Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4

1 recommendation

New laws keep employers out of worker social media accounts

NetworkWorld | January 04, 2013

quote:
Employers in Illinois and California cannot ask for usernames and passwords to the personal social media accounts of employees and job seekers under laws that took effect on Jan. 1. 2013.

Illinois Gov. Patrick Quinn in August signed legislation amending the State's 'Right to Privacy in the Workplace Act.'

California Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation adding the prohibitions to the State's Labor Code in September.

The two states join Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey and Delaware in implementing such privacy laws.

The state laws were prompted by privacy and worker advocates concerned that some employers were asking job seekers and employees for access to their personal social media accounts as a condition of hiring and employment.

In a report issued last year, the Council of State Governments said it had received several reports of people being asked to delete their social media accounts, 'friend' the human resources director and/or supply private login credentials to employers.
»www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0···512.html
--
»bit.ly/gUqYaH - C. Brian Smith: Think of the exclamation point as a car horn: a little goes a long way. Lay on it too hard and everyone’s going to think you’re a moron.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

2 recommendations

Good, as it should be, no right of access to such information. Of course, it is up to employee to be clever and know what can and can't be posted (and hopefully the employer will have guidelines to that effect)

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2012/13

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub
kudos:4
I totally agree with you Cudni See Profile.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Cudni
I told my wife just use Facebook like you would a postcard. Keep work out of it plus keep personal feelings out of it. Just use it for fun and post fun stuff that can never be used against you. Ok yes she posts we have a kid and some employers do not like that still couldn't keep a kid secret anyways for long. So just use common sense.
Plus always realize it is a postcard even with tight security. You see what friends of friends post. They post from work about work and whine. They post and some friends of friends are managers yet they still post.
They post why they did not show up for work too much fun the night before. Then give a different excuse to work. Yet now everybody already knew the truth.
The info I gave my wife was more what and what not to post and she thought it was dumb why would anyone do that. I gave less info on how to totally lock it down as would defeat facebook for her. Then after she was on it for awhile she again realized and odd people can be in what they do and would willing post. Some have no common sense.