spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

Does Skype suck or is it just me?

I first used Skype almost 10 years ago on the PC, but really haven't used it since then, didn't need to.

So this week I'm trying it out again, what I want to do is have the Skype app on my Android phone so that I basically have a second line on my cell. One for personal and one for business so I wouldn't have to carry around two cells.

So I get my Skype account all setup, pay for 3 months service and $10 of credits, install the app on my Android.

Note that I have a great signal, 5 bars and regular cell calls sound great.

But when I make a Skype call, there is a HUGE delay in what I say and when the other person hears it. Pretty much the audio doesn't start until after I finish speaking. So if I say 3 sentences in row, the other person won't even start to hear the first sentence until after I finish talking. And then the quality isn't very good either.

Anyone else have a better experience with it?

Or other recommendations for a VoIP service that can run as an app on an Android/iPhone that is better?
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

Have you tried the Google Voice app?
zephxiii
join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN

zephxiii to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
Are you trying to use Skype via VoIP over 3G Cellular? In my experience that just isn't reliable. It should work better over LTE....but I am not sure how reliable.
TherapyChick
join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC

TherapyChick

said by zephxiii:

Are you trying to use Skype via VoIP over 3G Cellular? In my experience that just isn't reliable. It should work better over LTE....but I am not sure how reliable.

Yes, Skype over 3G.

I haven't used Google Voice in a while but that was the next thing I was going to try, was just looking to see if anyone had found some fantastic VoIP service I wasn't aware of yet.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

1 recommendation

XCOM to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
said by TherapyChick:

Or other recommendations for a VoIP service that can run as an app on an Android/iPhone that is better?

No. If you are going to run over 3G you will all ways have issues.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
If you are quality conscious, IMO you should not be using any kind of VoIP over 3G.

Assuming that the business line is the more important, you might port the personal number to a VoIP service that rings both your (business) mobile and an IP phone or ATA at home. If you are out and need to make a call that shows your home number, you'd use an app that routes the call through your VoIP provider. Google Voice is probably the least expensive option, or choose one of the fine providers discussed here, for more flexibility and good support.

If you really want to do VoIP on an Android phone, I'd set it up so that when you are at home or at work, the SIP app connects via Wi-Fi, which should give you good quality. When you are away from a Wi-Fi connection, calls to the VoIP number would be forwarded to your mobile number.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to TherapyChick

Premium Member

to TherapyChick
Any sort of VoIP via a mobile connection (3G or 4G) will always have a rather large delay.

To answer the question in your title ("Does Skype suck or is it just me?"): No, it does not suck for me. I use Skype on my computer all of the time and my skype-to-skype calls work surprisingly well.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to XCOM

Premium Member

to XCOM
said by XCOM:

said by TherapyChick:

No. If you are going to run over 3G you will all ways have issues.

+1. Try Skype on your phone via WiFi and see if call quality is any different comparing to 3G. On my Droid Incredible it is much better via WiFi and is almost as good as on PC.

Also depending on your phone Skype may tax your CPU too much to keep up.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

Hagar to TherapyChick

to TherapyChick
Google voice app does not use VoIP, it used a cellular voice call to connect to google voice servers. Quality is much better but might not fit with what you want to accomplish.

Skype uses SILK or g729 codec which work much better over 3G than G711. E.g. if skype does not work well over 3G then you will probably not find a VoIP solution that does.
I can use G711 over t-moble 3G (good connection) but skype sounds better.

You did not say which provider you are using, your cellular data connection sucks but so do most cellular data connections.