dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
spiderman168
join:2012-06-02

spiderman168

Lowest cost per month for highest upstream speed in ON CAN?

Hi folks, hope this is the right forum to place this in. I figured this is more general to all ISP and not one specific one.

Bell has a 15/10 DSL service for $52.99, 10Mbps would be great, anyone have anything else better?

Thanks

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Try here >>>>> »Canadian
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to spiderman168

to spiderman168
said by spiderman168:

Hi folks, hope this is the right forum to place this in. I figured this is more general to all ISP and not one specific one.

Bell has a 15/10 DSL service for $52.99, 10Mbps would be great, anyone have anything else better?

Thanks

Regular price or retention deal? Some people were getting 80% off internet if they paid regular price for cable tv (even the cheapest cable package qualified), which means if 75/10 is available in your area you'd be able to get it at $21.40 ($99 + $7 modem rental, then 80% off).

This is Rogers, and would require a 2 year contract.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to spiderman168

to spiderman168
Spidey... here's a couple specific options...

First, I believe that $52.95 15/10 plan from Bell is a 'bundle' price, and is only good for 75GB/month usage. Those speeds are not guaranteed, most notably the upload speeds. You must read all the very fine print at Bell, and click on all the * and + symbols.

And of course, the service must be available for your location. Check at the Bell website.

For other VDSL services (25/10), check out EBox or Teksavvy...
»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· dsl.html
»www.teksavvy.com/en/resi ··· rnet/dsl

Ree mentioned above you might be able to strike a deal with Rogers cable (student plan?). START MIGHT be offering some higher-upload plans in Rogers cable areas, sometime soon.
»start.ca/services/highspeed

If you're in a Cogeco cable area, you can get at least 2M upload, via Cogeco or Start.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

....You must read all the very fine print at Bell, and click on all the * and + symbols....

....If you're in a Cogeco cable area, you can get at least 2M upload, via Cogeco or Start.

Don't you mean UP TO an upload of 2M, in Cogeco territory, as that is currently their fastest. - Still beats Rogers by a mile !

Also, Cogeco has just announced to existing customers (thru an email which even THOSE folks may or may not receive due to incorrect/non-config of their Cogeo mailboxes) that their plans will be revised as of Feb 1st.

»Cogeco

Almost all plans will have a faster upload speed than before, and more of them will reach the 2M max than before - some monthly caps are also raised - so far no talk of price hikes, but watch for them !

Therefive, START might be able to offer those speeds too, soon after.

BTW, at BH#$ELL, you further need to click on all of the INVISIBLE links to see some of their fine print - think of this like how some arcade games work for finding the secret prizes.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to spiderman168

to spiderman168
Move to Sudbury you can have 30meg up on ftth

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

1 edit

jasmo34 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
> Don't you mean UP TO an upload of 2M, in Cogeco territory, as that is currently their fastest

Well, YES, of course almost all speeds are "up to". (BTW, in the very fine print, Bell's stated "minimum upload speed" on their 15M/10M plan is only 680K; same upload speed I get on legacy 5M/800K!.

My use of 'at least', was because I thought/hoped COGECO MIGHT offer something faster than 2M upload, perhaps on their 55M plan. But, as per your new Cogeco info, it appears 2M will still be their top upload.

And, as we've noticed before, Cogeco STILL does not display that "secret upload speed data" on their website!! And I didn't feel like phoning in to listen to their music, to eventually get that info.

edit... Hey DNH: I also got that Cogeco survey request today too; I took the time to click thru it, and mentioned "SHOW ME THE UPLOAD SPEEDS" on every free-form comment box, and scored them BAD on many questions, because "Desired Info Not on Website"!
spiderman168

spiderman168

Thanks guys for the comments, I agree the fine print probably means it's dependent on the copper quality to obtain 10Mbps but with DSL versus a shared medium like cable I think it should be more possible to reach 10Mbps. Theoretically anyways. Anyone on 15/10 can confirm speedtest upstream speeds?

As for the other question, yes it would be regular service not retentions, I want to setup a server so upstream is very important for me. Usage cap not so much since the application doesn't take up lots of bandwidth it just needs to respond quickly hence more speed needed.
Dcite
join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON

Dcite

While I don't think Bell itself will have any trouble getting 10mbit upload the question is more along the lines of, does the phone lines which carry the signal to your specific home, have the qualities which are needed for this upload speed?
if the place you intend to run the server already has some form of DSL on site, it would be wise to check the line stats to see what is possible.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to spiderman168

MVM

to spiderman168
TekSavvy 25/10 with 300GB cap: $52.99 + $8 modem rental = $60.99/mth

eBox 25/10 with 250GB cap: $50.95 + $10 modem rental = $60.95/mth

Bell ON 25/10 with 125GB cap non-bundle: $66.95/mth

eBox does include a free dry loop with their offer, while TekSavvy has an unlimited tier for $25 extra, so there are advantages to both.

Bell also includes a free dry loop, and effectively has an unlimited offer for $80/mth extra.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to jasmo34

Premium Member

to jasmo34
said by jasmo34:

My use of 'at least', was because I thought/hoped COGECO MIGHT offer something faster than 2M upload, perhaps on their 55M plan. But, as per your new Cogeco info, it appears 2M will still be their top upload.

....Alas, alack, and all that - because if GOUGEco did, then TPIA ISPs might too....
said by jasmo34:

....And, as we've noticed before, Cogeco STILL does not display that "secret upload speed data" on their website!! And I didn't feel like phoning in to listen to their music, to eventually get that info....

And how would the average person even know TO ask ?!
said by jasmo34:

....edit... Hey DNH: I also got that Cogeco survey request today too; I took the time to click thru it, and mentioned "SHOW ME THE UPLOAD SPEEDS" on every free-form comment box, and scored them BAD on many questions, because "Desired Info Not on Website"!

I thought about that too, but I've already moved on from them last April.

And I have lamented sooooo many times here (including in their forum), as well as to their CS & Tech reps over the phone....................
spiderman168

spiderman168 to Dcite

to Dcite
That is very true, that phone line has been none to have "noise" but that was back in the 3M down days, it's now running 6M with no issues. So despite noise, or perhaps more tolerant DSLAM equipment my noisy line still seems to be able to reach and exceed my supposed speed