Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

said by milnoc:

Now you have a choice. Purchase a single Blu-Ray title for $35, or have full access to a video collection for $8/month.

An important note to any major studio who doesn't "play ball" with Netflix. If your customers can't find your material on Netflix where you'll get paid something, they'll find your material on BitTorrent where you get paid NOTHING!

Now that made me laugh!

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

Tx

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

said by milnoc:

Now you have a choice. Purchase a single Blu-Ray title for $35, or have full access to a video collection for $8/month.

An important note to any major studio who doesn't "play ball" with Netflix. If your customers can't find your material on Netflix where you'll get paid something, they'll find your material on BitTorrent where you get paid NOTHING!

Now that made me laugh!

so true though. Bluray pricing is out of this world. DVD's were sold for $28-35 a decade ago, you'd think prices would drop a little bit.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
Most movies on bluray don't cost that much, at least not in the US. The Avengers on bluray is $25 from amazon.com, $18 new from other sellers through Amazon. Many others are cheaper.

Still a tad overpriced, tbh. At least when they charge $80 for TNG on bluray, you know that it cost them a ton of money on the remaster, and that the blurays are their primary revenue source for it, and that you're getting like 16+ hours of content. But for a movie that has already made a ton of money, the $30 price in Canada for The Avengers is higher than it needs to be.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

The entire VoD interface is also laughably badly designed and painfully slow to use.

I haven't seen an MSO with a decent interface and what's even more annoying is how often their VoD service has errors and fails to play the content.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to Guspaz

to Guspaz
I used to pay on average between $30 and $50 for Laserdisc titles!
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Most movies on bluray don't cost that much, at least not in the US. The Avengers on bluray is $25 from amazon.com, $18 new from other sellers through Amazon. Many others are cheaper.

Still a tad overpriced, tbh. At least when they charge $80 for TNG on bluray, you know that it cost them a ton of money on the remaster, and that the blurays are their primary revenue source for it, and that you're getting like 16+ hours of content. But for a movie that has already made a ton of money, the $30 price in Canada for The Avengers is higher than it needs to be.

All of that stuff is more than a tad bit overpriced.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
ok that is bleeping odd. on my PS3 when I try a superHD movie what it does it it will say high HD then change to high SD. WTF I take it that means it went superHD. that is one odd bug. I got 10mpbs down so shoudl be not issues getting superHD. that is enough is it not?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by TOPDAWG:

ok that is bleeping odd. on my PS3 when I try a superHD movie what it does it it will say high HD then change to high SD. WTF I take it that means it went superHD. that is one odd bug. I got 10mpbs down so shoudl be not issues getting superHD. that is enough is it not?

SuperHD isn't up & running just yet.
EcHoMaN
join:2003-05-04
Toronto, ON

EcHoMaN

said by resa1983:

said by TOPDAWG:

SuperHD isn't up & running just yet.

It looks to be in use for me.....

Nagilum
Premium Member
join:2012-08-15
Kitchener, ON

Nagilum to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Is anyone able to confirm whether TSI's DNS servers must be used to access the super HD content? Or can I use Google DNS?
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

I can't say I've ever spend $35 on a single Blu-Ray title. $25 would be the most. On average around $15 per title (most of the time I only buy them when they're on sale).

Still kind of expensive. But the downloading and storage (not to mention legality) of full 1:1 Blu-Ray rips is too much of a PITA for me.

Oh, and a "video collection" that is dependent on having a fast and reliable internet connection isn't much of a collection. I'm glad I have my on-disc collection cause I'm going to be spending 6 months where the only internet connection I'll have is 128k. Not enough for any kind of streaming.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by TheMG:

I can't say I've ever spend $35 on a single Blu-Ray title. $25 would be the most. On average around $15 per title (most of the time I only buy them when they're on sale).

Still kind of expensive. But the downloading and storage (not to mention legality) of full 1:1 Blu-Ray rips is too much of a PITA for me.

Oh, and a "video collection" that is dependent on having a fast and reliable internet connection isn't much of a collection. I'm glad I have my on-disc collection cause I'm going to be spending 6 months where the only internet connection I'll have is 128k. Not enough for any kind of streaming.

$15 is still way too much and the fact that there is still differentiation between SD vs HD now is pathetic. There is no excuse for it any more. It is a pure money grab. I don't think much of having a collection of physical media, it is so passé and limiting.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to spock8

to spock8
said by spock8:

Still no Super HD for me. Can you tell me how you got it working. Could it be I'm out west?

Are you on Telus's network? I am, and I still see no SHD titles on my Roku 2 XD. I'm using TSI's DNS servers.
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Im using Unotelly's DNS and can access SuperHD though when I check my bitrate, its not at the SuperHD throughput however that's another matter. In fact, I know its available and not a fluke since if I start downloading/Skype/etc, my speeds in the evening are so bad that titles which were labelled as SuperHD turn into "typical" HD.
Kaoz
join:2007-02-05
Montreal, QC

Kaoz

said by DSMdude:

Im using Unotelly's DNS and can access SuperHD though when I check my bitrate, its not at the SuperHD throughput however that's another matter. In fact, I know its available and not a fluke since if I start downloading/Skype/etc, my speeds in the evening are so bad that titles which were labelled as SuperHD turn into "typical" HD.

Which Unotelly DNS server are you using? SuperHD and 3D not showing up for me with their servers but it'll show up when I'm on TekSavvy DNS although with the shitty canadian selection.
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Using their Dynamo service

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

Hm, I was able to see some titles as "SuperHD" using Windows 8's Netflix app, and did some streaming at 5800 Kbps (ctrl-alt-shift-s). I'm not sure why I couldn't do the same from the Roku, although it was probably close to a week ago that I last tried. I'll have to try again, as I'm not too interested in watching from Windows.
Eug
join:2007-04-14
Canada

Eug to milnoc

to milnoc

Buy Blu-ray, to get Netflix SuperHD.

said by milnoc:

Just watched The Fifth Element in Super-HD using a borrowed Sony Google TV appliance.

Wow.

While it may not be absolutely perfect (sub-SD quality for the first 15 to 30 seconds), I can definitely see casual viewers with modest to moderate set-ups ditch both their cable subscription and their Blu-Ray player for this.

Actually, a Blu-ray player is one of the best ways of getting Netflix SuperHD.

Plus Blu-ray players are cheap, actually even less expensive than stuff like Apple TV and other TV appliances, and of course will play Blu-ray as well as existing legacy DVDs. Win-win.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to Nagilum

to Nagilum

said by Nagilum:

Is anyone able to confirm whether TSI's DNS servers must be used to access the super HD content? Or can I use Google DNS?

Yes you have to use TSI's DNS Servers. Also an approved device, like Apple TV, is required.

Check out the list of approved devices at this link: »support.netflix.com/en/n ··· sc.tab=0
Eug
Canada

Eug to El Quintron

to El Quintron

DNS servers

Hmmm... I'll have to recheck but I'm sure my router isn't configured to use TSI's DNS servers. However, that page said my setup was fine for SuperHD. I think it's using Google with a backup to OpenDNS or vice versa.

The reason I wasn't using TSI's servers was because a few years back I had some serious DNS issues on Macs with TSI's servers. I figure the issues were corrected a long time ago but I never went back.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Eug

MVM

to Eug

Re: Buy Blu-ray, to get Netflix SuperHD.

said by Eug:

Actually, a Blu-ray player is one of the best ways of getting Netflix SuperHD.

Plus Blu-ray players are cheap, actually even less expensive than stuff like Apple TV and other TV appliances, and of course will play Blu-ray as well as existing legacy DVDs. Win-win.

Not the best way. The cheapest way, perhaps, but the best way is still the PS3. There's also a chance that, if/when Netflix moves to h.265, the PS3 will still be able to handle it. The PS3 does all the decoding in software, while bluray players do it in hardware.

The downside of the PS3 is the cost. If you're only going to use it for media playback, it's rather expensive. I still believe it to be the best bluray/DVD/netflix player, and that's pretty much the only reason why I bought it (I prefer gaming on my 360), but I'll admit that the PS3 isn't the most affordable way to do so.
Eug
Canada

Eug

PS3 not best solution for Netflix.

The other downside of the PS3 is lack of stackability (curved top), and the fact it has no IR support - not very friendly in general for Harmony remotes, unless you buy an adapter that costs almost as much as a whole Blu-ray player. The PS3 also use a ton more power. Even PS3 Slim uses several times more power.

H.265 is irrelevant at the moment. People can cross that bridge when they come to it.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron

Stability? You should never stack anything on top of ANY STB. That's a terrible idea for cooling reasons, since they tend to have cooling vents on the top. So the curved top of the PS3 should be irrelevant.

The lack of IR support is annoying, but not critical. My Harmony remote works fine with it due to the overpriced adapter, but the PS3 bluray remote itself works fine.

The power usage is certainly true, but not necessarily a factor. At least not to me, since my rent includes electricity. The current PS3 is down to about 70 watts for playing a bluray, while dedicated players fall into the 15-25 range.

The PS3's upgradability has definitely mattered in the past. There have been three compatibility-breaking standards updates (profile 1.1, 2.0, and 5.0) so far which the PS3 got software upgrades for and existing hardware players were often SOL. The possibility of future upgrades with the PS3 remains stronger than dedicated hardware players.
Eug
Canada

Eug

Stacking stuff like Bluray players is essentially never a problem because they use so little power. I almost wonder if Sony intentionally made the PS3 so you couldn't put anything on top of it, since it is such a power hog. The current PS3 still actually uses more power than an easy bake oven, and the initial PS3 used several times as much as an easy bake oven. Ouch.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Eug:

The current PS3 still actually uses more power than an easy bake oven, and the initial PS3 used several times as much as an easy bake oven. Ouch.

Ouch indeed considering I still have a 20 GIG model, which is one of the originals...

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Eug

MVM

to Eug
said by Eug:

Stacking stuff like Bluray players is essentially never a problem because they use so little power. I almost wonder if Sony intentionally made the PS3 so you couldn't put anything on top of it, since it is such a power hog. The current PS3 still actually uses more power than an easy bake oven, and the initial PS3 used several times as much as an easy bake oven. Ouch.

Stacking bluray players is stupid, because it prevents heat dissipation, and violates your warranty.

The Easy Bake oven contained a 100-watt lightbulb, while the PS3 uses 70 watts. The "ultimate" easy bake oven introduced in the US due to the incandescent lightbulb ban should use roughly the same amount of power, as it switched from a lightbulb to an actual heating element.

xxgg
join:2004-01-15

1 edit

xxgg to El Quintron

to El Quintron
PS3 is currently on clearance sale at Futureshop for $179.

Priced like a higher end blu-ray player?

»www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/ ··· 3701en02

By the way,,, Super HD can't be played on Windows 7 machine? Seriously?

Windows 8 does seem to be optimal for HTPC tho~
»www.anandtech.com/show/6 ··· d-more/3

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
Windows 7 can only use the browser app, which is Microsoft VC-1, while the Windows 8 Metro app presumably uses h.264 (the same encoded files as all their STB streams).
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to Eug

Premium Member

to Eug
said by Eug:

I find mine puts off enough heat after several hours of use that it could be converted to an easy bake oven if left in an enclosed space. I wouldn't want to stack my PS3 on top of or under another heat producing device.

nettles
@teksavvy.com

nettles to Guspaz

Anon

to Guspaz
Having recently bought a blu-ray player for Netflix, I can say it's a good option but not the best. I bought the blu-ray player in particular (Sony S590) because it has a web browser which most don't. However it proved to be useless because the browser did not support flash so no streaming. It does however include youtube (high quality not supported), Daily Motion, and a few other apps including NHL Gamecentre (don't give the NHL your $, spend it on hockeystreams).

The blu-ray player has a good wireless N capability and an ethernet connection as well. Our DVD player also broke and the PS3 is always downstairs so we needed something that could play bluray/DVD hence another reason we bought that.

If you don't need blu-ray/DVD playability then my best recommendation is to get a device that supports XBMC which can include certain streaming players and an HTPC which is a bit more expensive but worth it. The reason is that XBMC can support a Netflix plug-in but can ALSO support a regular Hulu plugin called Real Hulu which lets you get Hulu TV shows that aren't geoblocked. You don't even need this plug-in because there's a 1channel.ch and icefilms plug-in on XBMC along with many TV channels and foreign channel streams. Best way to cut the cable imo is to get an OTA antenna and find a way to connect XBMC. This is getting even easier to do now that Android supports XBMC though it's in beta and connecting android to your TV via something like android on a stick is less than $50. The technology for XBMC and Android on a TV is still developing so that's why I'd recommend getting an HTPC.