share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to 34764170

Re: OVH pricing at Montreal datacenter is... insane?

What a funny guy? Rogers and Videotron combined are roughly 2 million broadband subs between them, and Canada has roughly 10 million in total. Those two ISPs alone are 20% of all broadband subs, not a bad start for direct peering... If they can get peering with Bell, that would take them up to 50% right there.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

The only other large consumer provider I left out was Bell that had an east coast footprint which is where OVH is located (i suppose Cogeco is decent too).

Anyways, I don't even see the point to this, they also have transit in NYC/NJ and Chicago which is again where all of eastern Canada goes into.

I'm sure they'll increasing their private and public peering over time in Canada, but they can't just go and peer with Tier 1s that would rather sell them bandwidth.

As mentioned above too with TSI, private peering doesn't mean fast performance (altho this seems to be because of TSI not really caring).

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

What a funny guy? Rogers and Videotron combined are roughly 2 million broadband subs between them, and Canada has roughly 10 million in total. Those two ISPs alone are 20% of all broadband subs, not a bad start for direct peering... If they can get peering with Bell, that would take them up to 50% right there.

I don't consider that a "pretty good chunk" and that still leaves out Bell, Telus, Allstream, Shaw and a few others. It's peering with Rogers, transit from Videotron.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to jmck

said by jmck:

The only other large consumer provider

Anyways, I don't even see the point to this

I'm sure they'll increasing their private and public peering over time in Canada, but they can't just go and peer with Tier 1s that would rather sell them bandwidth.

There is more to the Internet than just DSL / cable connections.

You've made that pretty clear.

Who said anything about peering? They could have made better choices for their Canadian transit options or purchased additional transit from other providers to fill in the gaps.

rednekcowboy

join:2012-03-21
reply to 34764170

Aren't Rogers and Videotron owned by the same conglamorate/are sister companies? I could have sworn I read that somewhere but can't find it now...

MaynardKrebs
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

said by rednekcowboy:

Aren't Rogers and Videotron owned by the same conglamorate/are sister companies? I could have sworn I read that somewhere but can't find it now...

No, they aren't.

But they were roommates at the "School of Customer Gouging".

funny

join:2010-12-22
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

by subs you mean users subscribers WRONG in 2006 sandvine came up with 24 million accounts and 5.4 million p2p users at one time and 4 months later it jumped to 9.8 million see a trend....
anyhow cant tell on validity BUT last september CBC ran some internet article saying we had 21 million net users. lost 3 million since caps were introduced....
thats a lot of revenue they lost for being silly
take bell
both me and my dad have dropped them ( ONLY what tsi gives them is what they get now )
so you get a tv /phone loss on my dads side and phone and net loss to whatever tsi gives them.

no wonder they THINK THEY NEED caps now....they screwed themsleves for customers and its a need fer greed issue.