Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
Dickinson, ND

1 edit

Lazarus

Premium Member

Final Wheel of Time

Click for full size
It has arrived and I am happy. No sleep the next day or two.

Edit: Sorry about the rotation. Posted that pic from my phone and for some reason it wanted to rotate.

Fixed that now too.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

I am half way through a re-read of book 13; going to pick this up today. Can't wait.

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium Member
Dickinson, ND

Lazarus

Premium Member

Finished my reread on 13 last night almost don't want to start this one at work.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
I'm going to have to dig up all my wheel of time books.
1]To see where I stopped at.
2]To re-read to refresh my memory.

Though if I recall, I got bored with some of them, because the story line dragged/bogged down. But i do want to finish off the series. How well does the replacement writer do?
I have read a few Casca books, written after Sadler's Death, and they stunk. which is funny because supposedly the series had been ghost written after the 10th or so book.

I did get hooked on the Sword of Truth book series though. supposedly there is a new one out in that series as well.

I also want to re-read L. Ron Hubbard's series Mission Earth. I have the complete set of hardcovers. It was a fun read.

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium Member
Dickinson, ND

Lazarus

Premium Member

Yes some of the middle books in the series did get a bit slow and tedious but they did serve a purpose.

Sanderson did an excellent job picking up after Jordan passed away. Some people of course complained but I have read the series many times and other than a slight difference in style it was excellent.

Never read Casca.

Sword of Truth series was excellent is on my regular reread list.

Mission Earth is also a series that I reread every couple of years.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Casca was a men's adventure series from the 70's and 80's. It was about "the" Roman soldier who drove his spear into the side of Christ. Christ "cursed" him, and he wondered the Earth from that time until now.
What I enjoyed about the series is that Sadler would put Casca into a few historical events. Of course the history isn't ironclad, but it did bring an interesting look at that event.
Kinda like Peirs Anthony's book Steppe. Anthony wanted to proof a point that sci-fi can be written that can entertain and educate. Steppe was his attempt and educating people about Attila the Hun.
»www.goodreads.com/book/s ··· 2.Steppe
quote:
Thrust naked and helpless at the moment of his death into a world he thinks is hell, a Turkish warrior chieftain discovers that this world, which is a strange recreation of his own, is inhabited by a race of humans known as Galactics.

Casca on the other hand was written to entertain. An extra bonus to casca was it was written by the guy that sung the song "Ballard of the Green Beret" and could have been the poster boy for Army Ranger recruiters. He was also a mercenary, a bar tender, and a writer.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

PhoenixDown to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
said by Lazarus:

Sanderson did an excellent job picking up after Jordan passed away.

I agree ... Sanderson has done an amazing job and, frankly, got the series back on track to where it should have been. Very detailed, but not long winded.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
My favorite is "Fires of Heaven", where Mat figures out his gift.

I hope that a Game of Thrones style treatment is done for this book series.

KingOfPants
Premium Member
join:2002-11-11
Canada

KingOfPants to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
Totally slipped my mind. Much thanks for the reminder. Ya I agree Sanderson was a good thing to happen to the series.

Why the hell is the ebook release date a couple months away? Thats nuts, give the people what they want, how they want it, or they'll find it someplace else.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
I watched the Midnight opening party online last night. There were quite a few people there wow.

Also I got a tweet back from @torbooks to confirm the paperback version of AMoL will be released January 2014. So I guess Tarmon Gai'don (The Last Battle) won't happen for some people for at least another year. Though the eBook version should be out April 9, 2013.
animepenguin
join:2001-04-29
Arecibo, PR

animepenguin to Lazarus

to Lazarus
Ordered mine a few days ago, I'll have to wait a week or two for it to be delivered.

Niarlan
Excelsior
Premium Member
join:2002-11-09
Manville, NJ

Niarlan to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
Got mine yesterday, doing a full reread though...and about to finish book 7, only 6 more to reread then the last battle. I do like Sanderson and I'm glad he's done with this and can get back to The Way of Kings series...looking forward to more from that world.

Nia

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium Member
Dickinson, ND

Lazarus to animepenguin

Premium Member

to animepenguin
Ordered mine last week through Amazon and it was here yesterday. I love Amazon for that kind of thing.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
Wow what an ending; very satisfying.

There are a few elements where I'm wondering if it came from Robert Jordan or Sanderson

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
Is this a good series to get into? My new job has A LOT of downtime, sometimes in classified areas, which means I can't bring electronics. I'm looking for a good series to get into.

I enjoyed Game of Thrones, do you all recommend this?
animepenguin
join:2001-04-29
Arecibo, PR

animepenguin

Of course we recommend it, we've been waiting 20 years for this to end. I still have about 2 weeks more before I get mine.
I'll try to make it last more than 3 days though. Learned my lesson already.

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium Member
Dickinson, ND

Lazarus to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
Very good series to get into. Be ready for it to slow down through the middle as a lot of story and character development happens but it picks up big time towards the end and the last book is great.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
I got mine Monday but have only had time to read the prologue. I agree with the consensus...Sanderson has done a great job with the books since RJ died.

I didn't re-read anything and am having the story and characters come back to me in bits and pieces when I read. It's kind of fun. In the beginning they talked about 'cutting up crows' and for an instant I was sure they were talking about the Night's Watch... .

Alakar
Facts do not cease to exist when ignored
join:2001-03-23
Milwaukee, WI

1 recommendation

Alakar to Lazarus

to Lazarus
Finished it and think it is a great finale to the series. Fast paced, great battle sequences, and I think they tied up every story thread. Very satisfying.

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
To me, this series had much in common with the Sword of Truth series, in that it started great, then faltered as the author tried to ride the train for as long as people would pay him for more books, then finally ended well. In Jordan's case he actually died before he finished it. The story told in fourteen novels could have been better told in seven or eight. That said, I still enjoyed the way it ended.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

The story told in fourteen novels could have been better told in seven or eight. That said, I still enjoyed the way it ended.

I can definitely agree with that. That said, no spoilers without tags yet please, I'm almost at the end!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I'm hoping to have an eReader by April... so I can catch AMoL eBook version comming from TOR April 9th. otherwise I'd have to wait til Jan 2014 for the mass paperback edition.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
Finally done! I can't read for hours like I did when I was younger, I fall asleep anymore, took forever to finish that book. Anyway I agree with everyone else, it was a good book and a fitting end to the series.

Lazarus
Slavin Away
Premium Member
Dickinson, ND

Lazarus

Premium Member

Kinda wish there would be follow up to that but...it was a good end.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by Lazarus:

Theres always Fan Fiction. - But yeah not the same as having the WoT universe being further explored and set out by the Late Robert Jordan, or even Brandon Sanderson himself.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic to Lazarus

Premium Member

to Lazarus
said by Lazarus:

I think the series was overlong as it is. Was it 14 books at the end, each around 1,000 pages long? I'm good.The plot moved so slowly there around the end of RJ's run. Right around book 9 I felt like if I had to read about one more Aes Sedai pulling on a braid I was gonna kill somebody. Of course I read books 1-10 in a row when I discovered them so maybe that had something to do with it. Sanderson got the pace going again at a nice clip and did an excellent job wrapping things up, IMO.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by TheBionic:

Was it 14 books at the end, each around 1,000 pages long?

15 if one counts New Spring (which one should). Only one actually reached 1,000 pages, though a few others got close. Long, but, still, I'd be happy to see a few more books from Sanderson derived from Jordan's notes and/or his own ideas, just not another long series. I mean, the wheel never stops turning...

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown

Premium Member

I think Sanderson has some awesome material to work with for future series (which we'll define as 3 to 4 books long lol)

edit to add that Sanderson said on his blog that he will not be doing further WOT related novels.