uniqs
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: Water heater question

I don't know that it's a good idea to open the drain valve on a 10 year-old water heater. He might never get it closed.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

If it closes, flushing it might help his situation.
If it doesn't, the landlord replaces the faulty water heater.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 edit

tschmidt to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

He might never get it closed.

Guarantee it will leak after he flushes the tank. Have a supply of hose caps to seal it.

/tom

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

If it closes, flushing it might help his situation.
If it doesn't, the landlord replaces the faulty water heater.

The current water heater was installed by the previous landlord before the building was sold to the current owner. One good thing about the current owner is she is okay with cats. The previous owner was slightly better with repairs (installed the energy saver water heater) but had a no pets policy (hide the cat in the closet when the landlord comes). If the current landlord were to replace the water heater, we'd get some cheap energy hog. I was looking at water heaters at Sears and the operating costs on the energy guides varied. Some cost over $500 a year to operate (based on average utility rates and our area has higher than average utility rates) and some (like the GE GeoSpring) were cheap to operate. No matter who pays the cost of installing a new tank, it will ultimately be myself paying the costs of operate it (and trust me, my electric bills are NOT cheap).

As for pets, we are responsible pet owners (current cat is a neutered tomcat) but there are a lot of tenants that are irresponsible such as filthy litter boxes (and the cat does it's business elsewhere), keeping intact animals (male cats spraying/female cats multiplying), vicious dogs posing liability issues, etc.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by IowaCowboy:

If the current landlord were to replace the water heater, we'd get some cheap energy hog. I was looking at water heaters at Sears and the operating costs on the energy guides varied. Some cost over $500 a year to operate (based on average utility rates and our area has higher than average utility rates) and some (like the GE GeoSpring) were cheap to operate. No matter who pays the cost of installing a new tank, it will ultimately be myself paying the costs of operate it (and trust me, my electric bills are NOT cheap).

If you read the fine print on the GE heat pump water heter, their claimed energy savings are at a temp of 68 degrees. If its located in a basement that is unheated, it may be under that in the winter. I that's the case you would be running the heat pump part longer and using the elements more so your savings will be much less. They also pump cool air into the room they are in so you may need to add additional heating if the area is a living space. I think they would work great in a warmer climate where there is plenty of latent heat to transfer to the hot water but in the Northeast it may be a wash.

Your best bet would be to get a relatively efficient unit (all electrics are about the same) and wrap it with a hot water heater blanket. That would make it more efficient and be relatively low cost.