share rss forum feed

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Eug

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

said by Eug:

I'm curious to know how many of those Xbox Live Gold memberships are with component-only 360s. Not that it really matters for Netflix, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Almost none. Component-only XBOXes are the most likely to end up RROD, I'm a little surprised there's any of them still working today, to be honest. I guess if it mostly sits around turned off, or you were a lucky person.

Non HDMI XBOXes were only manufactured for retail sale from Nov 2005 to July 2007. After that all XBOXes had HDMI.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Eug

Re: DLNA sucks

I picked up a WD Live at lunch and immediately updated the firmware. Response time seems decent and I tested out SuperHD Netflix which worked fine. Will give it a more thorough testing with my media server at home tonight. Looks like I have found my Boxee Box replacement. Thanks!

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

1 edit
reply to shepd

WD TV Live Streaming

said by shepd:

said by Eug:

I'm curious to know how many of those Xbox Live Gold memberships are with component-only 360s. Not that it really matters for Netflix, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Almost none. Component-only XBOXes are the most likely to end up RROD, I'm a little surprised there's any of them still working today, to be honest. I guess if it mostly sits around turned off, or you were a lucky person.

Non HDMI XBOXes were only manufactured for retail sale from Nov 2005 to July 2007. After that all XBOXes had HDMI.

There's a ton of component-only Xbox 360s still in use, considering that's what MS sold for the first several years. I have one of them.

said by Bugblndr:

I picked up a WD Live at lunch and immediately updated the firmware. Response time seems decent and I tested out SuperHD Netflix which worked fine. Will give it a more thorough testing with my media server at home tonight. Looks like I have found my Boxee Box replacement. Thanks!

Glad you like it.

I really like the fact it has IR, and has full 1080p SuperHD Netflix support, and that access to SMB shares is super easy. I'll have to test a bit more, but if it continues to work as well as I hope, I may pick up a second one for my basement. $70 now shipped from California, from an eBay seller.
--
Everything Apple

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to El Quintron

Not sure why this is happening, but I installed my Windows 8 HD into my HTPC this evening to test SuperHD, but my 6Mbps line is not giving me the results I was hoping for.

I was expecting the line to be maxed while it was playing and video quality to be excellent.

Regular HD in Windows 7 or Xbox 360 looks much better than what I am getting here.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

I don't think your 6Mbps line is enough to get SuperHD so it's probably falling back to a much lesser quality.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Are we assuming if you See It Saying a title is Available in SuperHD Your device can therefore play it? I would think its just showing if u had a supported device it can do it, On the ps3 u can press Select to see it cycle up to superhd as it buffers etc.., do these other devices provide a simmilar output for testing?
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3

I know on roku it won't tell you what you're steaming I forking hate that it shows it on 360 and PS3 for sure.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by TOPDAWG:

I know on roku it won't tell you what you're steaming I forking hate that it shows it on 360 and PS3 for sure.

With my Roku you can enable playback debugging and it will tell you what stream rate you are opening.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to Bugblndr

said by Bugblndr:

I don't think your 6Mbps line is enough to get SuperHD so it's probably falling back to a much lesser quality.

I could understand that, however the quality was less than the normal HD.

Unfortunately Windows 8 doesn't show the quality indicator like Windows 7 or Xbox, so it is harder to troubleshoot.

Eug

Canada
reply to El Quintron

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player

Because the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player has excellent Netflix SuperHD support and good MKV streaming support as well, I just ordered a second one. Note though, I'm on wired Ethernet. The box has 802.11n, but I've heard mixed reviews about the WiFi 1080p streaming on that box. Some get excellent results, and some don't.

Overall though I've been quite pleased with this SuperHD feature for Netflix. It's better than I was expecting. It seems better than Rogers HD cable with less artifacting. However, that's just based on watching a little amount of video so far. I'll have to see more fast-motion titles before I come to a final assessment, but so far it look pretty promising.

Also, I have 300 GB worth of data usage per month on TekSavvy so that should suffice.

BTW, is SuperHD just bringing back the original Netflix Canada bitrates? I remember the ISPs and some customers freaking about Netflix's bitrates so they dropped the bitrates. I wonder if this SuperHD feature is really just bringing us back to what we might have had years ago if ISPs hadn't complained.

--
Everything Apple

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to markf

said by markf:

Unfortunately Windows 8 doesn't show the quality indicator like Windows 7 or Xbox, so it is harder to troubleshoot.

The Windows 8 app lets you view/change the bitrate just like the browser app... CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-S
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

shepd

join:2004-01-17
Kitchener, ON
reply to Eug

Re: WD TV Live Streaming

said by Eug:

said by shepd:

said by Eug:

There's a ton of component-only Xbox 360s still in use, considering that's what MS sold for the first several years. I have one of them.

1.75 years is not several, it's not even a couple of years. It's not even 25% of the current lifecycle of the product.

But here, let's see the totals anyways:

»vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360#···_figures

Quarter 4 (ending Jun 30, 2007) -- Cumulative sales 8.3 million

»news.yahoo.com/microsoft-says-xb···673.html

To date -- Cumulative sales 76 million

That means, assuming not a single one of the 8.3 million non-HDMI XBOXes sold RRODed (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) that an absolute maximum of 10.9% of XBOXes do not have HDMI. Personally, from what I've seen, I would downrate that to ~3% of XBOXes that still work don't have HDMI.

Eug

Canada

The newer units can't get the RROD because MS removed the ability for the ring to turn red.
--
Everything Apple

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

Yeah, and Microsoft completely solved all problems Windows had with Blue Screens of Death by changing the colour of the error screen from blue to black in Windows 8 :P
--

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to swintec

ah cool I'll try that thanks man.

zed173

join:2010-07-17
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

reply to clarknova

said by clarknova:

I love my Roku but I don't know why it's not showing any SuperHD content. It's a 1080p Roku and I see SHD in the Windows 8 Netflix app.

Is anybody seeing SuperHD with Roku on Teksavvy?

Netflix says on their site that Roku supports SuperHD but does not display that tag. My Roku plays SuperHD (can see the bitrate on my router) just fine.

»support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by 34764170:

The Boxee Box supports AC3, E-AC3, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, and DTS-HD.

That list does not match the one on Boxee's official website. You list two codecs which are not on Boxee's official list, and are missing multiple ones that are:

»support.boxee.tv/entries/2070108···-formats

My list came from what is listed as supported by the sound IP core of the Intel SoC. I was finally able to get my hands on some content with E-AC3, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio tracks and Boxee is able to downmix the tracks to 2 channel PCM for S/PDIF and non-passthrough HDMI; I knew they worked Ok with pass-through via HDMI.

Eug

Canada

Are you sure you're not just playing the DTS core of DTS-HD:MA?

Etobicoke, ON

said by Eug:

The more important part of the post was about being able to decode E-AC3 and TrueHD which are not backwards compatible with AC-3 unlike DTS-HD MA is for a DTS decoder.

Eug

Canada

said by 34764170:

said by Eug:

The more important part of the post was about being able to decode E-AC3 and TrueHD which are not backwards compatible with AC-3 unlike DTS-HD MA is for a DTS decoder.

Boxee is known to support TrueHD already. Dunno about DD+, but I would have guessed it would if it already supported TrueHD.

So, aside from DD+, that only leaves DTS-HD:MA, and I would assume that Boxee only supports the DTS core of that, and not DTS-HD:MA per se.

--
Everything Apple

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to El Quintron

It's good that you've verified it, but it's worth noting that the set of codecs supported by a piece of hardware are not necessarily the set of codecs supported for playback in the real-world. Other factors can be in play, such as the development for a certain codec not being done, or a missing license. The reason the Raspberry Pi's accelerated DTS decoder wasn't released when it was finished is because the DTS people won't give them the time of day when they've been trying to buy a license.
--

Etobicoke, ON

said by Guspaz:

It's good that you've verified it, but it's worth noting that the set of codecs supported by a piece of hardware are not necessarily the set of codecs supported for playback in the real-world. Other factors can be in play, such as the development for a certain codec not being done, or a missing license. The reason the Raspberry Pi's accelerated DTS decoder wasn't released when it was finished is because the DTS people won't give them the time of day when they've been trying to buy a license.

All I was getting at is whatever you were looking at and the marketing materials I have seen to date were not clear about what codecs are supported. All too often that stuff is not very clear as to what is supported. Looking around these codecs were supported even from the first firmware release for the Boxee Box.