share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 edit
reply to RcP

Re: Netflix Open Connect CDN Request

Retransmission fees are out of control. Here in Iowa just recently, has been the Dish vs. KCRG battle. KCRG wants a "small" increase in transmission fees. Dish is telling people the increase is to the tune of 500%. They either had to pay or lose the station. Dish refused. They are bleeding customers left and right as a result. The local cooperatives are just raising their price, significantly. Good luck to Mediacom and DirecTV in the next dispute. It won't be pretty.

There is nothing Mediacom can do. This shouldn't be legal.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to BAINCH
I'm still not shedding any tears for Mediacom. Mediacom has a rep for poor management and a CEO who is a blowhard because Mediacom has poor management and the CEO is a blowhard. You tell me...why do you think the cable industry has been boxed in by the content providers?

I don't want to put you in the uncomfortable position of defending the prices you charge for TV service that is pretty crappy...and I'm not talking about the content(well..yes the content of Family cable is poor). Have you actually sat down and watched Mediacom TV as provided by a DTA? The picture is pretty horrible. And no, there is nothing wrong with my signal or my TVs.

You can bow out or keep replying...it's up to you.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11
said by drslash:

I'm still not shedding any tears for Mediacom. Mediacom has a rep for poor management and a CEO who is a blowhard because Mediacom has poor management and the CEO is a blowhard. You tell me...why do you think the cable industry has been boxed in by the content providers?

I don't want to put you in the uncomfortable position of defending the prices you charge for TV service that is pretty crappy...and I'm not talking about the content(well..yes the content of Family cable is poor). Have you actually sat down and watched Mediacom TV as provided by a DTA? The picture is pretty horrible. And no, there is nothing wrong with my signal or my TVs.

May I ask which model DTA you have? Perhaps you could email me a short video of the picture that I could investigate.

Thanks.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
said by BAINCH:

said by drslash:

May I ask which model DTA you have? Perhaps you could email me a short video of the picture that I could investigate.

Thanks.

I can tell you what model DTA I have but I can't send you any video. I would suggest you contact the Cedar Rapids, Iowa head end for the sample video from a DTA. I'll give you my DTA model number when I am back home.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
reply to BAINCH
well bainch since were on the cap x subject

when is mediacom going to get redudant systems for internet. These Fiber Cuts are getting old. No way one piece of fiber should kill a whole state.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
reply to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Netflix wants their competitors to let them ride on their networks free of charge and on Netflix's terms. That doesn't benefit ISPs when it competes with your own product offering. It also puts substantial stress on the network, requiring upgrades that Netflix won't be footing the bill for.

My ISP is not in the TV business.

Netflix has gotten big enough that they are trying to push ISPs around.

You seem to be confusing MSO with ISP. I don't pay for either cable, or satellite service for TV: They want too much for too little. I just want Internet; and my provider will still provide service regardless of what Netflix does.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
Blooming Grove, NY
reply to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

when is mediacom going to get redudant systems for internet. These Fiber Cuts are getting old. No way one piece of fiber should kill a whole state.

Most of the network will have route-diverse redundancy by Q2 this year. There are still some sections on sticks that we continue to work on.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
said by BAINCH:

said by GLIMMER:

Most of the network will have route-diverse redundancy by Q2 this year. There are still some sections on sticks that we continue to work on.

so who else will you be using for tier 1 peering?

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA
reply to drslash
said by drslash:

said by BAINCH:

said by drslash:

Thanks.

I can tell you what model DTA I have but I can't send you any video. I would suggest you contact the Cedar Rapids, Iowa head end for the sample video from a DTA. I'll give you my DTA model number when I am back home.

The DTA user guide that came with the DTA says it is a technicolor. There is a model number on a sticker on the bottom: DC105GEU1.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
Blooming Grove, NY
reply to GLIMMER
said by GLIMMER:

so who else will you be using for tier 1 peering?

Sorry, I can't say. I'm sure somebody will notice shortly after it goes up and post something here.

tdawg

join:2012-01-09
Des Moines, IA
reply to RcP
i would love to have the cdn delivered to mediacom that could mean that now we could get 7.1 and 3D