spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dingobabel

join:2012-05-30

Is it possible to setup a free voip home system?

I understand the basics of voip, linux, read the faq here.
What would it take to setup a completely free voip for home?
I have been looking over voip info for years, sick of being nickel and dimed, and would really like to set one up. I'm not familiar with using any of the software, but I'm technically capable of learning.
Is it as simple as setting up asterisk on a server, or something like
pbxinaflash?

A host server with plenty of bandwidth would already be available.

At least be able to receive inbound calls from landlines.
Part of this need would be how to get a phone number?

Outbound to landlines would not be necessary.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by dingobabel:

I understand the basics of voip, linux, read the faq here.
What would it take to setup a completely free voip for home?
I have been looking over voip info for years, sick of being nickel and dimed, and would really like to set one up. I'm not familiar with using any of the software, but I'm technically capable of learning.
Is it as simple as setting up asterisk on a server, or something like
pbxinaflash?

A host server with plenty of bandwidth would already be available.

At least be able to receive inbound calls from landlines.
Part of this need would be how to get a phone number?

Outbound to landlines would not be necessary.

Yes, it is possible to get incoming calls from the PSTN without a monthly cost. Callcentric currently offers free phone numbers with a NY area code. You do not need to run your own PBX server.

As far as hardware, you can simply get an ATA (such as an OBi100) or an IP phone.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
It is possible to do... pretty much free...

But honestly, what you can do for 10$ is much nicer.

Getting an ATA, and a decent VOIP provider (CallCentric, Future9, etc.) will be very inexpensive and easy.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
The OP didn't ask if he could buy cheap service — he asked if it was possible to get free service. And of course, it is, at least for the time being. Assuming that one understands that they will not be able to call 911 using this method, the easiest way is to get an Obihai device (probably the OBi100 for a single line or the OBi202 for two lines) and a Google Voice account (or two, if using the OBi202 and you want two different accounts). The Obihai device is not free, but Google Voice is free for incoming calls, and also for outgoing calls in the USA and Canada, but as I said you can't use it to call 911 or any other three-digit service code number. And Google has said the service will remain free for yet another year, through the end of 2013 at least. Now cue the "safety nannies", who will squawk about how dangerous it is to not have 911 (which you cannot get for free) in 3...2...1...

(And if case the OP decides to actually do this, I will note that you should first create a brand new Gmail account that you won't use for "normal" mail, or if you have an existing Gmail account you don't use anymore you can use that. When you are logged into that new Gmail account, then go to voice.google.com and create your new Google Voice account. That way, you won't have the problem of not being able to receive incoming calls while you are online reading your e-mail).

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to dingobabel
If you are willing to receive calls on your computer (rather than on a telephone), just set up a Google Voice account, make at least one call from Gmail, then set GV to forward calls to "Google Chat".

To create the GV account, you'll need a real phone number, e.g. your cell phone. Once set up, you can choose whether incoming calls will also ring that phone.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to dingobabel
If you already have the computer equipment you can set up the Asterisk server for free. You'll then have to add either an IP phone, or a softphone (and a headset), or an analog adapter (ATA) for an analog phone. As of now you can add Google Voice lines for free (which access PSTN incoming and outgoing).

But, as someone else mentioned, you don't even have to have an Asterisk server. Just get an OBi100 and use it with Google Voice. It will be free except for the cost of the OBi adapter.

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to Stewart
said by Stewart:

If you are willing to receive calls on your computer (rather than on a telephone), just set up a Google Voice account, make at least one call from Gmail, then set GV to forward calls to "Google Chat".

To create the GV account, you'll need a real phone number, e.g. your cell phone. Once set up, you can choose whether incoming calls will also ring that phone.

The OP does not need to receive calls on the computer!! You can get an Obihai 100 ATA for $39 from Amazon (»www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-···bihai100)
and connect it to the regular phones you have now. For 2013 at least, your telephone calls to/from North America will be free. If the OP wants to order a paid voip service from the providers people are talking about, the Obi 100 will do the job nicely.
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to dingobabel
OBi 110 frequently on sale for $39 and it gives PSTN plus Google Voice connectibility.
Almost any ATA will work with a personal PBX or a VoIP provider and sometimes both at the same time, too.

tbrummell2

join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

reply to dingobabel
Did he mention 'free'?

Completely free, if you have an old pc laying around.

Asterisk based PBX in a Flash.
A Google Voice account or two
A minimum of 1 softphone.

Completely free US based DID with unlimited calls to North America. No 911 access though.

Aside from electricity...did I mention that was totally free?

AllThumbs

join:2006-02-07
Pawleys Island, SC

1 recommendation

Lots of free VoIP alternatives ticked off in the Nerd Vittles VoIP Quick Start Guide today.

toro

join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bell Sympatico
reply to dingobabel
Don't you love these threads where someone throws in a question, never bothers to come back to see the replies, and everyone is scrambling for days trying to answer it from different angles ?
--
Providers (through asterisk): voip.ms, freephoneline, smartcall.ro. Hardware: Vonage VDV21, Moto VT2x42, Linksys SPA series, Grandstream HT series, Panasonic KX-TGP5x0
»www.voipfan.net

dingobabel

join:2012-05-30
said by toro:

Don't you love these threads where someone throws in a question, never bothers to come back to see the replies, and everyone is scrambling for days trying to answer it from different angles ?

Definitely not the intention, but you get a 'zing' anyways. I'm surprised this isn't a common question.

For the setup, would rather avoid google voice if possible.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
said by dingobabel:

That's the problem, then. Free incoming is pretty easy, as long as you're not fussy about the area code. Callcentric has free New York lines they'll SIP-forward to your device. I just don't know anyone other than Google who will provide free outbound service.

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by garys_2k:

said by dingobabel:

That's the problem, then. Free incoming is pretty easy, as long as you're not fussy about the area code. Callcentric has free New York lines they'll SIP-forward to your device. I just don't know anyone other than Google who will provide free outbound service.

Yep, free SIP calls only. Any calls through the PSTN are going to cost somebody money. Google can absorb it because they're Google and they have other objects (advertising, supporting other services) in mind. But folks, whose business is only providing VoIP, can not survive giving their product away free. Though, at a penny a minute that some of these people charge, it's almost free.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Exactly, Google has money coming out their arse so letting people make calls for free as a data gathering tool is just fine. Nobody could survive on that as their main line of work.