spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Dominnanaimo
join:2013-01-08
Nanaimo, BC

1 edit

Dominnanaimo

Shaw no support new Super HD from Netflix, boo!

I'm disappointed that Shaw isn't working with Netflix to deliver Super HD via its free open connect program for ISPs see: netflix.com/superhd

It's worse because TELUS is mentioned as being a partner. It makes me think I've made a mistake getting Internet from Shaw if they are not keeping up with up technology and undermining customers for competitive reasons.

Reliability of my connection has also deteriorated in recent months. This saddens me as I've always been a happy Shaw customer. For the first time, I'm looking at TELUS.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

What is the "Open Connect Network" and why would Netflix make it a requirement.
? It says you only need 5mbps for SuperHD (which is pretty much most Shaw packages). Why didn't they just make it another quality setting when you login?

It seems to me that Netflix has made an unnecessary hoop for ISPs to jump through?
fender
join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC

fender to Dominnanaimo

to Dominnanaimo
I don't have intimate knowledge of the situation but I would suspect that the Open Connect Network is a peering agreement with providers.

Essentially at peering locations (Major telecommunication hubs) providers will make direct connections with provider networks.

Amazon, Google, Facebook, Netflix -- all companies make these peering agreements with each other where they can share data traffic across their networks without incurring the additional cost of involving a third party transit provider.

It improves the quality of service for the ISP's customers and lowers their cost to provide content.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

What is the "Open Connect Network" and why would Netflix make it a requirement.

Based on this page »signup.netflix.com/openconnect
quote:
ISPs can directly connect their networks to Open Connect for free. ISPs can do this either by free peering with us at common Internet exchanges, or can save even more transit costs by putting our free storage appliances in or near their network.
It sounds like the requirement is that the ISP has to either

1) Agree to peer with network for free.
2) Agree to mirror for netflix for free.

Its about Netflix saving costs on bandwidth.
fender
Vancouver, BC

fender

It saves both parties money. This type of agreement is as old as consumer broadband.

They aren't usually monetary in nature. It's more of a barter.

More reading if you're interested.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peering

amrod_69
@shawcable.net

amrod_69

Anon

»twitter.com/Shawhelp/sta ··· 84809728

They replied to my question about it...
@amrod_69 We don't currently have any information to share regarding this, We will let you know when we do. ^PG
komal
join:2003-02-16

komal to Dominnanaimo

to Dominnanaimo
This isn't in the best interests of some ISPs as they lose traffic coming in which may mean less revenue or a more unbalanced relationship with peering partners.

For other ISPs who suffer too much congestion, this is beneficial because it can improve connection quality during peak times.

The name and branding is pure stupidity, I had to go through a few sites to find out that all this is, is 1080p and 3D streaming. 1080p Streaming is nice enough but I don't know anybody who uses a 3D TV.

Honestly, I doubt anybody will really care about this offering or bother actually telling their ISP to support Netflix.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by komal:

For other ISPs who suffer too much congestion, this is beneficial because it can improve connection quality during peak times.

Isn't congestion usually at the node level? IE the peering in the background would only save the isp whatever their wholesale bandwidth rates are? As far as distribution they would still be sending all the data through the nodes to the customers, and thus still run into congested node problems?
familypizza
join:2013-01-07

familypizza

congestion can be at any point between you, and the IP you are getting content from... For the most part this depends on the infrastructure of your ISP.. both their long haul links and at the node level.

The congestion can also be outside of the reach of your ISP... like how my netflix performance (everything else is awesome) during the evening is junk, but next AM it's awesome.

Having fewer hops and a better route to netflix would benefit any customer who uses the service (not just those with the ability to use the new 3D)

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Dominnanaimo

Premium Member

to Dominnanaimo
Everything I see, seems to be about saving Netflix money.

Peer with the bigger ISPs, so that Netflix doesn't have to pay transit moving their data - and this won't necessarly help with poor quality due to poor speeds/congestion.

I'm courious how Netflix got into the Peering centers, and how many HD streaming customers it will take to saturate their connection.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

I can see why it would be unfair for Shaw to degrade a competing video product. That is obvious. I'm not sure what the financial incentive would be for them to help improve netflix? :P

amrod_69
@shawcable.net

amrod_69

Anon

»signup.netflix.com/superhd

Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!
Your Internet Provider is part of the Open Connect network, a free partnership with Netflix. Netflix will automatically play movies and TV shows in Super HD on a supported device if your connection is fast enough.

Sometimes it says this other times it says not supported

Branflakes
@74.198.150.x

Branflakes to Dominnanaimo

Anon

to Dominnanaimo
said by Dominnanaimo:

It's worse because TELUS is mentioned as being a partner.

Not sure if you know but Telus VOD title library is like less that one tenth of Shaw's and its even worse if you look at the ratio on HD titles offered. TELUS STB's aren't even 1080P capable and HDMI not officially supported. Hence why it would make sense for a company that has serious content limitations to look at something like this. Then again the Netflix "super" content can really still be counted by fingers but would obviously grow in time. I'd be more scared that Telus knows streaming Super HD Netflix is going to eat 5-6 times the bandwidth usage a current Netflix HD stream does coupled with them slashing bandwidth caps the $$$ signs must be an additional main reason for business profits.
familypizza
join:2013-01-07

familypizza to amrod_69

to amrod_69
you using regular shaw dns?

amrod_69
@shawcable.net

amrod_69

Anon

Am using unblock-us
fender
Vancouver, BC

fender to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

I'm courious how Netflix got into the Peering centers, and how many HD streaming customers it will take to saturate their connection.

Because Netflix traffic is a considerable and measurable percentage of overall traffic.

Peering makes sense for all parties involved.

»www.sandvine.com/news/pr ··· p?ID=394

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8 to Branflakes

to Branflakes
What department do you work for in shaw?
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to fender

to fender
said by fender:

said by kevinds:

Because Netflix traffic is a considerable and measurable percentage of overall traffic.

Peering makes sense for all parties involved.

»www.sandvine.com/news/pr ··· p?ID=394

It depends on your point of view. Why would a cableco want to make it easier for people to use an alternative video service? It's supporting the competition? I'm not surprised shaw isn't in a rush to support it. Let's spend extra many to setup this infrastructure to make netflix better so people have an even bigger reason not to use our cable services... lol
fender
Vancouver, BC

fender

Because people are going to use it anyway -- so why not eliminate the transit costs and lower the overall cost of doing business while raising the monthly rates every 6 months for the end user?

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to fender

Premium Member

to fender
Yes, but I wasn't aware that Netflix had their own fiber network, this was the first I've heard of it.
fender
Vancouver, BC

fender

Tons of them have their own fiber. Facebook even bought dark fiber and lit it. Google popularized that activity.
xtachx
join:2005-11-19
canada

xtachx to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

It depends on your point of view. Why would a cableco want to make it easier for people to use an alternative video service? It's supporting the competition? I'm not surprised shaw isn't in a rush to support it. Let's spend extra many to setup this infrastructure to make netflix better so people have an even bigger reason not to use our cable services... lol

Shaw doesnt care. You have to take cable from them anyways to get their Internet. They got their share already.

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy

Anon

said by xtachx:

...You have to take cable from them anyways to get their Internet...

Actually, no. I have Shaw internet at home without any Cable TV service. You don't even have to do anything special, just sign up for internet...that's it. If you don't ask for TV you don't get TV.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to fender

Premium Member

to fender
I wasn't aware that Netflix had their own fiber, but that would be how they got in the peering centers... I admit I don't follow that company as closely as some others.

My first thought was they added a content mirror into the peering centers.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to xtachx

to xtachx
said by xtachx:

said by zod5000:

Shaw doesnt care. You have to take cable from them anyways to get their Internet. They got their share already.

That was my point (and I do think cableco's would care). This would save them pennies a gig (they still have to use their infrastructure to deliver, but it would save them the bulk bandwidth internet costs). What's that going to save shaw on average? 10 bux a month for netflix customers? Do you think they'd rather have your 50-60 dollars cable subscription or save 10 bux on bulk bandwidth? hmmm....

The last thing Shaw wants is people to only subscribe for internet.. lol.

edit: ok 2nd last thing. the last thing they'd want is for you to not use any of their services.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by zod5000:

That was my point (and I do think cableco's would care). This would save them pennies a gig (they still have to use their infrastructure to deliver, but it would save them the bulk bandwidth internet costs). What's that going to save shaw on average? 10 bux a month for netflix customers? Do you think they'd rather have your 50-60 dollars cable subscription or save 10 bux on bulk bandwidth? hmmm....

The last thing Shaw wants is people to only subscribe for internet.. lol.

edit: ok 2nd last thing. the last thing they'd want is for you to not use any of their services.

People will do that anyway. This doesn't make it any "easier". They can choose to be stupid and not take advantage of a cost cutting measure or do so and make a smart business decision.

Also its a lot more than 10 bucks a month on bulk bandwidth. They're consuming at least a few 10Gb links worth of bandwidth for Netflix alone.

34764170 (banned) to Branflakes

to Branflakes
said by Branflakes :

I'd be more scared that Telus knows streaming Super HD Netflix is going to eat 5-6 times the bandwidth usage a current Netflix HD stream does coupled with them slashing bandwidth caps the $$$ signs must be an additional main reason for business profits.

Super HD streams at best consume 2 times the bandwidth, not 5-6 times.

34764170 (banned) to kevinds

to kevinds
said by kevinds:

Everything I see, seems to be about saving Netflix money.

Peer with the bigger ISPs, so that Netflix doesn't have to pay transit moving their data - and this won't necessarly help with poor quality due to poor speeds/congestion.

It's about saving both sides money. Reducing the amount of transit required for the ISPs is reducing their cost of delivering those bits to the customer.

Netflix will peer with and/or provide the caching appliances to anyone that is able to peer with them at the appropriate locations and meets certain minimum traffic levels. It depends on where the speed/congestion issues are.

They got into the Internet exchanges just as every other ISP/hosting provider/service provider/CDN does. It's not as if there is a fixed limit to the amount of bandwidth they have. Just like everyone else they monitor their links and upgrade well in advance of the links being saturated.

34764170 (banned) to komal

to komal
said by komal:

This isn't in the best interests of some ISPs as they lose traffic coming in which may mean less revenue or a more unbalanced relationship with peering partners.

Honestly, I doubt anybody will really care about this offering or bother actually telling their ISP to support Netflix.

Most ISPs will be all over this and this isn't exactly new. They've had their own CDN running for awhile now and it's very beneficial for most providers.

Honestly, then you're clueless.
Expand your moderator at work