how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

David Wong

join:2010-03-02
Chicago, IL

[IL] Chronic "fiber cuts" in Illinois

I started this thread last fall when we were averaging about one "fiber cut" every eight days:

»[IL] Three Outages in 3 Weeks in Southern IL? What's going on?

And they've just announced another one, says we'll be down 8 hours total. Is there anyone on the MediaCom side who can explain why this happens so frequently in this area?

Also, can somebody on that end explain why the support phone lines go down when it happens (you get a "This number cannot be completed as dialed" as soon as there's an outage).

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL

Looking at twitter it seems that it is a multi-state outage.

Why it happens? Who knows but my guess is that it isn't actually a fiber cut but some other failure and they say 'fiber cut' just like we say 'kleenx' when asking for a tissue.

The lines don't actually go down, if you listen to the calling error message all the way through (it'll play twice) it will play twice then you will hear the standard "Thank you for calling Mediacom..." message. They think it is better to make you think you misdialed the number instead of thinking you will be number 5000 waiting for the 3 CSR's handling calls.

Either way it goes can't wait for Clearwave to finish up the fiber install so that 3rd parties can start selling it. Bonded DSL from Frontier is available to me already.

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to David Wong

"Also, can somebody on that end explain why the support phone lines go down when it happens (you get a "This number cannot be completed as dialed" as soon as there's an outage)."

Funny you mention that. I called 5 times got the same recording, so tried again, same thing I didn't hang up this time. I heard a echo like it was from a recording on speaker-phone, then 5sec of silence followed by "Some Mediacom customers are experiencing outage due to a confirmed fiber cut... ect".

Things that make you go... "hmmm".

kwbelt1

join:2006-06-03
Marion, IL
reply to David Wong

Seems like the net just (8:00) came back online for me.
Funny how that 8 hour window was pretty precise

RyanThaDude
Indiana's No. 1 Zero

join:2004-01-24
Walkerton, IN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to David Wong

Granted, these fiber cuts suck and have been happening quite frequently. There is one thing you must remember when these do happen--it takes a long time to have them repaired. These are fiber optic cables with many extremely small fibers that require tight tolerances and skill to fix unlike traditional copper cabling.

Another thing is that I doubt Mediacom has their own dedicated fiber line. They probably lease from another company and shared with many other companies and providers, and I would assume that company would be the one responsible for the fix.

As much as I would love to blame Mediacom for these problems I don't think Mediacom has anything to do with these and probably don't have much control.

Nexis

join:2002-04-29
USA
Reviews:
·US Cellular
reply to David Wong

We own all the fiber inside a town that goes from the ONU out to the nodes and other locations on our network. A lot of the backhaul fiber is leased from other companies, however we are laying more and more of our own fiber. Also we connect to other companies that to provide the bandwidth for the internet. Rural areas have miles and miles of aerial fiber to connect the different areas together. Some individuals who enjoy cheap beer and firearms sometimes decide that snowshoes for maintenance loops, line weights to combat galloping, and splice cases make great targets for said guns after said beer.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

yes but in those rural areas like mine mediacom could bury the cable. But instead are to cheap to do it. And you only have one backbone provider and thats ATT which for the life of me I dont understand why you only have one.

Mediacom needs a fiber ring for redundancy.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

There has been some discussion about redundancy before. As I understand it, some areas have redundancy and others don't. I believe that stated goal of Mediacom, at that time, was to always be looking at improving redundancy.

edit: »Re: [IA] Massive Mediacom Net Outage? (Iowa)

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

yeah that post was 4.5 yrs ago they have really gotten far....

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to GLIMMER

if your power drop is aerial so is the cable. if your power is underground so is the cable
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

in my sub division its all buried. I'm talking from the headend to my town they could bury that if they wanted to. Frontier has so there is no reason mediacom could not.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

said by GLIMMER:

in my sub division its all buried. I'm talking from the headend to my town they could bury that if they wanted to. Frontier has so there is no reason mediacom could not.

Well aerial is done if the area is considered aerial and underground if the rest of the utilities are underground (at the time of install, if at a later date other utilities are buried the city has to pay Mediacom to bury their cable AFAIK). Mediacom rents the pole access and usually do not install any poles.

However I always prefer aerial cables due to better access and faster repair.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

kb0nly

join:2003-07-25
Tyler, MN
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to David Wong

We have been having these "fiber cut" issues up here in MN to. Just last night it was down for about 6 hours because of a "confirmed fiber cut", funny everyone else with other ISP's around here seemed to stay online. If it was such a regional backbone thing as the tech excused it as then why only affect one ISP and not everyone?

But anyway... They need new cables if they are going to have a fiber cut every week... LOL

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to kwbelt1

3rd parties will not be selling Clearwave Fiber here, there is already fiber in marion run but a local company......clearwave wants thier slice of the pie.....actually the WHOLE pie.....10 meg by 10 Meg clearwave is 500.00 a month I have already talked to them about it