join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

New Intel 520 SSD how to maximize gaming performance with it

Finally got an SSD I got it on special on Saturday, and I finished migrating my Win7/Ubuntu install to it last night.

I have about 60 GBs of space on an 180 NTFS partition I made for my Windows install. Assuing I installed a game or two on the SSD (they're currently sitting on a 1.5 TB HDD) what kind of performance improvement would I see?

I have no gaming performance issues at the moment I'm just curious to see if it would be worth installing my GOG version of Witcher2 and see if I got better performance than on my HDD.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format

join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

Would a SSD even effect real time action in a game? I assumed that the only things quickened were starting the game and loading maps/zones.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to El Quintron

Grethor's correct. Games stored on SSDs benefit in the form of lightning-fast loading screens, but not so much in the FPS realm.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by Krisnatharok:

Grethor's correct. Games stored on SSDs benefit in the form of lightning-fast loading screens, but not so much in the FPS realm.

Good to know, I have no real complaints about game loading times so I think I'll skip it in this case.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to El Quintron

in game depends on how a game loads its assets.

If the game loads an entire map in its entirety than an SSD only helps load screens.

Some games do not load everything though, Usually more common with MMOs than single player games but sometimes assets are loaded in real time. once one leaves the area they initially loaded from.

However an SSD will have minimal issue there, Even a WD Raptor was pretty much instant in asset loading.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to El Quintron

Yep, put a game like WoW on there if you're looking for gaming performance.