Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

Do I need a firewall being behind a router?

I've been a computer user for years, I could consider myself a veteran of the internet, but networking, not so much.

If I'm behind a firewall on my router (which I am) do I NEED a software firewall?

I'm naturally a paranoid person when it comes to viruses or anything of the kind, and I'm noticing traffic going to and from ip's located in california. Some going to UK and Ukraine and Latvia and crap like that when I'm using google chrome (Wtf? I don't visit foreign websites)

I've done scans of my pc with malwarebytes, avg, and windows defender, and hijack this which is all clear. So I know I don't have malware.

I'm sure some of these IP's are things like Nvidia Geforce Experience connected to look for updates, or the razer synapse cloud looking for updates etc.

Anyway thanks for the information. I blabbered a bit. Just wondering if I actually need this firewall, I'm using a free trial of bitdefender to see if it's worth the purchase, that's where I'm getting this firewall log info from.

yeah

@videotron.ca
Yes.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Optional
No.

Let the battle begin!

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable

1 recommendation

reply to Optional
I'm going to say no, you don't.

The firewalls built into Routers are pretty solid. I find the software firewalls built into Windows pose more problems than they offer in "protection". As long as you've got the absolute minimum ports opened in your router (if any), you should be fine.

Firewalls don't stop viruses.

If someone does manage to breach your router firewall, your PC-based firewall will be a piece of cake.

Spend your time shoring up your router firewall, for 95% of people, it's completely sufficient. Secure your router password, choose a very secure WPA2 passcode, and turn off any kind of automatic UPnP on it.
Expand your moderator at work

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to camelot

Re: Do I need a firewall being behind a router?

+1 Aye to that lad!

UPnP usually isn't a big issue, depending on the area you live in and what trouble makers you have. But no, not a huge concern for most people.

As with all things security, educate yourself you are the first and last line of defence on your own system.
--
----|- From the mind located in the shadows of infinity -|----
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted Zero
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Optional
Yes.

A router may not stop malware from getting onto your computers, but a decent firewall on your computer (properly configured) may help prevent malware from communication to the outside world. At the very least a software firewall will alert you to the presence of some malware.

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Optional
Bottom line, if it makes *you* feel more secure, by all means enable it. It's certainly not going to hurt anything.

Just remember that you've got it enabled, should you find something on your local network not working right!! I've banged my head for hours on a couple of issues only to remember that I once upon a time enabled it on 1 PC.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Yes.

A router may not stop malware from getting onto your computers, but a decent firewall on your computer (properly configured) may help prevent malware from communication to the outside world. At the very least a software firewall will alert you to the presence of some malware.

There has been a competent software firewall built into Windows since one of the service packs of XP (SP2, I think it was). It will ask for permission the first time any app attempts to make an outbound connection.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

4 edits
reply to Optional
A router is a firewall. If you have 2 firewalls running it can complicate things with your connection. Software firewalls are pretty much useless and easy to circumvent anyways. Malware and viruses are usually manually installed by the user, and most circumvent software firewalls. Not all anti-virus programs will catch Malware and viruses, and it's a lot harder to go through and circumvent a hardware firewall like a router. My advice would be to just run the routers firewall.

The best way to protect yourself against malware is to have a good antivirus program, and be cautious yourself online (what you download and where you go). You are doing good with Bitdefender. Bitdefender recently came on top with respect to real time antivirus protection from an independent study.

»www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us···ct-2012/

I would just use bitdefender's antivirus, and disable the bitdefender's firewall if you are running a router, but your best protection is your own common sense. Don't completely rely on anti-virus programs. No one anti-virus or malware program gives complete 100% protection.
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to Optional
My official answer.

If you're at home and it's your own router, you don't need to activate the software firewall on your computer.

If the router is in a public place, you DO need to turn on your software firewall!

Windows 7 does a good job of this, asking you with every new connection if you're at home, at work, or in a public place. The firewall adjusts itself accordingly, eliminating a lot of the nags you'd normally receive if the software firewall was always on.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

ruuunaaaway

@telus.net
reply to Optional
Yes!

But Windows firewall sucks. The original version only worked on inbound which was kinda ok for light attacks but otherwise it sucked.

Comodo has a decent firewall. The installer includes trial versions of anti-virus so un-check them during install.

Zonealarm is still around but its interface is odd in that the large banners of the 3 sections are clickable without looking like they are.

I have had some programs over the years that updating was banned via software firewall rules from calling home(pain in the butt updates usually, that could not be turned off). It was only a minor annoyance in the software but I own and operate the computer and not some corporation.

I find that Avast anti-virus is quite good at alerting with there is a malware link(script) on some blogs. It shuts down the link instantly.
If you have a blog, please check the links on the page that they are not added by some hack of your account or malware on your computer. Having 50 live links on your main page from various sources is bull-shit. Only one of them may be a malware link but quit live linking ok.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to yeah
said by yeah :

Yes.

and more yes
and more yes

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Optional
People get obsessed by the highly ineffective vectors like supplemental firewalls to replace the ones they already have, and completely miss far more dangerous vectors... You really have more important things to be worrying about than this.

My point is, a focus on security should be spent where it will be useful, not on trivial stuff like this.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
Mac users have the OS X firewall
»support.apple.com/kb/PH4275

and an app like Little Snitch is a good companion to that
»www.obdev.at/products/littlesnit···dex.html

ALWAYS enable the Apple firewall if you are roaming on unsecure networks, ie. hotels, Starbucks, car dealerships while waiting for your car, airports, conventions, etc....

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Optional
said by Optional:

I've done scans of my pc with malwarebytes, avg, and windows defender, and hijack this which is all clear. So I know I don't have malware.

If you have all of that crap actively running in the background, you're in worse shape than most infections would put you in.

I can't answer 'yes' or 'no' as to whether or not you need additional crap scanning your activities but it all depends on your behaviour. If you're watching TV shows on those web pages that illegally host them, then you probably should have a software firewall of some sort.

Personally, I think you should immediately uninstall AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials which will also disable Windows Defender, as you're really bogging down your system.

jkoblovsky

join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

said by urbanriot See Profile
Personally, I think you should immediately uninstall AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials which will also disable Windows Defender, as you're really bogging down your system.

What, MS Security Essentials? That security suite scored as one of the lowest with respect to effectiveness when independently tested. According to the below ratings your better off with AVG:

»www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-us···ct-2012/
--
My Canadian Tech Podcast: »canadiantechnetwork.podbean.com/
My Self Help and Digital Policy Blog: »jkoblovsky.wordpress.com/

DarkStar33

join:2008-03-27
Toronto, ON
reply to ruuunaaaway
said by ruuunaaaway :

Yes!

But Windows firewall sucks.

Not really, windows firewall has been very solid since XP SP3-4+ and very solid in Vista. Its only been tweaked and tuned since in W7 and W8.

If you are using XP in this day and age then I found your problem.

If you haven't noticed MSFT got sick of people complaining about how insecure there system was and rolled out some of the best security products on the market to everyone for free.
--
TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro (Toronto, ON)
»www.speedtest.net/result/1343900371.png

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Ok ok. I'll see if i like Bitdefender for this trial and if i do I'll buy it, it seems to have a pretty good firewall and overall virus protection from reviews.

Problems I have with software firewalls is P2P... I don't torrent but a lot of what I do for work we share files via P2P sometimes (most of the time it's dropbox) and with a software firewall up like AVG's internet security or Bitdefender my download speeds via p2p for work or World of Warcraft downloading patches is severely crippled.

When I got my new computer and was re installing World of Warcraft, it was moving REALLY slow. Like, 200-500kb/s. Downloading an 18gb that's PAINFULLY slow. I turned off my AVG's firewall (Bought 2012 avg internet security last year) and it skyrocketed to 3.5 mb/s.