uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hydrolis
The Hydroman

join:2003-02-22
ONT, Canada

Constant disconnecting issue isolated to 1 comp on network

Hello everyone!

I am in need of your expertise to troubleshoot and solve a rather annoying problem I am having with a single computer on my network disconnecting/immediately reconnecting to wireless internet.

So for the past month or so I've had this odd issue whereby my Win7Pro desktop PC keeps dropping it's wireless internet connection, and then 2 seconds after it drops, it reconnects as if nothing happened. I would describe it as a 'flicker' in the connection that happens every 3-5 minutes while online.

It APPEARS to happen only when I try and do something within my browser (load a new page), it also happens while on Skype (more frequently on Skype, maybe it drops when more information is being sent across the wifi), etc. For instance, it has happened twice (I've been watching the wireless internet access icon down in my taskbar) since I started typing this message.

What I see on my end is, the 5 'lit up bars' in the taskbar icon suddenly go grey, a little yellow circle appears, it 're-finds' my wireless network, and I'm back online.

Note: This does not happen on my other computers/devices within my house. All other networked devices hold their connection constantly with no issue. Nothing happens on my modem/routers end (the lights don't change or anything). -- I have a different computer beside me (a laptop, also on wireless) that does NOT drop connection when my desktop PC does.

The issue appears to be isolated to this computer only.

I figure that:
- Somehow a software setting for my wireless adapter got changed on my computer
- Somehow a setting within my router got changed and now it's not cooperating with my desktop PC
- There is something suddenly screwing with the wireless transmission (maybe my little antennae is crapping out on the back of my network card, my network card is dying)

**Nothing has changed within my computer since this started happening, nothing has changed in regards to my router/modem either. I haven't updated any hardware/software.

I've re-started my router/modem and the problem persists.

But I really have no idea what it is, nor do I have any idea where to begin tackling this issue. But as you can imagine it's extremely frustrating so I would appreciate any help you can give me!

Additional info:

Windows 7 Pro OS 64-bit
Intel core i5-3550 @ 3.30 GHz
16 GB (8x2 RAM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Thomson DCM425 Cable Modem
D-LINK Extreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655)

When I go into device manager, it says:
Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (it tells me the driver is up to date when I click 'update driver')

When I look at the box for the network card I actually bought:
TP-LINK 150 Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter (Model #: TL-WN781ND)

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
If your laptop (that does not have connection problems) is in the same physical area as your desktop, that would probably rule out outside RFI/EMI as the cause (although some interference could be coming in on the power line to the PC, so perhaps trying the PC on a different AC outlet with a new power strip might be something to try).

If I were seeing those symptoms, I would delete the wireless profile that is currently being used with that WiFI NIC, and also go into Device Manager and delete the NIC there.

After that, I would shutdown the PC, and remove/reseat the NIC in its PCI Express socket (and/or move it to another socket if one is available). After powering back up, I would reinstall the NIC driver and setup the wireless profile again. If the problem persists, then it is probably a hardware problem with the WiFi NIC.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to Hydrolis
Agreed with NetFixer. Sounds like it is most likely the wireless card itself (though to his point could be the connection as well). Either way, my bet is on hardware.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Carpie:

Agreed with NetFixer. Sounds like it is most likely the wireless card itself (though to his point could be the connection as well). Either way, my bet is on hardware.

Besides being a cheapskate, I am retired and living on a mostly fixed income. Also I have seen reseating/relocating a PCI card fix a lot of problems over the years. Spending money on new hardware is a last resort for me.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
Good man. There isn't enough of the repair first, replace second attitude out there. I'm sure it will come back again though as the need comes back. Wasn't all that long ago (relatively speaking) that recession ruled and people had no other choice. And though I'm over-generalizing with this statement, my own experience with many of the current generation is that they are not too eager to jump into the workforce and lack the ambition of their parents. Their grandparents had nothing which created a hunger in their parents to have ambition and not be like that which caused their children to not go without and not have that strong of an appreciation for the hard work/rewards method. It will all come full circle once again. It always does.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to Hydrolis
Check that the nic does not have power saving features enabled. The nic might be going to sleep and then waking back up when you request another page.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to Hydrolis
I had something similar happening that continued for a month. I replaced, changed, and relocated with the same result. It was not the router, the modem, the new portable phones, or the inside wiring. The telco had recently switched to an optic fiber system, and then tried to patch it using the wrong software and took 6,0000 customers off line.

You might try changing all auto responses such as "wake from sleep", "upgrade" and external units like the printer that have to reload every time you reboot to manual. All it takes is one misplaced character in a line of code to cause you to see some very strange things.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by linicx:

I had something similar happening that continued for a month. I replaced, changed, and relocated with the same result. It was not the router, the modem, the new portable phones, or the inside wiring. The telco had recently switched to an optic fiber system, and then tried to patch it using the wrong software and took 6,0000 customers off line.

And this caused only one wireless computer on your LAN to intermittently disconnect, and did not effect any other device on your LAN? That would be a very strange telco problem.
--

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Yes, and I too do not know why.