dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
join:2000-12-05

How to save flash video from website?

Does anyone know how to save the video off this website? I tried a couple of Firefox extensions and none of them worked.

»www.askmen.com/top_10/en ··· air.html

totamak
And they call me nuts?
join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

totamak

Bar none, Video Download Helper extension for Firefox. It's frequently updated and covers more sites than any other. I've tested it just now and VDH does seem compatible.
join:2000-12-05

Were you able to download it with VDH and play it back? Unfortunately, I was unable to. I think I'll have to screen capture it.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to 855

to 855
Chrome has an extension. Works on most websites. Wont work on things like Youtube or Hulu stuff like that. It works on the link in question.

totamak
And they call me nuts?
join:2000-10-24
Los Angeles, CA

totamak to 855

to 855
Okay found out what the issue is. It's not one singular video file that's stream, but a contiguous block of individual video files that are strung together. The extensions of *.f4f is the tip-off, it's a relatively new mutant flash container. The ten seconds or so that I played the flash video, VDH was showing about five or six individual files I could snag and all ending with *.f4f. This is a new container I haven't encountered before, but the technique itself (breaking a single video file into a bunch of tiny files which are sequentially sent) I have encountered before. VDH can still snag the individual files, but they will be identically named and the rate they loaded up, it will be frustrating to grab them serially. Plus there is the issue of having to stitching the files together so there is a playable single file - I believe it's just the F4V (Flash MPEG-4 video container) container that is sliced up in equal sized pieces. It's doable, but a lot of work.

As it stands, you will have to use something like FRAPS or CamStudio and grab it that way.
Expand your moderator at work