how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BoteMan

join:2002-11-11
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Removing pipe dope/dum dum from trousers

I have not one, but two, pair of cargo pants both of which have a good size dab of industrial strength pink pipe dope or "dum dum" in the worst possible place: the seat.* I don't want this stuff to rub onto my car seat and I really like these pants and would love to find a way to remove this stubborn stuff without destroying the fabric.

I read about acetone in the "it's on my hands" thread, but not sure whether that will harm the fabric. They are 100% thick cotton.

Thanks for any ideas.

*I was squatting in close quarters to install some equipment down low in a rack and the unused cable conduits behind me were sealed with this pink gooey Silly Putty. They stick out of the floor about a foot or so and when my rear end hit them it gave me visions of dropping the soap in prison. Hell of a place to terminate the conduit sticking up out of the cement floor!
--
»www.trackstreamer.com
Streaming police & fire public safety online scanners

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
I would probably try GoJo first. Acetone evaporates very rapidly. Although it would help to know more about the product you sat on.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2
reply to BoteMan
If the pants are truly just thick cotton (no polyester or other synthetic material), and unless they are dyed a dark color, the acetone should not hurt the material at all. Just be sure to wash and heavily rinse with water out the residue (by hand) before the acetone has a chance to completely evaporate to avoid any staining.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to BoteMan
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner (spray can). Try a test spot first for color fastness. Place towel between the seat and the stain to absorb the excess. Then launder normally.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?