share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

GTX 670 Video Card Question

I recently bought this PNY GTX 670 video card:

PNY VCGGTX670XPB GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

It was $279.99 after $40 rebate and came with two free video games valued at about ~$50 each

quote:
Free Gift: NVIDIA Gift Game Borderlands 2 (value:$49.99)
Free Gift: NVIDIA Gift PC Game Assassin's Creed 3 (value:$49.99)

The card works fine and I like it a lot. Its apparently a reference design so its nothing special as far as GTX 670 cards go. The outer cooler shroud feels a little on the cheap side but its serviceable.

My question is a bit of an odd one I think but its basically a simple question:

I’ve noticed that the video card actually differs slightly from the pictures Newegg has up of it on its product page. In fact I think it differs slightly from every GTX 670 I have seen regardless of manufacturer.

The port layout is usually as follows:

DVI-DL + HDMI + Displayport

That is to say that the HDMI port is usually between the DVI-DL port and the DisplayPort. On this PNY card the port layout is as follows:

DVI-DL + Display Port + HDMI

I just find this a bit odd and was wondering why there would be such a difference (even though functionally it has no consequences)?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 edit

It is the way PNY wanted to implement it. Other than that I don;t think you are going to find a better reason.

BTW - I have the same port layout as you with my EVGA 670.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA
reply to Octavean

I purchased the same card same deal

Strange my card has the HDMI and Display port switched vs your picture and does not have the two small air holes on the left side
--
hmmmmmm....

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

It is the way PNY wanted to implement it. Other than that I don;t think you are going to find a better reason.

BTW - I have the same port layout as you with my EVGA 670.

Thanks, I guess that is as good a reason as any.

said by a2nxtcrav3r:

I purchased the same card same deal

Strange my card has the HDMI and Display port switched vs your picture and does not have the two small air holes on the left side

This is the Newegg picture of the card. It's not representative of the retail PNY card I received. As I said there are some dissimilarities but they seem to be superficial. Not a big deal as the card seems perfectly functional.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

What you're asking (really!) is "why did PNY's circuit designers/EE folks change something". I don't think anyone on the Internet is going to know the answer. But I know someone who will have the 100% correct/factual answer.

It may have to do with PCB/circuit optimisation on the card itself (this is incredibly common and usually relates to cost savings -- this is done across hardware universally, not just consumer products), or may have done it citing concerns over noise picked up across nearby ports (i.e. moving the HDMI connection further away from the DVI ports, since DVI ports do offer analog output across some pins). It may be that the actual board layout differs from the nVidia reference model (if you were to remove the HSF you could probably tell -- I would not recommend doing it however). The list of possibilities are quite endless. For a comparison, take a look at Gigabyte motherboards sometime; version 1.0, version 1.1, version 2.0, version 2.1 -- then compare high-resolution pictures of all the boards. You'll find trace/layout changes, removal of circuitry/components, and in some cases actual changing of chip manufacturers. The same could be said about a video card; there is a lot more on a video card than just the GPU and RAM, you know.

So who is it that'd have the answer? PNY. Send them an Email or give them a phone call, provide them photos of their card vs. competitors cards or reference designs, and ask nicely if an engineer could explain the reason for the layout adjustment. Be sure to state that your inquiry stems purely from curiosity and that you're not having any technical issues with the card.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.