Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

Not so much a rack of equipment as "a bunch of equipment stacked up on eachother behind the couch" :P It was a lot messier when I was still doing MLPPP and had the second modem there.

In that area is the a Back-UPS ES 750 that powers the DSL router and modem (no longer use MLPPP, so just one), and a Back-UPS PRO 1500 with extended run external battery pack which powers the file server, Epson PowerLite 8345 and the wireless subwoofer from my Sony HT-550W sound system (I know, I know, a soundbar, but I have very limited space).

On the other side of the room is (other than the projection screen, an 80" Da-Lite Theater-Lite) a Back-UPS Pro 1500 (older generation) with external extended run battery, a PS3, a 360, sometimes a wii, a Videotron digicable box, a Monoprice 4x2 matrix switcher, the Sony soundsystem's receiver and soundbar, the harmony remote charger and PS3 adapter, my SFF desktop computer (Shuttle XPC SZ77R5), various computer peripherals (microphone, mouse, keyboard, Dell U2711 monitor, etc).

On both sides you'll find a variety of chargers for things :P

One problem is that all the plugs in my apartment (except for the kitchen and bathroom) are on one single 15A circuit. So all three UPSes are on the same circuit... Even then, I think I've only blew the fuse for breaking the 15A level once in the past five or so years.

Some of my experience isn't just because of what I've done at home, though. For example, I have a lot of experience with projectors. Not because I own the one I have at home, but because I've purchased and managed or rented 20 or 30 of them (lost track) for Otakuthon.

In the past, we would get mostly DLP office projectors, because we had such a tight budget. We have a few different brands. In the early days we mostly bought ViewSonic units (and a few others like Vivitek or Optoma sprinkled in). We tried some dual-bulb BenQ models (the SP920 or something) that were supposed to be super bright, but they were a disappointment. Then we started buying nothing but Dell models, because they make some very affordable and bright DLP office projectors. We've also rented large-venue projectors for our main events room, where last year I had two 290" screens, so those take pro-grade projectors. The kind that cost as much as a car. They're DLP, but three-chip, so they can do decent colour.

Recently, we've decided to start moving to 3LCD. We always knew that 3LCD would have more accurate colour and higher brightness (single-chip DLP produce white by blocking two thirds of the light at any given time and combining it again, while 3LCD works by splitting the full light into three and shining it in the same spot). But 3LCD cost more, and we didn't think it was that big a difference.

Then, when we were buying a projector to ceiling mount in our office (we got an office for the convention's owner company a few years ago, super useful), we decided to go 3LCD, because we were tired of the design department presenting artwork and having to say "I swear, that purple colour is red on my laptop's screen!". So we got an Epson PowerLite 1940w...

It's a 4200 lumen 3LCD WXGA projector, and the projector it was replacing was a Dell unit that was a 4300 lumen DLP WXGA projector... So I thought it was the perfect time to compare them, and I had the logistics department bring the Dell to the office. I put them side by side, and... the difference was ridiculous.

Despite having an officially lower brightness, the 3LCD projector was enormously brighter, and the colours were enormously improved. Pure green looked like pure green on the 3LCD, and puke green on the DLP... And the projector only cost 20% more... So from then on we decided it was worth the extra expense. So for our 2013 crop of projector purchases (and we don't need additional projectors, so at this point we're going to sell off our oldest and crappiest and replace them with newer ones), we're going to focus on 3LCD projectors. The 1940w is a pretty good candidate for the rest of them, but we'll re-evaluate the available models when the time comes. They'll probably be Epson, since they own the 3LCD tech, so I'd rather use first-party projectors instead of getting 3LCD projectors from other companies that just license it from Epson.

There is a downside to 3LCD though, because of how they work, the RGB subpixels are often not perfectly aligned (not at the ~$1000 pricepoint anyhow). single-chip DLP doesn't have this problem. So single-chip DLP can produce sharper images, but at the cost of terrible colour, low brightness, and the rainbow effect.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to clarknova

Re: WD TV

said by clarknova:

My coworker has a WD box and it 'loses' the samba share from time to time. He has to power cycle it to get the share back.

For me it has never been able to find my NAS on the network but Windows / OS X / Linux systems work just fine. Some other media players have the ability to manually input a hostname for the system so they can workaround their somewhat broken SMB/CIFS support but the WD doesn't allow the user to manually input a hostname. If you go into their forums you'll see that a very large portion of the posts are from users having issues with the device not being able to see systems on the network with which they have SMB/CIFS shares on. It's like are you kidding me? They still haven't fixed this.. even allowing the user to manually input a hostname would be an improvement for most users.

tristen1230

join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON
reply to El Quintron

Too bad it is only on devices if I am correct. I at least do not have any of those devices.

Etobicoke, ON

said by tristen1230:

Too bad it is only on devices if I am correct.

No, that is not correct.

Linkness

join:2009-05-15
reply to El Quintron

Hi I am currently on DSL 6Mbps and I am unable to get anything higher than medium/HD when trying to stream a Super HD movie on PS3. I am thinking of upgrading to 10 Mbps DSL service and I was wondering if people on 10 Mbps DSL are able to achieve the full quality of Super HD

Luis

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to El Quintron

Just got a Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-Ray player today. It, along with the S1100 and S5100 models, support Netflix Super-HD. The S1100 doesn't have Wi-Fi support (just wired Ethernet), and the S5100 *might* support Netflix 3D, but I didn't bother to check since I'm not interested in watching anything presented in 3D.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

paulwye

join:2007-02-17
Toronto, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

the projector it was replacing was a Dell unit that was a 4300 lumen DLP WXGA projector...

Any chance the projector you're referring to is the Dell 4320 (or something in that series)?

I ask because we have one at work and, while I'm more pleased with it than I have been with previous DLP units (and it's certainly reasonably priced), if the Epson is that much better at a similar price point, I'd rather grab a couple of those instead. Much obliged for any advice you can offer.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

Yeah, we have a bunch of the Dell 4320. They're decent, they're cheap (when on sale), but having experienced the quality difference between the Dell 4320 and the Epson 1940w, we'll be buying LCD projectors like the 1940w from now on.

The 1940w has a slightly lower brightness rating on paper, but is MUCH brighter in practice, and has enormously better colours (I actually put the two projectors side by side :P)

The 4320 is a good DLP projector, it's just that we realized that the price premium for LCD is more than worth it.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

Just got a Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-Ray player today. It, along with the S1100 and S5100 models, support Netflix Super-HD. The S1100 doesn't have Wi-Fi support (just wired Ethernet), and the S5100 *might* support Netflix 3D, but I didn't bother to check since I'm not interested in watching anything presented in 3D.

I'm looking for alternatives to my PS3 that support it, so far the only thing I really like as much as the Boxee are the Roku boxes.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

milnoc

H3B

The only thing I wish Sony would make available is an optional keyboard remote. Typing using the standard remote is slow and painful.
--

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to paulwye

Could you guys list some super HD titles? I loaded up netflix on my Blu ray player and the ones I've checked are all HD. There is no Super HD option I've seen yet. However 1 title I tried showed 6 megabits per second. I'm on TekSavvy which supposedly supports it, and I have 25 Mbps VDSL2.

PS. I have a triple core 2.9 GHz Athlon II X3 435 with integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9200 and 8 GB RAM, and I can't play Netflix 1080p smoothly in Windows 7. This is despite the fact that Bluray plays perfectly on the same machine. I have enabled hardware accelerated acceleration in Silverlight but no joy.
--
Everything Apple

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

House of Cards is Super HD.

--Steve

Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

I'm looking for alternatives to my PS3 that support it, so far the only thing I really like as much as the Boxee are the Roku boxes.

I really wish I could find something as good as the Boxee. Everything else I have looked at is very much lacking.

Eug

Canada

Boxee Box

Boxee Box is still for sale (even though I avoided it because it's been end-of-life'd). In fact, it was $110 for the refurb a couple of weeks ago.

However, Boxee does not support 1080p Netflix. Just 720p, and it will never, ever get updated beyond the current version.
--
Everything Apple

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

Most of the HD content on Netflix is in SuperHD at this point. Probably the vast majority at this point.
--

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

Re: Boxee Box

said by Eug:

Boxee Box is still for sale (even though I avoided it because it's been end-of-life'd). In fact, it was $110 for the refurb a couple of weeks ago.

However, Boxee does not support 1080p Netflix. Just 720p, and it will never, ever get updated beyond the current version.

I know it is. It would have been nice to see a hw refresh that added support for some of the newer audio codecs so as to be able to add support for 1080p/5.1 sound. Boxee TV is a castrated product that is a step backwards.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to El Quintron

I see on PS3 they tell you what format you getting now like it will say 480SD and the like I can get super HD and it shows 1080 Super HD.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to El Quintron

I love my Roku but I don't know why it's not showing any SuperHD content. It's a 1080p Roku and I see SHD in the Windows 8 Netflix app.

Is anybody seeing SuperHD with Roku on Teksavvy?
--
db

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON

seems to be buggy you ask me. I was getting super HD last night now I just get HD.

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON

Are you using a american DNS service to get american Netflix? I find SuperHD support very spotty when I do this.

--Steve

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22

Using linode Newark's DNS servers (and VPNing through OVH) I've had fast switching to SuperHD (<1 minute) using a PS3. I've also never noticed it drop to a lower rate and I don't think it ever has. (I'm on a ~9mbit sync, not with TSI, but that shouldn't matter)

Eug

Canada
reply to Guspaz

SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar quality

said by stevey_frac:

House of Cards is Super HD.

said by Guspaz:

Most of the HD content on Netflix is in SuperHD at this point. Probably the vast majority at this point.

Hmmm... I just got a WD TV Live today, and the vast majority of titles are showing up as SuperHD.

OTOH, on my Sony BDP-S380 in the same location, nothing is showing up as SuperHD, just HD. However, video quality seems good nonetheless, with similar video quality (at least for the brief snippets I tried, on a couple of titles).

I wonder if the Sony is actually getting the appropriate SuperHD bitrates, but just doesn't have the app updated yet to indicate the titles are in fact SuperHD. I note that the Blu-ray player's latest firmware update is from last August. I suspect that at the next Blu-ray update (which could be weeks to months from now), it will get an updated Netflix app to show the SuperHD icon.

On a side note, I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box (refurbished). It was $64 shipped from a US eBay seller, and I only ordered it at the end of last week.
--
Everything Apple

milnoc

H3B

Re: SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar qua

It's doubtful Sony will upgrade your old player's firmware. They would prefer you buy a new player.
--

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

said by Eug:

I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box

The WD devices are decent for Netflix but that's about it. I have a WD TV Live Hub and I don't really use it. The firmware is so bad. I would have loved to use it instead of the Boxee Box as in theory in spec it should be better.

TOPDAWG
Premium
Midland, ON
reply to El Quintron

if you're going to upgrade for super HD netflix I'd get a roku they're cheap pared up with a plex server that can transcode your stuff it's pretty damn cool on roku.

Eug

Canada

Media streaming boxes

said by milnoc:

It's doubtful Sony will upgrade your old player's firmware. They would prefer you buy a new player.

? They get regular firmware updates. My much older Sony players also got updates last year.

said by 34764170:

The WD devices are decent for Netflix but that's about it. I have a WD TV Live Hub and I don't really use it. The firmware is so bad. I would have loved to use it instead of the Boxee Box as in theory in spec it should be better.

What's wrong with it? Have you updated to the latest firmware? The WD TV Live seems fine to me. I've never used the Hub as I stream everything from a NAS.

said by TOPDAWG:

if you're going to upgrade for super HD netflix I'd get a roku they're cheap pared up with a plex server that can transcode your stuff it's pretty damn cool on roku.

I don't want to use a transcoding server. My files aren't on a computer anyway. They're on a NAS, and the ones fast enough to do transcoding cost way more. I don't see the point anyway, since even cell phones today can decode 1080p H.264.
--
Everything Apple

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to El Quintron

Not sure if anyone knows, but has Xbox 360 availability been discussed anywhere at all.

Seems odd that one of the most popular consoles wouldn't have Super HD capability, even though 1080p video is available through the Xbox Video store both streaming and download.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

Few hardware decoders support every single feature of h.264. Newer devices mostly support high profile, but older devices may only support main profile. q-pel support isn't universal, and very few support 10-bit (used a lot in fansubs). The level of b-frames and reference frames supported also varies from device to device, and not every device supports CABAC.

Also, normally not a notable limitation, but most devices support level 4.1 at most, which limits you to 1080p30. 1080p60, if you wanted it, would require support for level 4.2.

These days, most 8-bit high profile stuff is probably mostly compatible with a very new hardware decoder. I think it would be the exception rather than the rule to encounter stuff that won't play.
--

Eug

Canada
reply to markf

My Xbox 360 doesn't even have HDMI. It is component only. Plus Netflix on the Xbox 360 is essentially crippled, because it requires a Live Gold membership.

Given that, I would not be surprised if Netflix views the the Xbox 360 as a 2nd tier target.
--
Everything Apple

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

There are about 70 million PS3's out there.

There are about 45 million Xbox Gold Memberships.

I would say 45 million users should be enough for Netflix to pay attention, although they have ignored 80 million BlackBerry users in the past.