Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

Siemens panel interlock kit

I'm looking for an interlock for a Siemens 100A main-breaker panel...

I've tried the usual suspects (local supply houses, interlockkit.com) with no success...

Panel is a model# SEQ32100sm - 100A main breaker panel, 32/64 space config...

Anyone got suggestions for someplace else to try?

Plan B is a seperate generator sub-panel, but I'd rather not go there, if I could avoid it...

Pics are attached.

Overall panel

1 1/4

1/2

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

Have you looked at Kit K-1410 from interlockkit?
It isn't the same image as your current panel, but the idea is that the main breaker would interlock with the opposite side row of breakers. You might have to remove the first breaker in that line though.

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan

I've looked at it - main difference is it's meant for a panel with a single-handle main breaker, not a dual-handled main... The other spacings look like they'd work, though.

I sent an email to interlockkits.com asking if it would be suitable; but they haven't replied yet.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Yeah I was gonna post this:

Maybe you can buy a new main breaker that is single handle (if they are interchangeable).

edit - im looking at that kit right now (the kit itself) and it looks like even if it could fit, you'd also lose a bunch of breakers under the main breaker.

»www.interlockkitstore.com/Produc···e=K-1410

Zorack

join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV
reply to LazMan

He's got a 100a breaker panel,wouldn't he need to upgrade to 200a panel?
--
Matt Barlow Rules! Bring him back to Iced Earth! \m/

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to LazMan

ECSBPK04 is the Siemens interlock kit according to here.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by cdru:

ECSBPK04 is the Siemens interlock kit according to here.

Doesn't look like it would fit at all.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by alkizmo:

Doesn't look like it would fit at all.

I know. I thought the same thing too. I found another reference that refers to it in a non-Siemens reference here. The OP at that link appears to be a mod so possibly joining and sending a message to him might yield a confirmation or not.

I think part of why it doesn't look right is because it appears offset. I think that is a result of the main breakers having a different orientation from the rest of the breakers? If you look here there is a top down view you can see that there it's a little more aligned then the other picture looks.

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting
reply to LazMan

I've never understood why Canadians install their panels sideways.

I don't think they make an interlock kit for that beast. None of the US kits will fit it.
You'll probably have to get a manual transfer switch or one of those silly "pigtail panels".
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

LazMan
Premium
canada

1 edit

said by nunya:

I don't think they make an interlock kit for that beast. None of the US kits will fit it.
You'll probably have to get a manual transfer switch or one of those silly "pigtail panels".

Because we have to have an internal divider between the main breaker and the load breakers, we can't run from the "top" down - it just makes it way easier to spin the panel 90 degrees, and enter from the "side".

A custom interlock is about 350 bucks - a stand-alone generator sub-panel (not a pig-tail panel, but an actual 12 position, 60A sub panel with a factory interlock) is about 200... So I think I know what way I'll be going...

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

These things are a little sketchy but would get the job done:

»www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com···102.html

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

1 recommendation

reply to nunya

said by nunya:

For the same reason they have bagged milk, hydro poles, and hockey fans.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

Stupid me. I just thought the picture was sideways.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

said by dosdoxies:

said by nunya:

Stupid me. I just thought the picture was sideways.

You aren't the only one.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Oedipus

said by nunya:

I don't think it's a Canadian thing...... hmmmm
As for his explanation as to why it's sideways, I don't agree, better have 100% of the knockouts on the sides than half at the bottom and half at the top. Nothing's cooler than a tentacle panel.

said by Oedipus:

For the same reason they have bagged milk, hydro poles, and hockey fans.

Milk bags
If you have kids at home, you'll LOVE the milk bags.
It's so much milk... IN A BAG!
You buy a bag of 3 bags of milk, that's 3x 2 CANADIAN liter of milk!
And the bags fit perfectly in those milk bag pitchers.

Hydro poles
We're just greener than you guys. You guys have nuclear and coal pole, yucky.

Hockey fans
You guys have football fans yet they don't get along with the rest of the world's football fans. Go figure

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting

I don't think it's a Canadian thing...... hmmmm
As for his explanation as to why it's sideways, I don't agree, better have 100% of the knockouts on the sides than half at the bottom and half at the top. Nothing's cooler than a tentacle panel.

His explanation makes perfectly good sense. I forgot about the "compartmental" panels they use up there. It also explains why the boxes look so sloppy with wire coming out the sides.

Here in the USA, it would be a code violation because the breaker handle must be "up" in the "on" position when mounted horizontally. 1/2 of the breakers would be wrong.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Hockey fans
You guys have football fans yet they don't get along with the rest of the world's football fans. Go figure

and out football fans root for teams with 1 more guy, bigger ball and bigger field!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to nunya

said by nunya:

His explanation makes perfectly good sense. I forgot about the "compartmental" panels they use up there. It also explains why the boxes look so sloppy with wire coming out the sides.

What I meant is that it's not typical, it's not a Canadian thing, and I feel it's still pretty odd.

All load centers (even my old 1960s fuse panel) are made so that it can be installed upside down.

So why install it sideways when you can either install it upside down, so that the compartment is at the bottom and you can have circuits come from above, or you install it right side up and have your circuits enter from the sides (the side of the breaker column to which it would connect).

Side ways makes it that you gotta have circuits circling around the panel to go under it to access the second side.

LazMan
Premium
canada

It's actually a very typical installation orientation... The problem with mounting a panel with the main breaker down can be height issues... There are min and max allowable heights. There also can be problems with breaker operation - horizontal disconnects are allowed, inverted are not, so if the breaker can't be spun, it's also non-compliant. This orientation (sideways) is very common in new homes around Ontario.

There's no need to wrap the circuits around the panel... I have 18 ko's per side on my panel; that's 36 15A circuits... That's more then enough for your average house.

No offence, but you have a pretty limited background in electrical, and live in the most strictly regulated Provence in the country... Legally, you're not allowed to do anything more then change a lightbulb dans la belle Provence.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

Im just saying: Not "Canadian" thing, and I find personally it less convenient than right side up with going from the sides.

Whatever I'm allowed to do in Quebec is another topic all together.

edit - For debate purposes on preference: Even if you have plenty of KO on one side, you'd have most/all your circuits entering from only one side instead of splitting 50/50 on each side, that doesn't leave a lot of volume space on the top side.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within

join:2005-01-20
reply to nunya

I think it’s a new thing, I loath the look of it as well. Given the spacing requirement rules it also means more of the floor is useless in front of it (not like that stops homeowners from piling crap in front of it anyways. )

telco_mtl

said by Thane_Bitter:

I think it’s a new thing, I loath the look of it as well. Given the spacing requirement rules it also means more of the floor is useless in front of it (not like that stops homeowners from piling crap in front of it anyways. )

Captain Unibrow on Holmes on Homes made mounting them sideways cool! personally i like em right side up!

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

Im just saying: Not "Canadian" thing, and I find personally it less convenient than right side up with going from the sides.

Whatever I'm allowed to do in Quebec is another topic all together.

edit - For debate purposes on preference: Even if you have plenty of KO on one side, you'd have most/all your circuits entering from only one side instead of splitting 50/50 on each side, that doesn't leave a lot of volume space on the top side.

Won't argue about your thoughts on convenience - the configuration is fairly common, and I find easy enough to work on - most modern panels have more then enough trough space to route conductors to where they need to go. I've worked on many, in vertical and horizontal configs, and never had a problem...

Not trying to start a thing with you here; all I meant was that your knowledge base is still developing, and that generally, PQ has a different set of rules then the rest of Canada... Plus the cheap hydro and common use of electric heat skews that experience a bit, too - what's common in Ontario or the west (the bulk of my experience) isn't necessarily represented in Quebec (where, for clarity's sake - I've done a handful of jobs, at most...)

Anyways - back to my original topic - looks like an interlock isn't going to be an option for me, so I'm going to have to install a sub-panel...

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by LazMan:

Not trying to start a thing with you here; all I meant was that your knowledge base is still developing, and that generally, PQ has a different set of rules then the rest of Canada...

True that rules are different here, probably why I havent seen a sideways panel (telco_mtl would be in position to answer that since he's a house inspector for purchases).

Preference is preference (You like coke, I like pepsi).
Though my experience is limited, I've pulled a lot of cables in my two panels (along with a lot of reorganization) and I favor entering through the KO closest to the desired breaker, which is typically from the sides).

said by LazMan:

Anyways - back to my original topic - looks like an interlock isn't going to be an option for me, so I'm going to have to install a sub-panel...

Too bad the transfer switch I bought isn't for sale anymore at home depot. It was fairly cheap (150$) and had 24 spaces, which would be plenty if you stick to essentials and a few luxuries.

This panel should do a good job
»www.homedepot.ca/product/60-amp-···m/992421

It's the biggest one there is (in terms of breaker space).

Look on the bright side, for every circuit you move to that transfer switch, you gain more room in your main panel

edit - You could go for a siemens to not have to buy new breakers, but they only have 6/12 circuits. Yuck.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to LazMan

Or, just get an whole new panel that can accept an interlock.

LazMan
Premium
canada

If I'm going to do a panel swap, I'd go straight to an ATS capable or equipped one... If I'm going to do that much work, I may as well set myself up for an auto-start gennie, you know?

I'm trying do this on the cheap; to be honest, and it's more then I'd like to spend.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by LazMan:

to be honest, and it's more then I'd like to spend.

The interlock kit would have been 150$ right up front.

But ya, with a transfer switch (200$) you gotta buy the breakers (there goes another 150$).

It's sad, for 200$ you can buy a small load center with 10-15 breakers in the box + main breakers. However, with a transfer switch, you get a smaller load center and no breakers! Just because it comes with 2 sets of main breakers and an interlock bracket!

telco_mtl

reply to alkizmo

ive seen a few sideways panels in retrofit situations, often its because they are replacing a small fuse panel with a larger 200amp panel and its easier to place it sideways for space considerations and keeping it off the floor.

as for your generator panel ive noticed home depot has pulled all their stablok panels. I picked up a QO generator panel with switched neutral for just over 200. not a crazy price

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by telco_mtl:

as for your generator panel ive noticed home depot has pulled all their stablok panels. I picked up a QO generator panel with switched neutral for just over 200. not a crazy price

That's what I was saying about it being cheaper (150$).
200$ is pretty good too, but the difference in price is 5 breakers :O

So who installed it for you?

telco_mtl

said by alkizmo:

said by telco_mtl:

That's what I was saying about it being cheaper (150$).
200$ is pretty good too, but the difference in price is 5 breakers :O

So who installed it for you?

its funny, it must have installed itself, since in my house all the things i wanted to power on the generator were actually close together at the front of the house so i put it in the furnace room, powering the furnace, the living room is above the furnace room so a lamp and TV are on it, and the fridge is about 15 feet from where i put the panel as well.