join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by alkizmo:

said by leibold:

Sorry, but you are wrong on that one. I have already seen that at the local Fry's Electronic store.

10 years ago?
What?
Which fridge?
And what's the point?
My car's on Bluetooth, why aren't the fridges too?

Doesn't have an RJ45 jack. But does have WiFi -

»www.samsung.com/us/appli ··· HARS/XAA

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

said by ke4pym:

Those Samsung ones are more recent products. I looked at one of those as well (for curiosity, not with the intend to buy) and based on where the wireless antenna was located was wondering how well it would work. It seemed to me that the stainless steel exterior would block most of the wireless signal ?

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by leibold:

said by ke4pym:

Those Samsung ones are more recent products. I looked at one of those as well (for curiosity, not with the intend to buy) and based on where the wireless antenna was located was wondering how well it would work. It seemed to me that the stainless steel exterior would block most of the wireless signal ?

My original point exactly: WiFi is now for such appliances. RJ45 was 10-12 years ago when WiFi wasn't very main stream and expensive.

These were just computers in refrigerators. That fad probably came along with TVs in the refrigerator doors. It was a gimmick.

With laptops and tablets, nobody needs a computer in the refridgerator (for the women *wink wink*).

If appliances have internet hook up these days, it would only be for monitoring/remote control, which requires very little bandwidth and wifi would be most practical.

As for where the antenna is located, could be anywhere, maybe along the edge where there's a rubber pad protecting a corner so the stainless panels don't interfere.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

The antenna on the model I looked at was deep inside the door behind ice/water dispenser. It seemed to allow for only a narrow angle of exposure (towards the front of the refrigerator).

That might be fine if the fridge is installed along an exterior house wall since then the fridge front would face into the house. The only way that it would work if the fridge is installed along an interior wall is if you can pick up your neighbors wifi

It will be interesting to see what form of wireless home automation will ultimately prevail. There is nothing to prevent using wifi but Zigbee seems currently leading actual product availability (limited as it is). Bluetooth (as already mentioned) is being considered for this purpose as well.

The Internet fridge (depending on how it is being used) might be more bandwidth intensive (and hence wifi the more logical choice) then typical home automation tasks (sensors and controls).
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by leibold:

The Internet fridge

Why does that just sound so... cool?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym

Premium Member

said by NoHereNoMo:

said by leibold:

The Internet fridge

It really isn't. I'm a Samsung whore, I'll admit it. But their "internet-fridge" sucks. The layout of the shelves is poor. Perhaps if you lived alone and never made a turkey dinner, it'd be a fine fridge. But if you have a family or even another person living with you, it really isn't the fridge to have.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

...wasn't really referring to any specific fridge--just the term "Internet fridge" (in all its varied meanings of "coolness")

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

The Internet fridge (depending on how it is being used) might be more bandwidth intensive (and hence wifi the more logical choice) then typical home automation tasks (sensors and controls).

Yeah but we're talking about 1kb vs 50kb (depending on the level of useless junk is sent in between). Yet we're bashing WiFi because it can only do 8mbps in heavy traffic areas vs 1gbps wired. That 8mbps is gargantuous for any remote automation products.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold

MVM

The "high bandwidth" example I was thinking off was the case of watching a cooking show and following along in your own kitchen (or even just using it as a TV in general to follow that "must watch immediately" show while preparing a meal).
You might want a bit more then 50kbps for that but 1Mbps would certainly be enough for a quality video stream that lets you read the ingredients list clearly.

Not much bandwidth is needed for maintaining a fridge inventory even if you add online shopping to refill it.
leibold

leibold to NoHereNoMo

MVM

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

If you had seen the crowd of geeks surrounding it, you would have thought it was a hot item

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to leibold

to leibold
said by leibold:

The "high bandwidth" example I was thinking off was the case of watching a cooking show and following along in your own kitchen (or even just using it as a TV in general to follow that "must watch immediately" show while preparing a meal).

oh that...

well who knows if its heading that way, but I doubt it considering the trend is that everyone has a tablet (which can do a better job).

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to NoHereNoMo

MVM

to NoHereNoMo
said by NoHereNoMo:

said by leibold:

The Internet fridge

Only if it has Youtube and Netflix.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Cho Baka:

Only if it has Youtube and Netflix.

Yet the idea of staring at a fridge door seems.... deranged.
Is the person staring because he's having a diet dillema?
Or is he possessed like that girl in Paranormal Activity?