join:2007-01-25
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to espaeth

Re: Request Thread: Netflix SuperHD/Open Connect

Click for full size
Netflix's open peering policy
Click for full size
Comcast's selective, nonpublic peering policy
AFAIK, selective SFI != public peering, but let me know if I'm off base!

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

Practically speaking, however, peering of networks and getting interfaces to simply dump traffic onto a network are different things.

You're viewing this all wrong.

As a consumer I am paying Comcast for transit. They should be providing paid transit and offer settlement free peering at large at IX points (where practical). You can argue about interfaces and traffic ratios as what should be considered reasonable for a port cost (maybe 10G minimum).

They can also be selective in requirements and still be open. (eg. must peer with us in each region to avoid, route policy via MEDs, etc).

Why should Comcast feel the need to make money on my transit and then turn around and make money on my eyeballs. That's essentially what they're doing with such a selective peering policy.

One more thing, having a closed peering policy is actually makes my transit worse. For example, v6 transit often sucks for me because Comcast won't peer with HE or OCCAID directly.

Edit: Please don't make the argument that Comcast is a Tier 1 so it's okay that they have a closed peering policy. Not even close to a tier 1.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vitelity VOIP

1 recommendation

said by whfsdude:

You're viewing this all wrong.

As a consumer I am paying Comcast for transit.

Right. You're paying for a connection to the Internet. Netflix is not making their high bitrate service available to the Internet at large; it's only available if you engage in a private connection to them.

said by whfsdude:

Why should Comcast feel the need to make money on my transit and then turn around and make money on my eyeballs. That's essentially what they're doing with such a selective peering policy.

They're playing carrier just like everyone else. Verizon charges DSL and FiOS subscribers for their connection, and Verizon sells transit services because they operate their own backhaul network as well.

said by whfsdude:

One more thing, having a closed peering policy is actually makes my transit worse. For example, v6 transit often sucks for me because Comcast won't peer with HE or OCCAID directly.

The Internet has never been about optimized paths -- from the onset the primary driving factor was cost. Direct peering may result better performance, but from a business standpoint that isn't a consideration. If it's cheaper, you peer. If not, continue to leverage your transit providers.

said by whfsdude:

Edit: Please don't make the argument that Comcast is a Tier 1 so it's okay that they have a closed peering policy. Not even close to a tier 1.

Bringing up the tiering system is a joke anyway; it hasn't been relevant for almost a decade now.