spc
Search similar:

uniqs
HackneyB
join:2013-01-08
Canada

HackneyB

[Internet] DSL modem "buyout" option

When switching internet packages with Bell I complained about the monthly modem rental fee that I've been paying for many years and was offered an option to pay $49.95 to stop the monthly payments. Bell would still own the modem and warranty it but the monthly payments would stop permanently.

Is anyone aware of this new option? Sounds worth it to me, even if they are making me pay $50 while I've spent $350 or so on modems (had three) over the last 8-10 years.

Payback time one year..

Thoughts?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

It's not a new option at this point. They switched to "one time rental fee" for modems over a year ago IIRC.

You just got caught in the "we won't tell existing customers about this unless they call us" approach.
HackneyB
join:2013-01-08
Canada

HackneyB

OK, thanks for that .. it seemed relatively new because all the searching I've done in the last week suggested everyone thinks monthly rental fees are mandatory.

If that's the case, every Bell customer should be throwing themselves at this option if you plan to be a customer for more than 12 months.
kovy7
join:2009-03-26

kovy7 to HackneyB

to HackneyB
It's been atleast a year...

Are you sure you're not searching wholesales (other ISP such as Teksavvy) which is still mandatory for VDSL2 speed.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep to HackneyB

Premium Member

to HackneyB
When I switched to the one time rental fee of $49.95 in October 2011, I also got a credit for the $49.95; making my modem rental $0.00.

It wouldn't hurt to ask.

The 2Wire was $49.95 and the Sagemcom was $99.95.

Rick
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to HackneyB

to HackneyB
said by HackneyB:

OK, thanks for that .. it seemed relatively new because all the searching I've done in the last week suggested everyone thinks monthly rental fees are mandatory.

The rental is mandatory, but they refer to the one time payment as a rental as well.
netgear3700
join:2009-10-02
toronto,ON

netgear3700 to kovy7

to kovy7
said by kovy7:

It's been atleast a year...

Are you sure you're not searching wholesales (other ISP such as Teksavvy) which is still mandatory for VDSL2 speed.

»www.ciktel.com/Main/Eng/ ··· /DSL.asp
CIK is not mandatory.