Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[FiOS] "BIGTHANKYOU2"

Anyone else get a mailing for $100 Apple gift card for renewing or a $150 Apple gift card for renewing and upgrading?

»frontier.com/bigthankyou2

My problem is that with renewing I'm pretty sure my upload will go down (I have 25/25 currently) and I'll end up paying more than I am now for TV/Internet than I am now...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Re: [FiOS] "BIGTHANKYOU2"

I haven't, but I'm still under a 2-year price guarantee until later this year so maybe that's why.

If they sent me this offer, I would pass because I'm happy with what I pay and the speeds I get (even though I got in too late to get 35/35). This is certainly an incentive to get people on the new pricing plans but at least they're using the carrot of "here, have a free shiny" instead of the stick of "guess what, you're going to whatever rate we have now and you'll like it." I'm not opposed to a little bribery from my telco.

Cruz

@comcastbusiness.net

From what I read, they just want 2 year commitments, so you could keep whatever you have now and extend it for 2 years.

What I need to call about is whether this includes premium channels, because I cancel them for a few months when I don't plan on watching them.

rainydave

join:2007-02-12
Everett, WA

I received the same email.

What's weird is, I believe I am locked into a contract until 07/2014. My latest bill shows:
FiOS 35/15M Dynamic HSI Res Term 7/30/12 - 7/29/14

ScottJB

@frontiernet.net
reply to darcilicious

I was told I was not eligible unless I added more services. Funny thing is that the mailer said $100 if you keep the same services and $150 if you upgrade. I

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

I think it's really going to depend on what services you have now.

I'm fairly certain it will be next to impossible to renew my current TV package (2009 Extreme HD) and I'll lose channels going to the current Extreme HD and would have to move up to Ultimate (or whatever it's called AND pay more) to get those channels back (but a few more would also be included). We're not HUGE TV watchers here so there's no upside going that route.

I'm also fairly certain I will lose the 25/25 and the upload will drop to something like 15 or 10. Not a BIG deal but there's just no way this could be a win for me.
--

Cruz

@frontiernet.net

Ah, OK.

Yeah, I'm on 2009 Extreme HD 25/25 as well in Hillsboro.

I actually called them a while back to see if I could save money with triple play, and they told me since my package isn't offered anymore, I would only save money by getting packages that were worse.

hahahaha7

join:2011-12-06
Portland, OR
reply to darcilicious

Just called on this, I had 35/35 internet only at $54.19 per month. New price with 2yr contract was $54.99 per month for 35/35 so I bit. Had to agree to a 2 yr contact with price guarantee. GC should be here in about 8 weeks they said.

mwangen

join:2006-10-26
Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Well I called the 800 number on the flyer last night and talked to a CSR about my options. I currently have 25/25 with Extreme HD and a landline (no long distance). I asked if it was possible to simply keep what I have and qualify for the $100 gift card. After some back and forth he did extend my current contract which was about to expire on the 13th for two years giving me price protection for that time plus I get the $100 gift card. The trickiest part was that I do not have long distance and at first the CSR thought that I needed a digital phone to qualify for the rebate. Frankly I was less interested in the Apple gift card and really wanted to keep my current plan going with another two years of price protection. I was looking at my bill increasing $65 if I wouldn't have done anything. The new plans they offer would have given me less service (25/5) for still more money ($12). So I'm happy that I was able to keep what I already have and continue to pay the same as before for the next two years. The gift card is just gravy.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by mwangen:

So I'm happy that I was able to keep what I already have and continue to pay the same as before for the next two years. The gift card is just gravy.

That's good to know. We have double play here (no landline) and if I can really renew without them changing anything (including the price), then there's not much to lose I guess
--

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to darcilicious

I got one for my DSL.....I am a dry loop Business Customer so mine was $150.00 and $250.00

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Received the offer today on my second DSL line. Don't intend to take them up on it. The line continues to go up and down nightly, all night long. Already been to the Executive Office - next stop another complaint to the FCC and WV PUC.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

That's good to know. We have double play here (no landline) and if I can really renew without them changing anything (including the price), then there's not much to lose I guess

That's what the CSR told me. We'll see what happens when I get my next bill.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1
reply to darcilicious

Yes. Received the message a few days ago. Have no interest in it. Apple gift card is slap in face, not thank you. Thank you would be here have some extra bandwidth on us for being a loyal customer and sticking with us. Or here's a 5% discount for the next 12 months.

An even better thank you would be to make a long term commitment to both FiOS-TV & FiOS internet and let us know what it is.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

EdmondsFios

join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

"An even better thank you would be to make a long term commitment to both FiOS-TV & FiOS internet and let us know what it is."

This is the single most important point and stated so simply. It is the "let us know what it is" that wraps it up. With your consent, I am going to copy it and send it to my Washington Frontier execs.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Go for it.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to NOYB

Just thought of another thank you that would trump Apple gift card.

Higher recording capacity 4 tuner HD DVR for long term customers.

pdxhz

@frontiernet.net

said by NOYB:

Higher recording capacity 4 tuner HD DVR for long term customers.

good luck with that one. From what I've heard, FIOS TV might be on its last legs. An example mentioned in a conversation with "someone" at Frontier, mentioned a 700% cost increase to them for renewing Disney (ESPN, etc.) channels. Perhaps that's the reason they wanted a significant price increase at the end of my contract.

Not sue if the small video customer base (compared with Verizon) can shoulder the increased cost to keep the FIOS TV going. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

EdmondsFios

join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA
reply to NOYB

I will - thanks.

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25
reply to darcilicious

I just got one over the past week. I have POTS phone and a DSL line through them. I laughed because I should really thank them, as it reminded me that my bill is coming due and I need to cancel services from them in the next month.

BIGTHANKYOU indeed

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Well.... something went obviously wrong. My old contract expired on the 13th. This evening when I turned on my DVR I was greeted with this message:

There is no technical issue with your TV service at this time. To continue enjoying FiOS TV, please contact us so that we may resolve a matter with your account and discuss alternative FiOS service options.
For your convenience and for expedited service, please call our quick code line at 1-877-462-0688 and enter the four digit quick code XXXX where you will be directed on how to resolve this issue.

So I call the number and of course there is no option to enter a quick code. So I click my way through the automated phone system to the FiOS TV department and of course they are currently closed. No TV for me tonight. Thanks Frontier. I can't even watch what's already recorded on the DVR as it refuses to play anything or get off channel 256.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

mwangen - This is very shocking, even for Frontier. Please let the forum know the outcome. I have just have a feeling that they will try this all their services not just FIOS.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR

So I called the 1-877 number this morning and talked to a CSR in the FiOS TV department, who then transferred me to a different CSR in some other department. After 10 minutes of head scratching he determined that my TV service has been turned off and that he would have to speak to yet another department. He put me on hold and came back on a few times, but after 15 minutes or so he said this would take a little while and he would call me back in 20 minutes. This was an hour and 20 minutes ago. Shockingly I never heard back. Sigh. I hate this kinda crap.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Oh and on another note.. my internet is 35/10 now...

zebibyte

join:2006-04-25
Fairview, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to darcilicious

Yeah, I've tried a couple times to renew my existing contract, or even just keep my current services (35/35 and Ultimate TV) at the same price, and so far none of the reps will commit to anything but reduced service and a higher price. I don't think they can touch your service or bill without dropping the legacy products, so only 35/10 would be an option for me. I'd be very cautious if any Frontier rep says they can update your service and keep 35/35.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Things have gone from bad to worse. While my FiOS TV service is working again, Frontier has managed to completely mess up my internet. I don't have any internet right now. Not having TV is an annoyance but not having internet is a serious issue. I work from home and need VPN. Apparently they now have managed to f*%k up the ONT so bad that a technician will have to come out tomorrow. Not happy at all right now. Is it possible to reboot the ONT myself? What's basically happening is is that I don't get an IP address. I'm provisioned for Ethernet on my ONT so I can plug my laptop straight into the ONT. No go. Ethernet light is green and blinking. Windows reports 'unidentified network' no internet access.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

To reboot the ONT:

Power off the router
On the ONT, unplug power supply, then unplug battery
Wait for 30 seconds
Plug in battery, then plug in power cord
Wait a few minutes for it to finish
Power up the router
--

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
reply to mwangen

May need to wait for an existing/previous DHCP lease to expire before being able to get an IP address.

When we were Verizon the DHCP lease expiration was couple hours, but think it may only be about 30 minutes with Frontier.

You may also try using MoCA. They may have "inadvertently" switch it on you. Last year when my DVR was replaced they wanted and tried to switch me to MoCA but I would have none of it and insisted on Ethernet so I could run my own router.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

mwangen

Beaverton, OR

According to the CSR Frontier doesn't use MAC rules and you should be able to get a new IP w/o releasing the old one. Using MoCa is not an option as I am not using their POS router. Their router is only on my LAN to provide video on demand and the guide. My MoCa light on the ONT is off anyway.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

To reboot the ONT:

Power off the router
On the ONT, unplug power supply, then unplug battery
Wait for 30 seconds
Plug in battery, then plug in power cord
Wait a few minutes for it to finish
Power up the router