Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kevinki155

@optonline.net

1 edit

OOL Price change

I received my bill today with a notice of a $5 price change coming next month. I think their timing stinks.

After Sandy I was without service for 2 weeks due to power still being out in part of the neighborhood so they had no power for their equipment.

Meanwhile Fios never went down, we powered up my neighbors house from my generator and all his Fios stuff came up. After waiting 2 days without OLL I ran a 200' network cable to his house and pluged into his Fios router. It gave me my internet and Vonage phone service for 2 weeks, the phone was vital as we all know how bad cell service was in the weeks after Sandy.

Looked kinda funny, a large black power cable going one way and a blue cat.5 going the other way.

Everyone else I know with FIOS had full service as long as they could power the equipment in their house, it just did not work that way with OOL.

Real bad timing Cablevision

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

Re: OLL Price change

What does their rate increase have to do with Sandy? It was probably in the works long before the storm hit. Should they just put off business decisions indefinitely?

And why is it their fault that OOL needs POWER to run? It's the nature of the beast. If you are not happy with that potential problem, you are free to switch to FIOS apparently. And if you don't happen to have a generator sometime down the road when there's another extended outage, don't expect FIOS to work either.

OOL has it's issues at times, but this isn't one of them. Not going to blame them for something far out of their control.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

RobertMets12

join:2010-10-16
Why can't Optimum extend the free wifi into the neiborhoods during a long power outage so people can use there laptops and iPad at home. And while their at it they should take the having to be on your home network restriction away on the laptop and ipad apps so people can watch tv at home so losing power won't be as bad atleast we can access the Internet and watch tv.

centraljers

@optonline.net
reply to Kevinki155
Did you complain to your power company about being without power for 2 weeks? How about the crappy cell service you were having?

Strange thing is that around here cable was back on WAY before power even thought of fixing stuff. This was the case for most Cablevision customers.

5 dollar increase after no increase for many years, doesn't seem too bad. There's also some issue going on for someone all the time. When is it ever a good time to raise prices?

RemyM

join:2005-02-14
Stamford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Kevinki155
»OOL going up $5 on 1/1/13

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Kevinki155
OK, but Cablevision gave you a credit for the lack of service during the power failure.

P.S. My POTS and Verizon Wireless cell phone worked fine during the power outage.

Bob4
reply to RobertMets12
said by RobertMets12:

Why can't Optimum extend the free wifi into the neiborhoods during a long power outage so people can use there laptops and iPad at home.

Because the hotspots are powered by the same power source. So they won't work during a long power outage.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to Kevinki155

Re: OOL Price change

said by Kevinki155 :

Meanwhile Fios never went down, we powered up my neighbors house from my generator and all his Fios stuff came up.

That alone should be enough reason to switch to FIOS - and with an OOL rate increase as well??

Sounds like FIOS would be a good choice for you.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to Kevinki155
my father in law lost fios
my brother in law lost fios
my brother lost fios

they live in different cities in nj and were knocked out due to sandy
all needed fios tech to come out after power was restored

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY
reply to Kevinki155
said by Kevinki155 :

Meanwhile Fios never went down, we powered up my neighbors house from my generator and all his Fios stuff came up.

To their credit, when I fired up my generator, my cable modem and router came up fine. I had OOL as long as my generator was running. Each network had its issues. FiOS in my area could just has easily been down if a tree took out the line.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
reply to Kevinki155
We had patrons here in Huntington that did not get fios back till 3 weeks after sandy. Some of them brought their whole towers and lcd panels just to use our wifi till fios came back up.

SHoTTa35

@kfvaluation.com
I'm in CT and no FiOS where i am at but OOL came back instantly when the power came back. It was on for a few hours as well after the power went out (tested), not sure exactly when after that it went out as my battery backups died.

I don't blame em for Sandy and i wouldn't expect everything to be working perfectly after a storm either as there could be wires down somewhere which the power company has to take care of first before CV can do anything, that can take days/weeks so until then they have to sit back and wait.

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
reply to jaa
jaa, some friends who have FIOS did not have service either.
--
Ken

Littlebylil

join:2013-01-08
reply to Kevinki155
Do you have a basic 50$ plan or do you have Boost too? We already paying 65$/month for both, now it will be 70$???

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
So now the 50 Mbps plan is only $5 less than Fios' 50 Mbps plan (plus the tax on Fios' internet service portion of the bill).

CV didn't raise video rates at all last year, while every other major provider did (some, twice). That's impressive enough to me.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to kdshapiro
said by kdshapiro:

jaa, some friends who have FIOS did not have service either.

Yes. But his experience in his neighborhood was FIOS never went out, and CV was out. And now CV is raising his rate.

Which is why I said for him switching to FIOS would be an easy decision. If he had FIOS, he believes his service would have been up.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Everyone I know with Fios had service (this includes down the shore where people had 4 feet of water in the street), and everyone I know with CV lost service (even where there was no damage to the cable lines).

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ
reply to Kevinki155
on service is immune to outages
just take a look at the Verizon fios forum
loaded with various threads

Littlebylil

join:2013-01-08
I second this, we had an outage maybe once in the past 3 years - and I am online 14hrs a day

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Everyone I know with Fios had service (this includes down the shore where people had 4 feet of water in the street), and everyone I know with CV lost service (even where there was no damage to the cable lines).

Wires don't necessarily need to be damaged in order for their to be service outages.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
said by Jmartz:

said by Bob4:

Wires don't necessarily need to be damaged in order for their to be service outages.

Obviously, given CV's performance after the storm.

The point is that the Fios system doesn't rely on there being many power supplies distributed throughout the coverage area. So Fios is able to provide service when there's a prolonged, widespread power outage.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
The outages By the storm were caused for most people by trees taking out poles and wires affecting both Verizon and cablevision.

I have patrons who had fios out longer then cablevision was out in the area.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
All underground utilities by us. No wires down in the area. Power was out. CV was dead. But POTS and cell phones still worked.

kevink1955

@optonline.net
The end to my story is I do not know anyone who has FIOS (12 or more people) who lost their FIOS service as long as they could provide power to the FIOS equipment in their homes.

A little research on FIOS indicates their network does not require LIPA or generator power anywhere but your home and the central office where Cablevision needs utility power in multiple places (at pole mounted power supplys) to function.

Sure Sandy could have damaged FIOS fiber and you would have to wait for repair but in many places they had no damage and continued to operate. Ever notice where the fiber is on the pole, it's in the lowest spot meaning a falling tree has to fall thu LIPA and Cablevision before it hits the FIOS fiber. Even a pole that has been knocked over will pull on the fiber less that the services located above it.

Anyway, the FIOS order has been placed and install scheduled. The sandy outages are not the only reason, the inconsistant speed is the other. Cablevisions network has always had slowdowns during peak usage periods where I have never had a FIOS user voice the same complaint.

So I move from inconsistant speed to inconsistant billing. Lol

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Cablevision's cables run 10 miles* on poles to get to my house. That's a lot of opportunity for storm or accident related damage.

The Verizon CO is just 1 mile from my house, and the wires are mostly (maybe even completely) underground. They're not going to get damaged by a storm or accident. Plus the CO has a big diesel generator and fuel tank, so power outages are not a problem.

* That's an estimated distance, because the exact location of CV's Warren head-end is some deeply held secret.