Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 recommendation

reply to pflog

Re: [POLL] Would you opt out of powerboost if you could?

I just cannot understand why you would not want to use extra bandwidth from excess capacity on the network.
Power boost makes sense for everyone.
Just those that want to use qos on a home router will not be able to use the extra capacity until they can find a router that can do dynamic qos, its not a big deal.

I dont get your complaint.
It sound like you should be complaining about the routers not power boost.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Tr0utp0nD

join:2000-12-20
Clarks Summit, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pflog

Also as a background, I've been seeing 24/4 with shaped rate of 16/2 on my connection for well over a year now.

I started checking when I started livestreaming and to be honest the difference is that with 2mbps sustained upload you can't really do 720p/1080p streaming at a decent quality where as if you have 4mbps real upload you can do it no problem ( needs 2-3mbps upload)

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to r81984

I am sure gamers who want no jitter and low pings would disagree. If uncapped powerboost is constantly pushing channels to their capacity, it would translate into jitter.

I don't really get any benefit other than saving a few seconds on a large download. uploads are somewhat nice for sending large files, but I wouldn't miss it.
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to pflog

A quick google search says openwrt can do qos with burstable connections.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by r81984:

A quick google search says openwrt can do qos with burstable connections.

And I'm sure it's possible in Linux and FreeBSD as well for those using those as routers, but again the shaping will not be as good for ingress as the HFC network doing so.

Anyway, I didn't really want to start a PB vs. no-PB argument in this thread, I'm more interested in how many people would part with PB.
--

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to pflog

Ah, good point. I forgot about that small detail .
--
KI6RIT

ThaPrince

join:2002-10-13
Santa Rosa, CA

I still get decent powerboost on my 27/7 connection:

DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 38.102.0.85.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 15402 Kbps.
Downstream: 90828 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 9521-9810 KB;
Shaping rate: 7504 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 14954-15810 KB;
Shaping rate: 28746 Kbps.

For more information, visit: http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe

I do have a non rental SB6121 though.

Jeremy W

join:2010-01-21
reply to pflog

My PowerBoost has been capped as long as I've been a Comcast customer, which is since 2009. Wasn't aware that any areas had it uncapped for residential subscribers.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
reply to pflog

No. I love PB for whatever it is and however long it lasts. I was doing some downloads the other day and not only did I hit my cap of 27.5 continually, I kept boosting to 30 or more routinely and it helped finish my downloads all the quicker.

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI

1 recommendation

reply to pflog

I just wish Comcast would stop using it to describe the speed tiers. Here BLAST is 25/4 sustained, but on the website it says 30/5 with powerboost..

It would be ok if they said 25/4 with a powerboost up to 30/5.
Very deceiving.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1

Deceiving or not, it's funny because that's exactly what I have been getting lately, 30/5, even gotten up to 36/5.5 during a test.

But yeah, you're right. They should clarify their words

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to pflog

Powerboost? What is that? The paltry 8Mb down we have been constrained to and no upload PB it really isn't worth it.

In fact, I have set QOS in my Sophos UTM firewall to limit my down to my plan speeds. I am tired of dealing with these retards on the issue. Unfortunately, they are the only ones which are willing to provide me real high speed service.

FiOS is within 500 feet of my house, but they are done with their build outs so that will never be an option.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to pflog

said by pflog:

said by r81984:

I cannot see how power boost messes up with your qos.
Your qos should be preventing you from using power boost.

That's what I mean - when you shape, you have to shape to the sustained speeds, thus eliminating PB anyway. I believe with FreeBSD's ipfw+dummynet you could, in theory, have it shape to rate A for x seconds, then rate B thereafter somehow.

I do that on linux with tc. It seems to work OK.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Tr0utp0nD

said by Tr0utp0nD:

Also as some feedback, I wish comcast would be more open and honest about the powerboost feature and its limitations.

Me for example, I'm on the standard performance. I believe this is advertised as 25/5 (or soon to be 25/5)

If i run a speedtest, they generally comeback as 24/4 (Also what shaperprobe says)

However using a utility such as shaperprobe I can see that the provisioned speed is 16/2.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 4258 Kbps.
Downstream: 25485 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 2.5 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Burst size: 4918-4996 KB;
Shaping rate: 2128 Kbps.

Downstream: Burst size: 9463-9986 KB;
Shaping rate: 15978 Kbps.

However nowhere on Comcast site can you find this information out. Being honest about the speed of the connection is my gripe. Is my teir 25/5? is it 16/2 but I get 25/4 with powerboost? Is it going to be 25/5 and my non powerbost will be 18/3.5? Etc

they tell you the exact non PB speeds, for business class. I have never seen them advertise PB speeds as actual speed of the tiers. If you are getting 16/2, then that is your actual speed, and if that speed isn't right for your service you are mis-provisioned.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to pflog

Interesting. It was nearly 50/50 last night, but still a pretty hefty % of people would be willing to ditch powerboost, although it seems it's split between those who would get rid of it regardless of an impact to cost.
--

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by pflog:

Interesting. It was nearly 50/50 last night, but still a pretty hefty % of people would be willing to ditch powerboost, although it seems it's split between those who would get rid of it regardless of an impact to cost.

I am one of those who voted for an option to totally eliminate PowerBoost, although I have come to terms with it through locally applied simple priority based QoS for my Vonage ATA. I had previously used more aggressive rate limiting, but I found that just allowing Comcast's PowerBoost to do its thing and simply giving my VoIP ATA top priority fixed the main problem that PowerBoost had formerly caused me.

I am somewhat surprised that the percentage of those who favor keeping PowerBoost is not higher. For those users who primarily surf the web and check email (probably the vast majority of users...but not necessarily the case in this forum), PowerBoost does provide for visibly quicker loading of web pages and email.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

Agreed that for web browsing/email it comes in handy, with uncapped PB.

However, I question whether 27 boosting to 33-34 really makes much of a difference. Wide open PB, yes. But another 25% doesn't really seem like it'd make a huge difference. When you're talking 27 boosting to 70 (150%+ boosting), yeah it's definitely noticeable.
--

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to pflog

I liked it better when it was un-capped and they just barely had deployed docsis 3.0. I saw powerboost bursts well over 100mbit before, heh.

powerboost

@comcast.net
reply to PeteC2

said by PeteC2:

I suspect that as pb becomes less relevant, and therefore not even a minor talking point for Comcast, it will eventually disappear.

Winner winner, chicken dinner! Look at your latest or last bill. There's a message that tells you that the name of your internet is changing. It's no longer Performance Internet with PowerBoost or Blast with Powerboost. The "with PowerBoost" verbiage is leaving ALL marketing. Working for Comcast, I've already been questioned by A LOT of people who think that that means they're losing something. Explaining that nothing's changing except the name is fun.

Actual wording from my bill:
"Effective 12/17/12, your Internet service will be renamed. It will
be changed from Blast! Internet Svc, Includes PowerBoost to
Blast! Internet Svc. This change will not otherwise affect the
services you are currently receiving"

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

So reading between the lines, you're saying the actual message is more like:

"Effective 12/17/12, your Internet service will be renamed. It will
be changed from Blast! Internet Svc, Includes PowerBoost to
Blast! Internet Svc. This change will not otherwise affect the
services you are currently receiving (YET)

It's probably nothing, but good catch.

Supposing they do drop PB, I wonder if they will in turn bump up the sustained speeds or change prices? Certainly people paying X for service w/PB (who like it) will probably not be happy paying X for the same service without PB. Although as of now, given this very small sample of their customer base, nearly half wouldn't care.

I suspect the average Comcast user doesn't even know what PB is, but may notice the difference in web page loading or email.
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by pflog:

I suspect the average Comcast user doesn't even know what PB is, but may notice the difference in web page loading or email.

And that may be part of the reason that Comcast seems to be slowly lessening the effect of PowerBoost in only some areas and/or for some users. They want to see what kind of backlash is generated on a small scale before committing suicide with a mass scale change.

In my case, I had been seeing a greatly reduced downstream PowerBoost (an extra ~6-8 mbps instead of the old extra ~40-50 mbps) even before the November Business Class speed tier changes. I still am getting a large amount of upstream PowerBoost (but still noticeably less). I am on the 16/3 business class speed tier, and the Comcast speed test image below is now fairly typical for my connection.

OTOH, the Comcast speed test image below used to be a typical test result for my old 12/2 speed tier.

--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by NetFixer:

And that may be part of the reason that Comcast seems to be slowly lessening the effect of PowerBoost in only some areas and/or for some users. They want to see what kind of backlash is generated on a small scale before committing suicide with a mass scale change.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. I guess time will tell. I guess D3 has given them the headroom to provide faster tiers and not guise things with PB. Although the extra D3 headroom would also allow for crazy PB, but probably more load on the network.
--

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by pflog:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. I guess time will tell. I guess D3 has given them the headroom to provide faster tiers and not guise things with PB. Although the extra D3 headroom would also allow for crazy PB, but probably more load on the network.

And it would produce more complaining (and service calls) when users who usually saw crazy PB sometimes did not see it. It is kind of like the way that dogs see the world; there is no sometimes, there is only never and always (if you have ever owned or lived with a dog, you will know what I mean).
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by NetFixer:

said by pflog:

And it would produce more complaining (and service calls) when users who usually saw crazy PB sometimes did not see it. It is kind of like the way that dogs see the world; there is no sometimes, there is only never and always (if you have ever owned or lived with a dog, you will know what I mean).

That's a terrific analogy. Yes, that's quite true. We've seen it on these forums quite a bit in fact. "I normally get boosts to 80Mbps but lately only 45 Mbps, wth???"

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I really like consistency and predictability. I think it's a hang up from when I had FiOS on the east coast.
--

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

said by pflog:

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I really like consistency and predictability. I think it's a hang up from when I had FiOS on the east coast.

Then you just need to come back to the "RIGHT" coast.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by ropeguru:

said by pflog:

Then you just need to come back to the "RIGHT" coast.

As soon as my company opens a site there (and no, Hudson is too damn cold so I'm not going there), I'm there Although I'm not sure my wife would be with me hahahha.
--

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to pflog

Streaming videos require a certain amount of buffer before it starts. So PB helps in that regard.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by AlphaOne:

Streaming videos require a certain amount of buffer before it starts. So PB helps in that regard.

True uncapped PB could help in cases where you cant stream at the required data rate with your sustained speeds, but when you're only getting 25% boost it doesn't help nearly as much.
--

powerboost

@comcast.net
reply to NetFixer

said by NetFixer:

Precisely. There are a lot of times where a Performance(15/2) tier person calls to complain that they have "slow" speeds. Slow speeds of 18/3. Because "I normally get around 24/4." That can be a difficult one.