dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Reyr

to Reyr

Re: Fios Media Server

Am I the only one that believes Verizon will follow the same rollout procedure as the Dish Hopper and Directv Genie, in which only new users were able to order them?

Fingers crossed that Im wrong....

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

That would really suck. I hope current customers can get them when they arrive, and not just for new customers. I might have to cancel FiOS, and reup then , if it comes to that.

But anyway, does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have, like me who have 3, will be compatible with the new VMS1100 Media Server and IPC1100 IP STBs? Since they do not have a guide etc, (to me they should be compatible, and I know regular STBS are not, and would have to be swapped out.)

Also, do you think a tech will have to come out and install these new VMS and IPC boxes bc they are a new different technology, respectively, then the current boxes that I just added and swapped boxes myself with relatively easy labor. Or do you think it will be just as easy as swapping current STBs and HMDVRs with these new ones?

One more thng. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes over the current STB price (ex: 20 bucks for HMDVR= same price for Media Server. Current HDSTB at 5.99 = same price for new IPC small STBs. ) Can I believe this to be true of the pricing ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

no existing box will work and a tech most certainly has to come out. no pricing announced yet.
said by Webcobbler :

That would really suck. I hope current customers can get them when they arrive, and not just for new customers. I might have to cancel FiOS, and reup then , if it comes to that.

But anyway, does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have, like me who have 3, will be compatible with the new VMS1100 Media Server and IPC1100 IP STBs? Since they do not have a guide etc, (to me they should be compatible, and I know regular STBS are not, and would have to be swapped out.)

Also, do you think a tech will have to come out and install these new VMS and IPC boxes bc they are a new different technology, respectively, then the current boxes that I just added and swapped boxes myself with relatively easy labor. Or do you think it will be just as easy as swapping current STBs and HMDVRs with these new ones?

One more thng. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes over the current STB price (ex: 20 bucks for HMDVR= same price for Media Server. Current HDSTB at 5.99 = same price for new IPC small STBs. ) Can I believe this to be true of the pricing ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Webcobbler

MVM

to Webcobbler
said by Webcobbler :

does anyone know IF the DCT700 Digital Adapters that FiOS customers have will be compatible

Compatible in which sense?
•If you mean, will they continue to receive QAM channels from then ONT, then I would see no reason why they would not continue to operate.
•If you mean, would they interoperate with the VMS, then no. The DCT-700s have no IP capability.
said by Webcobbler :

One more thing. I assume that the prices will not change for these new boxes

I certainly wouldn't make that assumption. I can see this going for a significant premium, but we won't know for sure until VZ announces pricing.

As convenient as this may sound, I don't know that I'd be willing to downgrade from 2.5TB to just 1TB. 6 tuners will fill 1TB very quickly. Let the whining for an external drive begin.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to Webcobbler

to Webcobbler
I'm sure current customers will be able to get it. I can't remember an instance when a new product verizon fios has had that could only be had for new customers.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Timothy28:

I can't remember an instance when a new product verizon fios has had that could only be had for new customers.

You forget the rev. G and rev. I routers. They were available initially only for new customers.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to More Fiber

MVM

to More Fiber
VMS will have eSATA support for DVR expansion.....
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

Well that solves the issue of those concerned about it only having a 1TB drive.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
More Fiber,

I mean will the Digital Adapters still work In terms of getting channels on them and the way they work, as they do now, IF I have these new VMS and IPC STBs installed. Or will I NEED to exchange them for these new STBs?
Timothy28
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by Timothy28:

I can't remember an instance when a new product verizon fios has had that could only be had for new customers.

You forget the rev. G and rev. I routers. They were available initially only for new customers.

For how long? That must've been during the 2 years i was away from FIOS. I still think something like this will be available to all at the same time. I remember when they had the newer 7xxx DVR's. Those were available to everyone at the same time.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler to Webcobbler

Anon

to Webcobbler
I am asking this because my 3 Digital Adapters are FREE bc I am Grandfathered into it due to i was a FiOS customer when they first distributed the Digital Adapters for SD TVs. I currently have them all hooked up to HDTVs, bc at the time I did have SD sets, but do not anymore.

Basically, if they are still able to operate with the new boxes coming out, I will not exchange them .... Unless I absolutely have to, bc then I would pay for 3 boxes I hardly ever watch. The 3 Adapters are in the basement, an empty room upstairs, and my kitchen.