how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NealB

join:2013-01-08
T2P0X2

[AB] ETTS - Calgary SW

Just wanted to say I have been reading this site for close to 7 years now, but today I decide to join the family and post.

I just switched from Shaw (100/5) to Telus (50/10) and while Shaw wasn't bad, it typically only ran ~50-60Mbps so I figured I would give Telus a try with their new offering. I have to say, the speed is great and I am getting more than what I pay for (70/25)!

Interestingly enough, I realized ETTS doesn't require any Telus hardware at all, everything is provisioned on the switch which I'm assuming is onsite somewhere in the MDU. After everything was up and running with the provided Actiontec V1000H, I simply swapped it out for my Apple Airport and got even better results (most likely from using the 5Ghz with wide channels).

Is anyone aware of any downside to this configuration? Keep in mind this is for internet only, I do not subscribe to any voice/video service. I like the simplicity and coming from TWC/FiOS/CV experiences, its nice to not have to worry about carrier CPE's limitations, bridging, etc!

jitterbug
Premium
join:2004-08-18
Calgary, AB

Using the Airport should not have any drawbacks. Is the Airport configured with NAT or bridging only? Just be aware that you will only be able to get two dynamic IPs via DHCP if your using bridging rather than NAT on the Airport.

TAKN

join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB
reply to NealB

No downsides, only upsides . Upsides being no garbage hardware from Telus, simplified networking, and less cords floating around.

I had Telus ETTS in Calgary SW last year. Being able to hook your router directly into the ethernet port and be up and running was beautiful. I switched to Shaw as I needed more speed, but with the launch of 50/10 I might go back.

I did have some difficulties with tech support for a while. Normally your phone number should be linked to your account profile. If you call in for support, you will be automatically transferred to a Telus TV upper tier support line (that also handles ETTS). In my case, my phone number was not linked properly and I was always transferred to basic Tier 1. The problem is that Tier 1 had absolutely no idea what ETTS was and they did not know who to transfer me to. So I would always end up in tech support hell and be transferred in circles. If this ever happens to you, just request to speak to the Telus TV support team and that should get you headed in the right direction.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to NealB

You don't, and I would strongly reccomend against using the actiontec unless you need the HPNA port. ETTS really was/is a great product (fast speeds, sub 2ms 1st hop ping). I'm not sure if telus is actively deploying it anymore, as it turned out to be a pita to coordinate installers, sparkies and splicers. Shame really.

openwire

join:2012-12-28
Victoria, BC

I think they're leaning more towards GPON in current MDU builds. It's a lot easier to drop off a box of bend insensitive fibre than it is having to co-ordinate the set up of a telephone room with ample AC power, rectifiers, batteries, and a switch etc.

EnigmaMac

join:2010-05-30
Calgary, AB
kudos:1
reply to NealB

Awesome, another Apple user in Calgary with the same exact setup as me with the Actiontec V1000H hooked up to Apple Airport with even better results. I am in NW Calgary, and very close to the DSLAM, but I don't have the 50/10 Telus package, I just have the 25/2.5Mbps and its damn good enough for me!

BTW - What is TELUS ETTS? I used to be very Network and Internet savvy. Now I am far behind, due to some addiction issues I have suffered for 9 years. Anyways, can somebody explain what ETTS?

Thanks. and Cheers to NealB, another Mac user using Airport! Awesome.

NealB

join:2013-01-08
T2P0X2

ETTS or Ethernet-to-the-suite is where fiber is pulled into the building and terminated to a switch that is serving ethernet links to each apartment via cat5/cat6. I wanted to post to point out to anyone that may not be aware that these builds do not require you to use the Actiontec V1000H at all, I simply connected my own router to the jack to obtain service (and the Telus equipment found a new home in a draw). I am not sure if this is possible when subscribing to voice or video service as the Actiontec may be marking packets for QoS purposes or providing another service?

Being new to Calgary and Canada, I find it interesting that Telus doesn't offer higher speeds to customers with ETTS or GPON access, is it possible Telus wishes to keep the product offering consistent across all markets? Coming from a FiOS market, I do know customers are easily confused given the network is a mix of ADSL/VDSL/BPON/GPON, each offering different packages/prices.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21

said by NealB:

Being new to Calgary and Canada, I find it interesting that Telus doesn't offer higher speeds to customers with ETTS or GPON access, is it possible Telus wishes to keep the product offering consistent across all markets? Coming from a FiOS market, I do know customers are easily confused given the network is a mix of ADSL/VDSL/BPON/GPON, each offering different packages/prices.

Its work in progress.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.