spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth

Putting server in DMZ AND local network

I have a Dell PE 2950 rackmount server. I love this server, and it's powerful enough to do more than I have it doing now. I want to add external FTP function and possibly web hosting to it, and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I have DSL through a Netgear 7550 connected to a Cisco 48 port switch. The rest of the network runs off this switch.

The server has 4 network cards and I have lots of switches and routers, so hardware isn't a problem. I'm just not sure how to go about setting this up. I'm willing to work with virtual machines if necessary.

If anyone has experience using a single server (or VMs) on both a local network and DMZ network, help me figure this out. I'm really unsure of what to do here.
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

Speaking in general terms...

You first need to setup the modem to provide a dmz to one of the switch ports.

Next your would connect one of the spare nic in the server to the the dmz.

MAKE SURE THE DMZ NIC IS PROPERLY FIREWALLED!
Be sure only those services that should respond to requests from the dmz will respond everything else should be ignored.

You would then need to double check your ip tables (route table) are going in the right directions. The servers primary links should be through the normal path with only replies to external requests going through the dmz.

I have done this in the past by adjusting the table to show the connection through the dmz is the longer path.

I typically use GRC's sheilds up tool for my initial confirmation that things are configured right. Do a FULL scan!

The above is basically the limits of my knowledge in this field. If you need more info you should google it or find a server specific forum.
jelavich
join:2006-05-22
Elkins, WV

jelavich to jamesonnorth

to jamesonnorth
why not instead of all the DMZ just port forward a few things to your box like http/ftp/ssh? seems simpler.
SteveJobs
join:2012-07-18

SteveJobs to jamesonnorth

to jamesonnorth
Good luck. Running a server off dsl ought to be a doozy!

Not mentioning frontier can turn off your Internet if they found out
SteveJobs

SteveJobs to jamesonnorth

to jamesonnorth
Good luck. Running a server off dsl ought to be a doozy!

Not mentioning frontier can turn off your Internet if they found out

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

I ran a person website off of my Verizon DSL connection back when it still had 128kbps upload. It worked pretty well as long as you kept the heavier things (>1.5MB) Off of the home server.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to jelavich

to jelavich
It'll just be a server for me. I won't be hosting things for other people. I doubt I'll be transferring enough data for Frontier to really care. I've been backing up files to an online backup service, but I have about 1.2TB of data to back up, so on my 6/1 connection it'll take a while. I figure if I have the FTP server for me to access work and school files on the go, it'll help make things work better until everything's online. I'll only be using the server for files under 5MB, and only for occasional use.

I tried forwarding FTP (ports 20 and 21) to my server but it didn't work besides connecting to localhost from the server itself. If you have any advice on making that work, I'd appreciate it.

Frontier is supposed to be installing a second wire pair from the CO to my house so I can run the 12/2 package, so for normal light use, 2mbit should be enough to run FTP for just me.