uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSL_Ricer
Premium
join:2007-07-22
kudos:3
reply to stevey_frac

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

Using linode Newark's DNS servers (and VPNing through OVH) I've had fast switching to SuperHD (<1 minute) using a PS3. I've also never noticed it drop to a lower rate and I don't think it ever has. (I'm on a ~9mbit sync, not with TSI, but that shouldn't matter)

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada
reply to Guspaz

SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar quality

said by stevey_frac:

House of Cards is Super HD.

said by Guspaz:

Most of the HD content on Netflix is in SuperHD at this point. Probably the vast majority at this point.

Hmmm... I just got a WD TV Live today, and the vast majority of titles are showing up as SuperHD.

OTOH, on my Sony BDP-S380 in the same location, nothing is showing up as SuperHD, just HD. However, video quality seems good nonetheless, with similar video quality (at least for the brief snippets I tried, on a couple of titles).

I wonder if the Sony is actually getting the appropriate SuperHD bitrates, but just doesn't have the app updated yet to indicate the titles are in fact SuperHD. I note that the Blu-ray player's latest firmware update is from last August. I suspect that at the next Blu-ray update (which could be weeks to months from now), it will get an updated Netflix app to show the SuperHD icon.

On a side note, I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box (refurbished). It was $64 shipped from a US eBay seller, and I only ordered it at the end of last week.
--
Everything Apple

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Re: SuperHD on one player and HD on another but with similar qua

It's doubtful Sony will upgrade your old player's firmware. They would prefer you buy a new player.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

said by Eug:

I'm very pleased with this WD TV Live Streaming box

The WD devices are decent for Netflix but that's about it. I have a WD TV Live Hub and I don't really use it. The firmware is so bad. I would have loved to use it instead of the Boxee Box as in theory in spec it should be better.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
reply to El Quintron

if you're going to upgrade for super HD netflix I'd get a roku they're cheap pared up with a plex server that can transcode your stuff it's pretty damn cool on roku.

Eug

Canada

Media streaming boxes

said by milnoc:

It's doubtful Sony will upgrade your old player's firmware. They would prefer you buy a new player.

? They get regular firmware updates. My much older Sony players also got updates last year.

said by 34764170:

The WD devices are decent for Netflix but that's about it. I have a WD TV Live Hub and I don't really use it. The firmware is so bad. I would have loved to use it instead of the Boxee Box as in theory in spec it should be better.

What's wrong with it? Have you updated to the latest firmware? The WD TV Live seems fine to me. I've never used the Hub as I stream everything from a NAS.

said by TOPDAWG:

if you're going to upgrade for super HD netflix I'd get a roku they're cheap pared up with a plex server that can transcode your stuff it's pretty damn cool on roku.

I don't want to use a transcoding server. My files aren't on a computer anyway. They're on a NAS, and the ones fast enough to do transcoding cost way more. I don't see the point anyway, since even cell phones today can decode 1080p H.264.
--
Everything Apple

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to El Quintron

Not sure if anyone knows, but has Xbox 360 availability been discussed anywhere at all.

Seems odd that one of the most popular consoles wouldn't have Super HD capability, even though 1080p video is available through the Xbox Video store both streaming and download.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron

Few hardware decoders support every single feature of h.264. Newer devices mostly support high profile, but older devices may only support main profile. q-pel support isn't universal, and very few support 10-bit (used a lot in fansubs). The level of b-frames and reference frames supported also varies from device to device, and not every device supports CABAC.

Also, normally not a notable limitation, but most devices support level 4.1 at most, which limits you to 1080p30. 1080p60, if you wanted it, would require support for level 4.2.

These days, most 8-bit high profile stuff is probably mostly compatible with a very new hardware decoder. I think it would be the exception rather than the rule to encounter stuff that won't play.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Eug

Canada
reply to markf

My Xbox 360 doesn't even have HDMI. It is component only. Plus Netflix on the Xbox 360 is essentially crippled, because it requires a Live Gold membership.

Given that, I would not be surprised if Netflix views the the Xbox 360 as a 2nd tier target.
--
Everything Apple

markf

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom

There are about 70 million PS3's out there.

There are about 45 million Xbox Gold Memberships.

I would say 45 million users should be enough for Netflix to pay attention, although they have ignored 80 million BlackBerry users in the past.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

Netflix doesn't reveal their numbers to quite that detail, unfortunately. We do know, however, that the PS3 is the single most popular Netflix platform, more than any other (even PC). I think that I read something at some point that indicated that PC was second until the PS3 passed it, which would put the 360 in third place at best... At some point you would get into a ton of very small devices, like all those bluray players and smart TVs that support it, which probably individually have a small userbase for Netflix, but there's zillions of such different platforms...

The 360 has just never been all that good as a video playback platform. I used to use it for that before I got my PS3. I used it for Netflix and DVDs... neither was all that great, either with my old 360 on component, or my new 360 slim on HDMI.. Even for something as low-tech as DVD playback, the PS3 kicks its ass. Basically, I suspect that the PS3 has seen more success as a media player than the 360 has, both because it's a more open platform in terms of what it'll play unmodified, plus bluray video playback support, and the streaming services like netflix without requiring a separate subscription.

That's basically the situation I'm in now. All my TV media playback is done through my PS3 (or PC), and all my console gaming is done through my 360. All my PS3 controllers probably have dead batteries, I use my Harmony remote to control the PS3 :P

I'm somewhat worried about how the PS4 (announced today) will impact the PS3 as a media platform. There's no reason for Netflix to drop support for it, but it might lose the favoured-platform status (Netflix uses the PS3 as their dev platform, so it gets all new features first), and there might come a time where they don't update the bluray playback support if there's some future development, as they have in the past when newer bluray profiles came out (and then 3D blurays). Unfortunately, the PS4's pricepoint is a wee bit too high just to buy it as a media player.
--

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Eug

Re: Media streaming boxes

said by Eug:

What's wrong with it? Have you updated to the latest firmware? The WD TV Live seems fine to me. I've never used the Hub as I stream everything from a NAS.

Yes. The SMB/CIFS client is awful and doesn't see devices on my network and even if it did the video player is quite buggy. Seek support is broken too for at least a few container formats. The Boxee is 10 times better by comparison.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

The 360 has just never been all that good as a video playback platform.

After playing with a friends PS3 I'd say it isn't very good at that either. I couldn't care less about a Blu-ray player.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Guspaz

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm looking for something to use for a new media player now that my 2 Boxee Boxes are never going to get updated. They have always played everything I've ever thrown at them but I would like to use the new Netflix quality. No doubt the PS3 will never get used to play any games or Blurays, I'll see if I can pick one up used somewhere.

Eug

Canada

2 edits
reply to markf

said by Eug:

said by milnoc:

? They get regular firmware updates. My much older Sony players also got updates last year.

BTW, I hadn't turned on my 2008 Sony BDP-S350 since last year. (It's not my primary or even my secondary player. It's on a guest TV.) I turned it on this morning, and there was a firmware update waiting for me. Mind you this one doesn't support Netflix anyway because it's so old. My other two standalone players (S370 from 2010 and S380 from 2011) both support Netflix though. The last update for both was 2012 H2. They're due for updates soon though as there are usually a couple of updates a year.

said by Bugblndr:

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm looking for something to use for a new media player now that my 2 Boxee Boxes are never going to get updated. They have always played everything I've ever thrown at them but I would like to use the new Netflix quality. No doubt the PS3 will never get used to play any games or Blurays, I'll see if I can pick one up used somewhere.

The WD TV Live (latest model) has full 1080p SuperHD support on Netflix. As mentioned, I bought a refurb off eBay for $64 shipped.

It supports up to H.264 High profile 4.1 which is 1080p30. That's all I need personally.

It also supports IR if that matters to you. That is one reason I never bought the PS3. $600 machine at the time and it didn't even support IR. Plus it was a complete power hog.

said by markf:

There are about 70 million PS3's out there.

There are about 45 million Xbox Gold Memberships.

I would say 45 million users should be enough for Netflix to pay attention, although they have ignored 80 million BlackBerry users in the past.

I'm curious to know how many of those Xbox Live Gold memberships are with component-only 360s. Not that it really matters for Netflix, but I'm curious nonetheless.
--
Everything Apple

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Thanks Eug, in further reading it looks like the PS3 has issues playing MKV's over SMB. All my media resides on either a windows or Linux share. I'll take a look at the WD Live, though I don't see it as supporting SuperHD on Netflix website. Time for more investigation.

Etobicoke, ON

said by Bugblndr:

Thanks Eug, in further reading it looks like the PS3 has issues playing MKV's over SMB. All my media resides on either a windows or Linux share. I'll take a look at the WD Live, though I don't see it as supporting SuperHD on Netflix website. Time for more investigation.

PS3 does not even support SMB/CIFS or NFS. There are plenty of devices not explicitly listed by name that do support SuperHD.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

PS3 plays back media files either over DLNA, or off USB sticks directly. For some reason, USB sticks are supported, but USB hard disks are not.
--

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

said by Guspaz:

PS3 plays back media files either over DLNA, or off USB sticks directly. For some reason, USB sticks are supported, but USB hard disks are not.

Exactly, no thanks. DLNA is god awful. Another ridiculously poorly designed spec and protocol by a committee. Poor media player. Overpriced for the limited functionality.

Eug

Canada

1 edit
reply to Guspaz

DLNA sucks

Dunno about the PS3, but DLNA for my Sony Blu-ray players sucks royally. I could never get it to work reliably. Plus, MKV isn't even supported over DLNA on those players for some reason. MKV only works via USB. However MKV on external hard drives works fine in my case.

I wonder if it has to do with drive power. A lot of cheap portable hard drives don't work properly on USB power. I'm using name brand portable drives, which don't have the same power issues.

I didn't see WD TV Live listed as supporting Netflix SuperHD either, but it does (current 3rd gen model, aka the "Streaming" model). The SuperHD icon is there beside most (but not all) of the titles. (I'm on TekSavvy, which supports SuperHD.)

Plus, my Sony Blu-ray players and the PS3 support Cinavia. The WD TV Live has not (yet) implemented Cinavia.

--
Everything Apple

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
reply to Eug

said by Eug:

I'm curious to know how many of those Xbox Live Gold memberships are with component-only 360s. Not that it really matters for Netflix, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Almost none. Component-only XBOXes are the most likely to end up RROD, I'm a little surprised there's any of them still working today, to be honest. I guess if it mostly sits around turned off, or you were a lucky person.

Non HDMI XBOXes were only manufactured for retail sale from Nov 2005 to July 2007. After that all XBOXes had HDMI.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Eug

Re: DLNA sucks

I picked up a WD Live at lunch and immediately updated the firmware. Response time seems decent and I tested out SuperHD Netflix which worked fine. Will give it a more thorough testing with my media server at home tonight. Looks like I have found my Boxee Box replacement. Thanks!

Eug

Canada

1 edit
reply to shepd

WD TV Live Streaming

said by shepd:

said by Eug:

Almost none. Component-only XBOXes are the most likely to end up RROD, I'm a little surprised there's any of them still working today, to be honest. I guess if it mostly sits around turned off, or you were a lucky person.

Non HDMI XBOXes were only manufactured for retail sale from Nov 2005 to July 2007. After that all XBOXes had HDMI.

There's a ton of component-only Xbox 360s still in use, considering that's what MS sold for the first several years. I have one of them.

said by Bugblndr:

I picked up a WD Live at lunch and immediately updated the firmware. Response time seems decent and I tested out SuperHD Netflix which worked fine. Will give it a more thorough testing with my media server at home tonight. Looks like I have found my Boxee Box replacement. Thanks!

Glad you like it.

I really like the fact it has IR, and has full 1080p SuperHD Netflix support, and that access to SMB shares is super easy. I'll have to test a bit more, but if it continues to work as well as I hope, I may pick up a second one for my basement. $70 now shipped from California, from an eBay seller.
--
Everything Apple

markf

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to El Quintron

Not sure why this is happening, but I installed my Windows 8 HD into my HTPC this evening to test SuperHD, but my 6Mbps line is not giving me the results I was hoping for.

I was expecting the line to be maxed while it was playing and video quality to be excellent.

Regular HD in Windows 7 or Xbox 360 looks much better than what I am getting here.

Bugblndr

Burlington, ON

I don't think your 6Mbps line is enough to get SuperHD so it's probably falling back to a much lesser quality.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Are we assuming if you See It Saying a title is Available in SuperHD Your device can therefore play it? I would think its just showing if u had a supported device it can do it, On the ps3 u can press Select to see it cycle up to superhd as it buffers etc.., do these other devices provide a simmilar output for testing?
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON

I know on roku it won't tell you what you're steaming I forking hate that it shows it on 360 and PS3 for sure.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by TOPDAWG:

I know on roku it won't tell you what you're steaming I forking hate that it shows it on 360 and PS3 for sure.

With my Roku you can enable playback debugging and it will tell you what stream rate you are opening.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

markf

Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

I don't think your 6Mbps line is enough to get SuperHD so it's probably falling back to a much lesser quality.

I could understand that, however the quality was less than the normal HD.

Unfortunately Windows 8 doesn't show the quality indicator like Windows 7 or Xbox, so it is harder to troubleshoot.

Eug

Canada
reply to El Quintron

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player

Because the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player has excellent Netflix SuperHD support and good MKV streaming support as well, I just ordered a second one. Note though, I'm on wired Ethernet. The box has 802.11n, but I've heard mixed reviews about the WiFi 1080p streaming on that box. Some get excellent results, and some don't.

Overall though I've been quite pleased with this SuperHD feature for Netflix. It's better than I was expecting. It seems better than Rogers HD cable with less artifacting. However, that's just based on watching a little amount of video so far. I'll have to see more fast-motion titles before I come to a final assessment, but so far it look pretty promising.

Also, I have 300 GB worth of data usage per month on TekSavvy so that should suffice.

BTW, is SuperHD just bringing back the original Netflix Canada bitrates? I remember the ISPs and some customers freaking about Netflix's bitrates so they dropped the bitrates. I wonder if this SuperHD feature is really just bringing us back to what we might have had years ago if ISPs hadn't complained.

--
Everything Apple