share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to leibold

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by leibold:

The Internet fridge (depending on how it is being used) might be more bandwidth intensive (and hence wifi the more logical choice) then typical home automation tasks (sensors and controls).

Yeah but we're talking about 1kb vs 50kb (depending on the level of useless junk is sent in between). Yet we're bashing WiFi because it can only do 8mbps in heavy traffic areas vs 1gbps wired. That 8mbps is gargantuous for any remote automation products.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

The "high bandwidth" example I was thinking off was the case of watching a cooking show and following along in your own kitchen (or even just using it as a TV in general to follow that "must watch immediately" show while preparing a meal).
You might want a bit more then 50kbps for that but 1Mbps would certainly be enough for a quality video stream that lets you read the ingredients list clearly.

Not much bandwidth is needed for maintaining a fridge inventory even if you add online shopping to refill it.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

said by leibold:

The "high bandwidth" example I was thinking off was the case of watching a cooking show and following along in your own kitchen (or even just using it as a TV in general to follow that "must watch immediately" show while preparing a meal).

oh that...

well who knows if its heading that way, but I doubt it considering the trend is that everyone has a tablet (which can do a better job).