Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to mettachain

Re: Auction House bleeting

said by mettachain:

You have to have money to make money

This is my point, it appears you didn't read my post.

I have used all of those addons aside from TheUndermineJournal. Thanks for the gold guide though...

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Draiman

Even easier is to install Auctioneer add-on. It will read the current stuff and list it like 10% lower by default.

This reminds me that even though this thread is focused on those who post too low, there are just as many out there that post off the charts (which screws you in the take 10% off theory and auctioneer analytics). Those are the people that deserve the loathing condemning attitude as they are just plain consciously griefing.

This other guy is just trying to make some quick extra gold without having to spend the time to research to "maximize his profits". What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky

join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by Carpie:

Even easier is to install Auctioneer add-on. It will read the current stuff and list it like 10% lower by default.

This reminds me that even though this thread is focused on those who post too low, there are just as many out there that post off the charts (which screws you in the take 10% off theory and auctioneer analytics). Those are the people that deserve the loathing condemning attitude as they are just plain consciously griefing.

This other guy is just trying to make some quick extra gold without having to spend the time to research to "maximize his profits". What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

You only get out of something what you put into it. The vendor is his friend. Why bother listing stuff since that is the most time intensive part of the process if you won't get a return on that time? It makes no sense at all!
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

What are you guys, CEOs and CFOs?

Supply and demand is not exclusive to CEO's and CFO's...

This is part of making gold by having gold... Buy out an underinvested market category and post it much higher for as long as you can maintain it. This is actually healthy for the "WoW economy".

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Toastertech
I use to only list a fraction of my supply to give the sense of a shortage as well. When I noticed someone buy up all of an item I had up I could contact them and offer a bulk price. Much easier then keeping a million items up on the AH all the time and generates more revenue. I tend to run into power levelers this way who spare no expense to level up a profession. Instead of selling 20-30 malachite now I'm selling them a bulk package that will get them from 1-300 in JC and clear a dozen or more inventory slots.
--
IF YOU FIND ANY MISTAKES IN MY WORK...Please consider that they are there for a purpose. I try to please everyone and there is always someone looking for mistakes!

Carpie

united state
reply to Snuffbox
Yeah I get it. I work in Supply Chain Mgmt and the MBA took me through many-a Finance and Economics courses. I'm with ya, I am. And probably it's my own daily regimen of having to analyze,strategize, and negotiate throughout the day in RL that causes my empathy towards the guy, but I'm just saying hate on the griefers, not this poor guy. He's probably like me and plays WoW to be mind numb for part of the day rather than an in-game think tank.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Toastertech
He had to think enough to come up with a price then list the item. It's really no extra thought to pick a reasonable price since the process is the same. That's all people are saying.
--

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to Carpie
Not everyone plays to be "mind numb" and when a player infringes on a certain niche market within the AH, it is either viewed as some casual AHer with extra crap on hand and wants to get rid of it or an afront to carve out a piece of that markets particular pie. The latter is not something to be taken lightly by the veteran AHer of that certain market niche. However for a short period it does give the economy a healthy break from static pricing and offers the opportunity to purchase items that were out of reach for some players, albeit for a limited time.

Also, I'm happy to hear about your MBA in economics and Supply Chain Mgmt. I currently possess neither but like Snuffbox said, "supply and demand" is not limited to CEO/CFOs. It's basic economic survival that a child understands. Kudos to you on brokering relationships to sell items in bulk. If you look on the AH throughout your time being "mind numb" as well and notice certain sellers posting loads of items on the AH for pennies on the dollar or you suspect someone might be a Chinese gold farmer, it might benefit you a little bit to learn some Chinese gamers phrases that a simple google/bing search will cough up. Speaking to suspect Chinese farmers in their own language through short phrases will help develop a symbiotic relationship and will definitely be profitable for you in the long run. I have used this as well. the last few months of Cata helped net me quite goose-egg to sit on based upon relationships I cultivated with a couple of Chinese players.

So the TLDR portion: In WoW there are many facets to the game. PvE progression, PvP progression, material farming, tradeskill maximizing, and Auction House. The AH is not a small part of the game. It is in fact, a very large aspect of it.
--
Reading your post made me want to punch a kitten in the jawbone.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Toastertech
I never thought about this until now but selling tons of stuff aka 'cleaning out old stuff' at low prices could be seen as a hacked account by Blizzard. This is exactly what people do when they get your account info so it could trigger a temp ban. Just a thought.
--

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
Put your tin foil hat away man. There are a lot more variables at play when an suspect account is being investigated.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
Click for full size
said by mettachain:

Put your tin foil hat away man. There are a lot more variables at play when an suspect account is being investigated.

You really should have used the whole image for your avatar.
--

Carpie

united state
reply to mettachain
said by mettachain:

Kudos to you on brokering relationships to sell items in bulk.

That was Xcal. I'm the one who has never had more than $16k or so to his name I'm no better off than the OP on this topic. Well maybe a little bit better, which was actualy due to your suggestions on ways to make gold over the break. Now I'm using auctioneer again and have the sites like wowuction as favorites and generally check them before posting. And hey, just sold my first item over $1k a few days ago. A royal satchel for $7k (which was the suggested wowuction price for my realm). So look at me, out of diapers and into toddler pants.

said by mettachain:

So the TLDR portion: In WoW there are many facets to the game. PvE progression, PvP progression, material farming, tradeskill maximizing, and Auction House. The AH is not a small part of the game. It is in fact, a very large aspect of it.

Fair point. Since I had my blinders on to it, I had never given it consideration (until you recently educhamatated me).

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Toastertech
sounds like the WoW AH actually needs to be studied harder than when you sell things in EVE.

I have done AH dumps before. Came back from a short break once in BC era had about 30 stacks of fel iron bars. I simply did a dump sell. Depressed the fel iron bar market for about three weeks, but I cleared up my bags and got back on with playing as normal. I have never actually gamed the AH, and considering I only have 12k gold total I doubt I have the funds to. Guessing it takes like 300k just to make entry now.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
12k gold is more than enough to get your foot in the door. When I first started gaming the AH my total gold on the toon I bank with was 200g. Obviously, you won't burst on the high dollar items right away but you'd be surprised how easy and how fast seemingly cheap trade goods sell on the AH. I imagine, using my own experience as an example, that you will quadruple that 200g in a matter of 2 weeks if you truly are interested in AH gaming.

The things you think you can't sell or you think have little value can and will turn out to be very lucrative products to some players.

There are many vendors throughout the cities that sell garments/clothes for silver and cheap amounts of gold that you can turn around and profit at least double what you paid. I purchased a few casks of red wine in Dalaran a couple months ago. They take exactly 1 year to age (sit in my bank) and when that time is up, they turn into a permanent blue item you can place on the ground and have your party/raid partake in. These beauties will net me approx 7k each and i have 5 sitting in my bank. Granted that example is a long term investment but you get the point.
--

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Carpie
My apologies Carpie, I was reading posts rather fast on this topic. I get flustered when someone doesn't seem to understand that being broke in WoW is crime and they must be informed of some ways to stay on top.

I rolled your post and Xcal's into one, so once again, sorry for that.

I'm glad that my suggestions to help you make some funds has paid off for you.

Anyone else reading this and jotting down notes remember this:

The only time Success happens before Work is in the dictionary...
--

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Draiman
You are now the second outstanding contributor to this forum that has made me this poster. Thank you for that.

Although, the first one had my username inplace of James Kirk.
--

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
reply to Toastertech
Tons of items you can buy up a large amount for a few hundred gold then resell them for a few thousand gold. Here's an old screenshot from 2009/2010. Some of those same items are still gold mines right now. JC gems will always been a gold mine since people need them to skill up.
--

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
reply to Toastertech
OK, so today I received another in game mail from this what I am beginning to consider as a slightly delusional individual. As a reference I have not replied to any of his previous mails, he seems to be under the impression that we have an agreement where we sell our items on alternate days only, or as he has warned me he will continue cut my items as I post them.

Although it may have been fun to continue playing I have decided to place him on ignore and will continue to post my items whenever I want at the recommend price as per my auction add on.

Although it has been mildly amusing so far I really do not want to be drawn into an argument with someone over a freaking game. As I alluded to earlier I only play for fun not profit in the WoW economy, seeing as this person's guild refers to the AH I think he may possibly take this game a little too seriously.

I do have to say that the information seen in the replies so far are very interesting and may consider trying some of the strategies, so keep em coming.

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
reply to Toastertech
I used to make so many people angry when ore prices plummeted. I would buy almost all the ore for about 7 or 8k, and wait. I repost friday afternoon for about 100 gold a stack. 20 mins or so later, it's gone and I usually make a profit of about 5-8k depending on the week. Prime time to post stuff like that is to see what major raiding guilds raid times are, Post the items like that. I spend spirits on Golden Lotus and bank right before their raid times. As for the idiot that somehow thinks he's the god of the AH, just ignore him or you could file a ticket for harrassment and get him a temp ban. I got someone perma banned like that because he kept threatening to hack me if I didn't stop undercutting him. I just laugh at retards like that. It's why I love this game lol. People freak out over the smallest crap.

BillGeitner

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to Toastertech
I haven't gone through all the posts, but ignore him. The AH is free-market capitalism. Anyone can get in and compete on a level field with anyone else. Anyone who says it's "unfair" or "uncalled for" or flames you is a moron. His remedy is to undercut you, if he is willing to sell that low.

Very few players understand the economics of WoW. It's a game, and if a player needs something to advance what they're doing, they want it NOW. That means they're generally willing to pay what's being asked if they can afford it. However, depending on what server you're on, there may not be many players who want a particular item. Also, some items are plentiful, and others are not. It's supply and demand.

If you understand this simple principle, and want to make money on the AH, it's easy. First, find a market for which there is a steady demand, but not an oversupply. If you do an AH search, and there are 50 people selling, chances are there's an oversupply; if there are usually only a few or maybe up to a dozen, then there probably isn't.

Second, understand what it costs you in time and gold to obtain the item. If you're gathering, that means the time spent gathering; if you're crafting, then the cost of obtaining the mats.

Third, figure out the market price range. The market will fluctuate because there are morons on both ends of the spectrum. Take advantage of the morons who sell below cost by buying their stuff and relisting; the other morons will take care of themselves. How you should price will depend on what you're selling. If you're selling mats or consumables, individual players may need lots, so you may not need to undercut, just price competitively. If you're selling gear or mods, any particular player is only going to buy one of the item, so if you want to sell, you need to be the lowest priced.

Now, because players want whatever it is NOW, if the lowest current price is within the price range, and you undercut by more than a copper, you're leaving gold on the table. If the buyer was willing to pay what the lowest current price was asking, he'll buy your item instead even if it is only one copper less. By undercutting by more than a copper, you've left the difference on the table.

Expect to be undercut. If you really want to sell, list your auctions for 12 hours, and be ready to relist when they expire. Check to see whether you've been undercut several times a day, and if so, cancel and undercut, depending on what you're selling.

However, the most important rule is to never undercut or even compete with me, whatever I'm selling, on whatever server I happen to be on.

Draiman

Kill Devil Hills, NC
said by BillGeitner :

However, the most important rule is to never undercut or even compete with me, whatever I'm selling, on whatever server I happen to be on.

What's your character name and on what server? I'd be more then happy to run you out of business.
--
Expand your moderator at work

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to mettachain

Re: Auction House bleeting

said by mettachain:

You are now the second outstanding contributor to this forum that has made me this poster. Thank you for that.

Although, the first one had my username inplace of James Kirk.

You're welcome, again.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Toastertech
Has toastertech or any other poster had a chance to review the addons/tips i suggested?

can you share your story with less experienced AHers? I know Carpie is doing pretty well now.
--
Use that Kudos button damnit!

Toastertech
Premium
join:2003-01-05
Canada
I have been using The Undermine Journal and going through my bank and selling mostly herbs and metals as that is what I have readily available.

Using the information from the Journal with regards to hot sellers I have also be buying up any hot items that are currently being listed as less than 75% of the going price and re-posting at going rates.

As seen by a cropped screenshot from bean counter I have gained some mostly in the last 2 days.