Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mwangen

join:2006-10-26
Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Re: [FiOS] "BIGTHANKYOU2"

Well.... something went obviously wrong. My old contract expired on the 13th. This evening when I turned on my DVR I was greeted with this message:

There is no technical issue with your TV service at this time. To continue enjoying FiOS TV, please contact us so that we may resolve a matter with your account and discuss alternative FiOS service options.
For your convenience and for expedited service, please call our quick code line at 1-877-462-0688 and enter the four digit quick code XXXX where you will be directed on how to resolve this issue.

So I call the number and of course there is no option to enter a quick code. So I click my way through the automated phone system to the FiOS TV department and of course they are currently closed. No TV for me tonight. Thanks Frontier. I can't even watch what's already recorded on the DVR as it refuses to play anything or get off channel 256.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

mwangen - This is very shocking, even for Frontier. Please let the forum know the outcome. I have just have a feeling that they will try this all their services not just FIOS.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR

So I called the 1-877 number this morning and talked to a CSR in the FiOS TV department, who then transferred me to a different CSR in some other department. After 10 minutes of head scratching he determined that my TV service has been turned off and that he would have to speak to yet another department. He put me on hold and came back on a few times, but after 15 minutes or so he said this would take a little while and he would call me back in 20 minutes. This was an hour and 20 minutes ago. Shockingly I never heard back. Sigh. I hate this kinda crap.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Oh and on another note.. my internet is 35/10 now...

zebibyte

join:2006-04-25
Fairview, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to darcilicious

Yeah, I've tried a couple times to renew my existing contract, or even just keep my current services (35/35 and Ultimate TV) at the same price, and so far none of the reps will commit to anything but reduced service and a higher price. I don't think they can touch your service or bill without dropping the legacy products, so only 35/10 would be an option for me. I'd be very cautious if any Frontier rep says they can update your service and keep 35/35.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Things have gone from bad to worse. While my FiOS TV service is working again, Frontier has managed to completely mess up my internet. I don't have any internet right now. Not having TV is an annoyance but not having internet is a serious issue. I work from home and need VPN. Apparently they now have managed to f*%k up the ONT so bad that a technician will have to come out tomorrow. Not happy at all right now. Is it possible to reboot the ONT myself? What's basically happening is is that I don't get an IP address. I'm provisioned for Ethernet on my ONT so I can plug my laptop straight into the ONT. No go. Ethernet light is green and blinking. Windows reports 'unidentified network' no internet access.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

To reboot the ONT:

Power off the router
On the ONT, unplug power supply, then unplug battery
Wait for 30 seconds
Plug in battery, then plug in power cord
Wait a few minutes for it to finish
Power up the router
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1
reply to mwangen

May need to wait for an existing/previous DHCP lease to expire before being able to get an IP address.

When we were Verizon the DHCP lease expiration was couple hours, but think it may only be about 30 minutes with Frontier.

You may also try using MoCA. They may have "inadvertently" switch it on you. Last year when my DVR was replaced they wanted and tried to switch me to MoCA but I would have none of it and insisted on Ethernet so I could run my own router.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

mwangen

Beaverton, OR

According to the CSR Frontier doesn't use MAC rules and you should be able to get a new IP w/o releasing the old one. Using MoCa is not an option as I am not using their POS router. Their router is only on my LAN to provide video on demand and the guide. My MoCa light on the ONT is off anyway.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

said by darcilicious:

To reboot the ONT:

Power off the router
On the ONT, unplug power supply, then unplug battery
Wait for 30 seconds
Plug in battery, then plug in power cord
Wait a few minutes for it to finish
Power up the router

Thanks I will give that a try.

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Quick update... my internet is working again. They had screwed up my 'profile' and needed to rebuild it. I'm now getting an IP address and can at least work from home again. However, I seem to be on the 25/5 plan now =/ This after the CSR assured me that my speeds would not change by renewing my contract. So my advise to ppl at this point is not to take this offer unless you thrive on fighting with your ISP. Can't wait to get my first bill and fight with the billing department. Yay.

WC_Gman

join:2009-01-07
Redmond, WA

1 edit
reply to darcilicious

Just tried here, and they wouldn't do 35/35. I have 25/25 now and I would need to go to 35/10 or 25/10. What a crock. I passed on the offer. No reason to be limiting upload speed like this with fiber.

Will someone who has 35/10 do a speedtest and see if upload really is 10 or is it really something higher?

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV
reply to darcilicious

I just received the notice in the mail today. It really is laughable. I can get the $100 gift Apple gift card or I can upgrade my services and get a $150 gift card. It is laughable because there the system will not support anything other than what we currently have. I am running at the highest available speed 1.5/.157 for my area, bonded service is not available. I already have the second connect, plus their unlimited telephone service. I have no plans to dump DirecTV for Dish at this time. Two years ago Frontier was in partnership with DirecTV and now they are pushing Dish. The backhaul for my area is 3 T1's. The capacity to offer higher speeds at this point does not exist, the remote is a new used piece of outdated equipment. What more could I ask for.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

You do realize this thread is labeled for FiOS users, yes? I did that for a reason... Feel free to start up a different thread for the DSL service/users so readers can compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.
--

Hank
Premium
Burlington, WV

1 edit

You were also talking about the renewal offer and that is what I commented on. It is a Frontier wide issues. Very sorry it offended you.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Apparently I wasn't clear enough for you.

This thread is about the renewal offer for FiOS users. Hence the word "FiOS" at the beginning of the thread title.

DSL offers are of no interest to FiOS users and I suspect the reverse is also true (re: my statement about being able to compare apples to apples).

I feel that I'm being very clear about the reason and the intent so while I'm not offended, I am annoyed.
--

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to WC_Gman

said by WC_Gman:

Will someone who has 35/10 do a speedtest and see if upload really is 10 or is it really something higher?

I don't think it's 35/10. Their tiers go 15/5, 25/10, and 35/15. I have 35/15 and my speed tests consistently show 15Mbps upload with bursts to 16-17Mbps.

Theoretically, one reason "to be limiting upload speeds like this with fiber" are for network management reasons. At least we can get 15Mbps upload. Comcast won't sell me a 15Mbps sustained upload residential connection for any price ("Extreme 105" in my area is 10Mbps standard upload, according to Comcast).

nightjars

join:2010-01-09
Bothell, WA
reply to darcilicious

I currently have the 35/35 FIOS plan, and have no desire to downgrade to the plans that are offered nowdays. If I re-up my contract, will they allow me to keep my existing plan and price?

mwangen

Beaverton, OR

said by nightjars:

I currently have the 35/35 FIOS plan, and have no desire to downgrade to the plans that are offered nowdays. If I re-up my contract, will they allow me to keep my existing plan and price?

Given my current experience I highly doubt it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to nightjars

said by nightjars:

I suspect not; it's literally impossible (based on their computer systems) for them to enter a plan they no longer offer (such as 35/35 or 25/25).

I'm holding steady having been off contract for years, no price change and still getting 25/25...
--

TJ_665

join:2001-07-04
Fairview, OR
reply to darcilicious

Yeah, I'm going to hold on to my 25/25 as long as possible. Not worth dropping my upload speed for some gift card.

hahahaha

join:2011-12-06
Portland, OR
reply to darcilicious

I was able to renew my 35/35 service on Jan 9. The first new bill posted to my "new" account, and it still reflects 35/35.

FRONTIER MONTHLY SERVICE CHARGES FROM 1/19/13 to 2/18/13
FrontierFast Internet 35M/35M 54.19
TOTAL MONTHLY SERVICE CHARGES 54.19

Now I guess we'll find out in about 6 weeks if I really do get the gift card or not.

td798

join:2013-01-31
Clackamas, OR
reply to darcilicious

After receiving the offer, I called Frontier to inquire on renewing my contract for the gift card. I have FiOS 35/35 Internet and Ultimate TV double play. I was told my rate would go up at least $30 more per month for 35/15 and Ultimate TV. My current contract is not up until June 2013 so I said no thanks. The rep then quickly mentioned that if I switched to Dish Network for TV, my rate for Internet would go down and I'd be spending less per month than I am now for similar TV channels. I have a hesitation to switch to satellite TV so I told the rep I'll hold off until my contract is up in 6 months.

On a side note: The rep said when they transitioned their billing over to a new system, the early termination fee did not carry over, so if I were to cancel service I would not be assessed the fee. I called Frontier the next day with the intent to speak to someone different, which I did, and they confirmed there was no early termination fee showing on my account. By telling me that, plus the sales pitch to switch to Dish, I get the feeling Frontier does not want my business anymore since I am a FiOS customer, which contradicts this current promotion.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Sounds to me like they are using the "thank you gift card" as bait to get the customer to sign up to more $$$ for less service. And if the customer doesn't bite, then push them to dish.

Take more money for less service if they can get it, and if not try to dump the customer off to dish.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

mwangen

Beaverton, OR
reply to darcilicious

Quick update. This 'promotion' has been an utter disaster for me. I'm now on month three of higher/incorrect bills way over what I was paying before ($320 vs $204). Despite assurances from the sales rep that I could keep my current internet plan I was downgraded from 25/25 to 25/10. Adding insult to injury I never even received the Apple giftcard. For some reason their billing department charged me double for the DVR and tripple for the one other cable box I have. Since I check all my bills before paying them I noticed the discrepancy and deducted the difference when I paid my bill. Of course this leads to 'late' charges for phantom equipment I don't possess on the next bill. When I called the rep in the billing department had the nerve to question how many cable boxes I have. Listen lady I don't give a rats what your monitor says.... I have one DVR and one cable box going back to Verizon days 4 years ago. Check all my previous bills. Your system is wrong.. it can tell you I have 50 cable boxes for all I care. All I'm paying for is what I have and not a penny more. I swear... monkeys could do a better job than their 'customer service' personnel.

TJ_665

join:2001-07-04
Fairview, OR

said by mwangen:

Quick update....
*snip*

Try contacting someone higher up and see if they can fix this mess you've been through.

»www.frontierforhome.com/oregon/leadership/ E-mail, twitter and phone contact for General Managers and Senior VP for Oregon.