uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Amazon Prime coming to Canada; 2 day free shipping

Amazon Prime is coming to Canada with 2 day free shipping. But it won't include the Amazon Prime free Instant Video the US gets.

»www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/385033···n-canada

Amazon Prime is finally available in Canada. For $79 a year, plus taxes, Canadians will receive free two-day shipping on eligible items destined for "most cities" in the country, with no minimum purchase. According to the company, "millions" of its products will be available as part of the deal, and to entice users Amazon is offering a one-month free trial (though the trial isn't available to users in Quebec).

Canadian version of Prime won't include certain services available to those in the US, including Kindle ebook lending and film and TV streaming through Instant Video. Speaking to the Canadian Press, Amazon.ca's Steve Oliver said that there are currently no plans to bring these services north of the border.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

It might be good if you deal with them a lot and live somewhere it takes a long time to get to. I always take the free option and I don't think it ever takes more than a day to get here. They used to try and hold it a couple of days 'to pack' but the last couple of times they didn't even do that.

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON

That's because most everything comes from UPS SCS in Concord or from Amazon's warehouse in Mississauga. Most people in Southern Ontario are lucky enough to have the Super Saver Shipping or Standard Shipping arrive next-day or two-day anyways.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

So what you are saying is that for 79 bucks you get basically nothing.

squircle

Oakville, ON

Between London and Kingston, basically nothing.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Thane_Bitter

said by Thane_Bitter:

So what you are saying is that for 79 bucks you get basically nothing.

No, you get unlimited 2-day shipping for a year (where 2-day is viable).
It means that you can order inexpensive stuff when you want to rather than waiting to bulk up an order.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20

Meh, without the other perks you would have to do a sizeable amount of shopping to make it worth it. But on the flip side, someone who did opt for the service would certainly be more inclined to shop more frequently.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to FFH

It would be a better business decision to allow Canadians to buy from amazon.com instead of the (comparatively) lackluster .ca offerings.
--
~ Project Hope ~

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

said by EUS:

It would be a better business decision to allow Canadians to buy from amazon.com instead of the (comparatively) lackluster .ca offerings.

I buy from Amazon.com all the time. I always compare prices between .com and .ca and buy from the cheapest.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms

Everything I try to purchase from .com leads me to a error page message stating that I cannot order from a Canadian address, and to use .ca, of course the .ca never has what I want to buy.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

You can, and I have certainly bought books from .com that were not available from .ca, with no problems. The exceptions -- the "cannot be shipped outside USA" stuff -- I believe is generally stuff that is drop-shipped from third parties.

But this business of shipping charges and now the "Amazon Prime" thing is ridiculous. If Dell can ship me a $10 flash drive or $5 cable by next-day Purolator free of charge, then Jeff Bezos should be able to get off his ass and do the same.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

That's because most everything comes from UPS SCS in Concord or from Amazon's warehouse in Mississauga. Most people in Southern Ontario are lucky enough to have the Super Saver Shipping or Standard Shipping arrive next-day or two-day anyways.

interesting factoid.

one of the companies we work with makes book binding machines (used to make books)...Amazon is one of their customers...most books that Amazon sells are "made to order" and are often not inventoried (inventory costs money)...high volume top selling books are printed in batches, and some is kept in stock, but many of the titles are actually made when it is ordered.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

squircle

Oakville, ON
reply to EUS

You'll see on the Amazon.com page under the product description whether the item in question can be shipped outside the 'States or not. Generally, most items that are actually sold by Amazon.com (with the exception of many electronics) will ship to Canada. I order way more from Amazon.com than Amazon.ca.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

I must be a very unlucky individual.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by squircle:

interesting factoid.

one of the companies we work with makes book binding machines (used to make books)...Amazon is one of their customers...most books that Amazon sells are "made to order" and are often not inventoried (inventory costs money)...high volume top selling books are printed in batches, and some is kept in stock, but many of the titles are actually made when it is ordered.

This is known as POD, print on demand

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

exactly, and while i haven't been to a printing facility myself, our items are used in a large variety of printing machines as well (not the printers on your desk at home or office, these would be large industrial printers).

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to FFH

What an impatient world we live in where people can't wait a few days for some electronic trinket to arrive. Unless it is some component to repair some necessary item like your furnace or such people should back off the OCD like behaviour in life.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to FFH

Anything I order from amazon.ca is always next day for me... and they need a much better selection. Current amazon.ca is a joke 90% of the time.

And I really don't think a lot of people in Canada will want to pay for that with the current selection.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to squircle

said by squircle:

Well yes for the most part, DVDs, CDs, books etc come from there but I have had quite a few other items come from BC and other areas in the west. So depends what you buy I guess. Also if you buy a lot of smaller items that don't meet the minimum $25 subtotal for free shipping you still get free shipping with Prime.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
reply to Wolfie00

said by Wolfie00:

But this business of shipping charges and now the "Amazon Prime" thing is ridiculous. If Dell can ship me a $10 flash drive or $5 cable by next-day Purolator free of charge, then Jeff Bezos should be able to get off his ass and do the same.

Well the margins are higher considering some of the markups. HINT: the $900 monitors cost nowhere near that amount. So some of the items in Dell's case are also making up some of the shipping costs.

But the real reason is, Amazon has so many customers who buy frequently from them so they can take advantage of that and have everyone pay for their shipping and an additional markup simply because of the convenience.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to FFH

Re: Amazon Prime FU Canada; 2 day free shipping

The offer is a slap in the face.
If it came in at $49 or so reflecting the lack of services compared to those down south, it wouldnt appear to be so brazenly rude and disrespectful. I did not know about amazon.com either, like EUS i have always hit, the not to Canada stop button.