how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

Portal for DNS, whois, domain stuff? (iptools.com is dead)

After seeing a strange entry in my router's out-bound log (s.mol.im - probably related to web-metrics or ad-serving) I wanted to see who owned the domain mol.im before I added it to my hosts file. I went to iptools.com and was greeted with a stark "this domain may be for sale", with only a perfunctory "search" dialog box as the only function.

After using iptools.com to look up stuff like this for at least the past 4 years, I guess I'll be looking for a new portal to perform whois, domain and IP lookups now. Bummer...

IanBarnes
SofSwitch

join:2012-12-13
North Americ

Just use this one: »centralops.net/co/

It works well!

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
reply to sm5w2

I just checked and Iptools.com is still up for me. Maybe is was a temporary outage.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Click for full size
Poof
Looks gone to me too.

urbanguy

join:2002-12-14
Toronto, ON
reply to sm5w2

I use this one ... it's the only one that's stayed working over the past few years!

»cqcounter.com/whois/

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

> I use this one ... it's the only one that's stayed working over
> the past few years! »cqcounter.com/whois/

My HOSTS file (based on the MVPS hosts file) has cqcounter.com listed as "Cybernet Quest / SecuritySpace.WebBug". Which means they qualified as being a "nuisance" domain for one reason or another - worthy of blocking.

I liked iptools because I could enter an IP address and get ownership info (which country it belonged to, which ISP, and usually what entity it was assigned to) in addition to other stuff on their comprehensive front-end interface page.

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

I use www.robtex.com It does pretty much everything I need