to 16 port gigabit switch wired all over the house. Verizion router connect to router(lan of primary router to wan of verizon router). Then coax from ont spit one end to wiring in the house the other to the verizon router. With this I get gigabit lan, my own wireless router, and on demand works through the verizon router. Now we built an extra room and overlooked coax but did bring in ethernet. Is it possible to use this moca bridge to go from lan to coax to stb. I want ondemand and tv working in this room. Is my only option to figure out a way to run some coax in there?

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
At some point a wireless option will arise. Till then, you need coax.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to moca_lost
said by moca_lost :

Is it possible to use this moca bridge to go from lan to coax to stb.

No. MOCA is a narrow (50Mhz) frequency band. It can't carry the full TV RF spectrum (860 Mhz).
said by moca_lost :

Is my only option to figure out a way to run some coax in there?

There is such a thing as baluns that allow sending an RF signal over cat5 wiring. These are designed to work with a single channel rather than the whole TV spectrum.
»www.active-vision.com/Video-Balu···odIUIApg
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

marathonmike
Beer. You can only rent it

join:2001-12-12
Princeton, NJ
reply to moca_lost
Unless you want to use a large screen, use a slingbox and watch from any PC or laptop anywhere in the world.
--
Go desiel

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to moca_lost
Certain blu-ray players and smart TVs allow you to download a Verizon app that allow you to stream certain live channels and On Demand content over IP. This would allow you to use ethernet instead of coax.